Ranged Support Fire

ahawk

King
Real quick one:

I was looking through the promotions in the 'pedia, and found Ranged Support Fire. It allows a fortified unit with the promo to give support to nearby friendlies, it sounds like. I skimmed through all the units in the 'pedia twice to see if any had this promo/ability, and none did.

I have five guesses:

1) I just missed which unit has this promo as I skimmed.
2) They forgot to list this promo under one of the unit entries in the 'pedia.
3) This promo/ability isn't listed on the unit at all (a la Pictish Warriors not having their Faith for Kills ability listed on the unit).
4) This promo/ability only appears in one of the official scenarios (Smoky Skies, Fall of Rome, or whatever), of which only the Fall of Rome have I played more than a couple of turns on.
5) This promo/ability appeared in Vanilla and got phased out with G&K

Simple question, and maybe I'm just forgetting a basic unit or am otherwise just not paying attention, but what unit actually has, or had, this promo/ability?

it's buggy, IIRC it was half-working in vanilla, and it does not trigger in G+K.

Anyway, Support Fire can be implemented with a bit of C++/Lua coding, I've done so in my WWII mod.

I vaguely remember this one...

Was it meant to be like in Panzer General where your artillery (ie. ranged stuff) would automatically fire on an enemy unit that came into range?

From the game source code, the Artillery would automatically fire (counter-preparation) on an enemy unit trying to attack another of your unit, in its range.

The main difference is that in Panzer General/5 Star Series is you had supply considerations. Attack a Range fire supported unit enough and that arty piece has no bullets and needs a turn to resupply. 5 Ammo units for the early pieces, 10 for the later.

There is no supply considerations for Civ.

The main difference is that in Panzer General/5 Star Series is you had supply considerations. Attack a Range fire supported unit enough and that arty piece has no bullets and needs a turn to resupply. 5 Ammo units for the early pieces, 10 for the later.

There is no supply considerations for Civ.

Wow. That's a brilliant idea. Sadly, I don't think that would work, but it sounds awesome.

From the game source code, the Artillery would automatically fire (counter-preparation) on an enemy unit trying to attack another of your unit, in its range.

Sounds similar to the AA and SAM.

Also similar to the "intercept" function of Fighters/Jet Fighters

On a related note, I think it'll be great if submarines too had an "interception" function too... like "enemy convoy moves within X tiles of a sub and then it fires a shot at one of the embarked units". Might not help the human player much unless he/she was using them for coastal defense or long-term overwatch, but this should help the AI defend its naval routes better

Top Bottom