New Buildings Discussion

Probably. I'm also surprised we don't have a building prerequisite for Artillery. We have Siege Weapons Workshop for the Classical and Medieval eras, and the Cannon Forge for the Renaissance era, but nothing after that. The Cannon Forge would want to be replaced by the artillery building.

I also noticed that we don't have a unit that is simply "Cannon". We have a lot of specially-named siege guns, but no simple Cannon.

Cannon was renamed Heavy Cannon to Differentiate from all the other types of Cannons.

Restaurant chain
Supermarket chain
Car Dealership
Loom House
Biolumen streetlights
Greenhouse
Farmhouse
Shed
Watermill
Wind mill
Horse mill
Pigpen
Post office
Queenslander
Veterinarian

Restaurant chain - Already in C2C (Many Corporation buildings)
Supermarket chain - Already in C2C (Supermarket)
Car Dealership
Loom House - Already in C2C (Seamstress)
Biolumen streetlights
Greenhouse - Already in C2C (Greenhouse)
Farmhouse
Shed - Already in C2C (Warehouse)
Watermill - Already in C2C (Watermill)
Wind mill - Already in C2C (Windmill)
Horse mill - Already in C2C (Donkey Mill)
Pigpen - Already in C2C (Pig Farm)
Post office
Queenslander
Veterinarian - Already in C2C (Veterinarian)

Changes in red.

You should really check the existing buildings before posting new ideas. Same goes for new posts since you seem to be posting new topic that are already made.

I have a question about a new building in Prehistoric Era:
Stone Tool Maker; Gives up to +5:hammers:, +4:gold: +5:science:. Obsoletes at Bronze Working.
All well and good so far, but there's no replacement, no Copper or Bronze Tools to take it's place. The Forge is the closest really that I can find though it's a far cry from the effectiveness of the Stone Tool Maker.
Did people suddenly get a lot worse at using tools at Bronze Working?
Shouldn't a replacement be set somewhere, maybe two, one at and for Copper Tools and one at and for Bronze Tools, each replacing the previous and with slightly different stats? Maybe some more further down the line too, Iron Tools, Steel Tools, Power Tools, Micro Tools, Smart Tools, Universal Tool?
Doing so could also allow for the Stone Tool to not go obsolete, in case of the poor sods not getting Copper or Iron or Coal (unless trading for it allowed the buildings to be built). After all just because we have the technology for using better tools we still need to use the tools we actually have and not some imaginary metal tools.

Right now I'm more loathe to research Bronze Working than Writing as I'll lose more :science: than obsoleting Myths and Elder Council, as well as a load of :hammers::gold: and having no way to replace either.

Cheers

@BlueGenie

I put it in to help move you through the prehistoric era better and give some of those techs some more purpose.

I suppose I could have more types of tool makers for later eras, but it was ment to wrap up at Bronze Working to where things get more complex and harder. I figured bronze working along with being appropriate for building but also from a game balance stand point a good tech one would want to take because of the increase of cities you can build due to Despotism civic. Thus you give up your prehistoric benefits for more cities.

@Hydro

I understand the putting it in for gameplay purposes during the Prehistoric, something is assuredly needed there, but from any other viewpoint it's just weird to suddenly not have any workable tools any more. *grin*
Would it be possible to slowly tone the Stone Tool Maker benefits down as other buildings become available rather than have it all of a sudden not work any more?
That is of course only if you don't plan to add newer tools as the eras go by, which might be interesting anyway. Tools are and always have been an intricate part of human evolution, we are only as good as our tools allow us to be. Depending on what resources you manage to hook up to or secure in other ways your progress will either be hindered a little or boosted along nicely. Also means warring over those precious resources becomes more important than ever. To invade a country to get that Iron for Iron and Steel Tools, or Oil resource for the Power Tools before widespread electricity makes the second generation of power tools readily available. Or to trade for it, or force it from a vassal.
Though, might want to slightly increase the amount of Copper resources generated on the maps then or only a few will be able to have the copper based tools.

On a side not, I mentioned this earlier sometime, the new instrument maker buildings still don't give a resource in the early Ancient Era. I thought they were supposed to do that as without those resources the bonuses from other buildings aren't kicking in.

Cheers

On a side not, I mentioned this earlier sometime, the new instrument maker buildings still don't give a resource in the early Ancient Era. I thought they were supposed to do that as without those resources the bonuses from other buildings aren't kicking in.

Which ones? Only Percussion and Woodwinds are available in the Prehistoric Era. Brass and Strings come later in the Ancient Era. Are the first 2 not kicking in? Or you pointing out the Strings and Brass?

All of the above. The buildings themselves don't give any resources. All the buildings that grant a resource state that in the information when wanting to build it, none of the instrument ones do, nor is it just a typo, no instrument resources are granted at all.
Grain is granted by various farms, Fruit by various orchards, in the format of:
"Provides 1 Grain" or "Provides 1 Fruit".
Not so for any of the instrument makers so the bonuses Music Hut, Music School, and Festival are supposed to gain from the resources never comes into play as one can never have those resources. They just exist but can't be gotten.

Cheers

An idea i had: Paved Roads are still buildable into the Galactic Era. I think extending the chain of Trails-Roads-Paved Roads would be a good idea, like this:

City Streets
Cost: 200
Tech: Motorized Transportation
+20% trade route income
Gold: -1
Crime: +4/turn
Requires Cement AND Oil or Tar
Requires Access to Power
City Size: 6
Replaces Trails, Roads, Paved Roads

Skyroad Control Tower
Cost: 400
Tech: Skyroads
+25% trade route income
Crime: +5/turn
Requires Access to Power
City Size: 13
Replaces Trails, Roads, Paved Roads, City Streets

Teleport Booths
Cost: 800
Tech: Teleportation
+30% trade route income
Crime: +6/turn
Requires Access to Power
City Size: 13
Replaces Trails, Roads, Paved Roads, City Streets, Skyroad Control Tower

What do you think of these? I can code them up if you want.

I was going to add Asphalt Roads where your City Streets would be. The last 2 seem interesting.

Asphalt Roads would work too. Were you planning on adding the Power requirement? I put that in for traffic lights. I don't think you need separate buildings for both, but the difference between the Paved Roads with humans/animals/carts and roads that can handle auto traffic deserves a building upgrade.

If you're going to do Asphalt Roads, you should probably also tweak Expressway, since that currently requires Paved Roads.

I am agaisnt the power requirement. Or maybe give it a slight plus with power, but buildable without nevertheless.
Roads used ashpalt long before traffic lights became common place.
Big intersections used to have policemen standing on a platform in the middle well into the 60s

I am agaisnt the power requirement. Or maybe give it a slight plus with power, but buildable without nevertheless.
Roads used ashpalt long before traffic lights became common place.
Big intersections used to have policemen standing on a platform in the middle well into the 60s

Its not. I have "Electric Street Lights" as a separate building that requires Roads, Paved Roads or Asphalt Rods.

Almost done too. Just getting the icon/buttons read before I go test them.

I have a question about a new building in Prehistoric Era:
Stone Tool Maker; Gives up to +5:hammers:, +4:gold: +5:science:. Obsoletes at Bronze Working.
All well and good so far, but there's no replacement, no Copper or Bronze Tools to take it's place. The Forge is the closest really that I can find though it's a far cry from the effectiveness of the Stone Tool Maker.
Did people suddenly get a lot worse at using tools at Bronze Working?
Shouldn't a replacement be set somewhere, maybe two, one at and for Copper Tools and one at and for Bronze Tools, each replacing the previous and with slightly different stats? Maybe some more further down the line too, Iron Tools, Steel Tools, Power Tools, Micro Tools, Smart Tools, Universal Tool?
Doing so could also allow for the Stone Tool to not go obsolete, in case of the poor sods not getting Copper or Iron or Coal (unless trading for it allowed the buildings to be built). After all just because we have the technology for using better tools we still need to use the tools we actually have and not some imaginary metal tools.

Right now I'm more loathe to research Bronze Working than Writing as I'll lose more :science: than obsoleting Myths and Elder Council, as well as a load of :hammers::gold: and having no way to replace either.

Cheers

Just got Bronze Working and went from a whooping +65:gold:/turn to -53:gold:/turn.
I did get Copper so Forges made up for most of the hammer loss at least.
Science took a double hit as I got Writing in the same turn too. Approximately from 680:science:/turn to 450:science:/turn, at least before entering Golden Age and changing civics.
After that it's 590:science:/turn and -43:gold:/turn. So a Golden Age still makes up for most of the loss, more so in a few turns when I've set down 6 more cities (Despotism) and done something about my gold deficit so I'm able to build School of Scribes in most of my cities.

The :gold: is really the worst part though :hammers: too from Stone Tools Maker is also part of it, and from Writing the Myths obsoleting is all good, but Elder Council should be replaced by either Scribe's School (giving that one back it's +%:science: in that case) or Library (which I see as the better choice, again, which also should get back it's +%:science: in that case)
Planning a Golden Age really helps get back on ones feet after getting these two technologies, my beef is that one shouldn't have to get back on ones feet when gaining better technologies.

Cheers

Edit, at end of same turn:
Set down my prepared 6 cities, used up a lot of my animals for buildings in doing so, and unit cost alone brought me to "only" -22:gold:/turn (went from 280 to 153 in unit cost, 60 to 25 in supply cost, city maintenance went up too of course or I'd have been in the green).
Science went back to around 650:science:, but mainly because the great effect The Great Lighthouse has, especially on newly placed coastal cities. *wide smile* Animals with +:science: buildings helped too. Didn't have enough of those though, this round was a bad start and really bad with animals.

Cheers

Here is another idea I had: I noticed Gunsmith never goes obsolete, and it seems odd to me that an early-Renaissance building would last that long. Also, the Classical to Renaissance siege units have building requirements (Siege Weapons Workshop, Cannon Forge), but the Industrial and Modern units don't. So here is my idea that would tie up both of these: the Munitions Factory.

Technologies: Artillery, Assembly Line
Cost: 250 hammers
+10% military unit production
Additional +10% military unit production with Power (or +5% production if that's not possible)
+1 unhealth
+3 gold
Resources required: Sulphur, Iron OR Steel
Provides 1 Firearms resource, 1 Ammunition resource
Replaces Cannon Forge, Gunsmith
Minimum city size 6
+1 happy with Fascism
+2 unhappy with Pacifism
+10 flammability

Munitions Factory would be required to build the following:
Siege Units: Artillery, Light Artillery, Mobile Artillery, Rocket Artillery (maybe NLOS Cannon?)
Tracked Units: All of them: Early Tank, Light Tank, Tank, Panzer, Heavy Tank M26, Armor M60, Modern Armor, T95, Mechanized Infantry
Wheeled Units: Anti-Air Gun, Armored Car, Light Anti-Air Gun, Mobile SAM

Let me know what you think of this.

@Vokarya

Please hold off your Munitions Factory idea. I have a bunch planned out but I am still waiting on code for units to have more than 3 resource requirements. The gunsmith and stuff is only partially done. I probably should have waited to put it in but I did not want someone else to put in stuff first.

There are o many things I am working on and not enough time to do it all. :(

@Vokarya

Please hold off your Munitions Factory idea. I have a bunch planned out but I am still waiting on code for units to have more than 3 resource requirements. The gunsmith and stuff is only partially done. I probably should have waited to put it in but I did not want someone else to put in stuff first.

There are o many things I am working on and not enough time to do it all. :(

OK, I wasn't going to go ahead with it without some agreement. We can always adjust things later.

here are some building ideas, taken from the paradox game magna mundi:

Bi-annual Fair
Seasonal Market
Mercantile Districts
Commodities Trading Houses
Chartered Manufactories
Religious Courts
Religious University
Communal Learning Centers
Vocational School
Trade College
Naval District
Exchequer
Martello Towers
Polygonal Fort
Military School
Naval School
Military Academy
Naval Academy
War College
Admiralty

and some wonder ideas:

Hanseatic league
gallieo's telescope
the spanish inqusition(didn't expect that did you :)
the old testement
the new testement
homer's odyssey
gilgamesh epic
east india trade company
grimm brothers legends
the communist manifeto

Top Bottom