Random Map Generator

Oake

Chieftain
I love it. Created one with size 350 x 350 and there is plenty of room to explore and have the maximum number of opponents. Downside is that it is a bit slow.

I get tired of playing on the rinky dinky worlds.

Beware of the maximum city limit. It is either 512 or 1024 I believe. I reached it in one 240x180 60%water scenario I created. Around the year 1 Ad Dominum I could not build a city until somebody raised a city.

What are you guys playing on, supercomputers? :hmm: My computer slows down if I reach Industrial age on a Huge map, and that's nowhere near the sizes you guys are playing...

I like to play on huge with max civilizations, and turns usually take less than a minute in modern age. I only have a p3 1.8 ghz with 568 ram and Ti4200, that’s a pretty outdated system if you wanted to play newer games above 60fps. I would like to play a 350 x 350 map but I cant stand the feeling of game elements not being scaled accordingly, the nuke for instance, still do the same area damage on tiny as it does huge.

I am using a P4 1800 with 256 Mb Rambus RD ram. Computer turns for the other 30 players starts to slow down after ~ 1AD but since I am used to playing multi-player board strategy games and the like, the computer is still faster than humans. When I am at war though, it may take me ~ an hour to make my moves in attacks and complicated trading with 30 other nations in a turn. The computer opponents don't seem to complain though. I just finished a (31 player, 240 X 180 60% water world, research level set to 500, corruption level set for normal "large" map game in 1790 AD with a cultural victory as Greece. There were 2 large continents. I had conquered mine and had 100 tanks, 6 armies, 12 cavalry, and 50 infantry on the other continent aiming for a conquest victory. By this time I had 59% population and 38% area. Total game time was 111 hours. It was worth the wait. BTW, I went to and stayed in Fascism as did the other major warring powers. For the cities not near my homeland, I could force build a tank for 5 people every time the population hit 12.

1.8ghz with 568 megs RAM outdated? :p I have a Pentium 3, 667mhz, with 384 megs RAM, and it handles large maps ok. Although, the editor will sometimes lock up on anything over 256x256. It takes it about 5 minutes to make a random 362x362 map.

Well I'm playing on 1.2 with 512 memory. I didn't realize about the city limit. Crud.

I have AMD Athlon 2500+ with 512Megs of RAM, and everything runs smooth. But yes I thing Civ3 all versions are very hungry abou RAM. I`m not sure about cpu clock.

On my 2.0GHz celeron with 512 MB RAM, huge maps with 16 civs run smooth, but turn times tend get annoying well before 31 civs on 362x362.

My experience suggest that the civ count is more relevant than the map size.

On my 1,4GHz AMD 256MB RAM, 350x350 map, 31 civs, a turn takes as long as 10min. When a civ is eliminated, the game goes faster... a LOT faster.

I think the game's velocity depends more on the number of civs than on the map size; I have to try to increase my ram too.

Moreover, the max number of cities is 512... AGAIN!!! I hate it. They promised us 1024...

Agree with you there. Same huge custom map size is a LOT faster with 8 civs than 16.

an overclocked XP 1800 running at 11x200 and 512mb ram.

Morgan

Now if only the random map generator had an ability to spread Victory Points on the map! That would really be nice.

Please vote for the idea here.

Top Bottom