Taken over 3 nations by 2480BC on Deity - World Map

QwertyKey

Warlord
While I changed one of the rules (I made settlers conquerable - Which you might feel is cheating, but since it's for everyone, I just call it a rule change) and I did admittedly do some reloading (only a couple of times though, and only when I lost to crazy odds, loosing one at 90.7% in my favor, and another at 77.4% in my favor), I feel that this is a good of enough accomplishment to post.

Here are some screenshots. This is probably the biggest Civ accomplishment I've made (except once when I hit Medieval age in 2800-some BC on Monarch, but that was just some crazy goody huts, and advanced start)

This was with the official Civ4 Scenario World Map, which includes all of the 18 civs included in the original game.

Pictures:

http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/1527121_raiul/civ2.JPG
http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/1527122_xrike/civ1.JPG

Uhhmm, when you lose a battle to good odds you reload but when you win with bad odds you don't? And you don't consider this a bit like cheating? As this means that you technically can win every battle by just reloading the entire time, even at 10% odds you must win sometime...

Uhhmm, when you lose a battle to good odds you reload but when you win with bad odds you don't? And you don't consider this a bit like cheating? As this means that you technically can win every battle by just reloading the entire time, even at 10% odds you must win sometime...

I've reloaded twice this game so far (and I've continued the game, now at 820BC), and those two were the only times, when the odds were quite overwhelming in my favor, and I still lost. Until that point I had won only a single battle where the odds were against me (44%), and I had still lost many that were in the 50-70% range. Now (up till 820BC) I have lost a number of 80+% games, and I haven't reloaded (though I have also won a few in the 30% range, not as many though). It's very crucial that things go in your favor (or atleast how the odds say things should go) in the begining. I could have called it quits there, restarted, and redone everything exactly the same, but I figured this would be less trouble.

While I understand that your saying that constant reloading and rebattling would make it impossible for me to lose (because I would win all the 10% battles and such), that's not what I am doing, I have only reloaded twice, both times when the odds were very much in my favor, and I still lost.

Also, the magnitude was quite different. In mine I would have won more than 1 in 10 times, and more than 3 in 4. In the one I won where the odds were against me I would have lost a little more than 11 in 20 times.

On a map as crowded as the part of europe in the world map, the Deity AIs don't have that much of an edge as they, for example, can't all settle a second city.

Another thing is, you can't call using a quechua rush that much of an achievement and rome is hardly different in my books.

And, using raging barbs is close to cheating too on this map :rolleyes:

Lastly, I think if you would've used praets, you wouldn't need to reload anyway :p

On a map as crowded as the part of europe in the world map, the Deity AIs don't have that much of an edge as they, for example, can't all settle a second city.

Another thing is, you can't call using a quechua rush that much of an achievement and rome is hardly different in my books.

And, using raging barbs is close to cheating too on this map :rolleyes:

Lastly, I think if you would've used praets, you wouldn't need to reload anyway :p

By 2480BC you can't get Iron Working.

I'm just saying, I've never seen anyone else do something like this. After I'm done with this game I'll try it again without Raging barbarians (which if I changed my take-over order, I think I could still win with).

What, no one did this so far? I've seen LOTS of screenshots of rome conquering europe far in the BCs, though I don't know the difficulty level. But as we all know the AI is usually easy rushed, especially when having few (no) space to expand.
It may be true that no-one opened a thread here about something like that.

I don't see why you'd want to change order of targets without raging barbs; raging barbs don't harm you in europe where every tile is fogbusted easily with the density of AIs around, but civs like russia, persia, india, egypt, mali, aztec, inka, amerika, ... will be harassed relentlessly, and none of them are amongst your first targets I guess.

What, no one did this so far? I've seen LOTS of screenshots of rome conquering europe far in the BCs, though I don't know the difficulty level. But as we all know the AI is usually easy rushed, especially when having few (no) space to expand.
It may be true that no-one opened a thread here about something like that.

I don't see why you'd want to change order of targets without raging barbs; raging barbs don't harm you in europe where every tile is fogbusted easily with the density of AIs around, but civs like russia, persia, india, egypt, mali, aztec, inka, amerika, ... will be harassed relentlessly, and none of them are amongst your first targets I guess.

Russia establishes itself VERY quickly, and becomes a major problem later. With the raging barbs they were held back at first, but without them they would dominate me if I didn't rush them. I would do Germany, Greece, then Russia without raging barbs, instead of saving them for as late as I did.

On another note, how do the Inca get harassed at all from barbarians? They are completely protected from mountains. If you mean that when they expand, generally the AI for them doesn't do that beyond that area. And the Aztecs and Russians seem to have kicked the barbarians asses without too much trouble.

As for no one has done it before, doing it on Deity it different from doing it on Monarch or whatever the norm level is. Give me come credit for that atleast. And still until now (1140AD) the only two reloads were those first two.

The first country I took over was Germany, then Greece, France, Spain, then I took over most of Persia (declaring peace when they were left to one crappy city and they offered me a tech for it), Arabia, Egypt, and I moved my army into Mali, but it was mostly spent by the time it got there, and while I destroyed 3 of their cities, I didn't gain an territory there (not a big deal though). I didn't take a screenshot, but it was about year 500BC. England had gained a sizeable tech lead, so I went for them next. I didn't like their city placement, so I raised their first two cities, and planned to put new ones, but I was only able to put one, because Russia came in and took the spot for the other. I left England with Iceland, and 2 northern Scandinavian cities for a tech, this was about 200 AD. Between then and now (1140AD) I've put a lot of buildings in my cities, and I've researched rifling and steel, and build a large army of rifleman and cannons (and upgrading a lot of old units - thanks to a Great Merchant). Russia research a lot of government techs. I had high defenses in Egypt (Russia has taken/made several cities in Africa), and along my border with Russia, and I sent 2 armies in, one of about 50 Riflemen, 15 cannons, the other of about 15 riflemen, 8 cannons, and I am Basically crushing Russia. Before the war started they had 2.7 million soldiers, and I had 1.9 million, I now have 2 million (as I've continued to build riflemen) and they have 1.8 million. I Invaded them in the 1000-some AD.

Looking at the world builder (to tell you what's going on elsewhere), The Aztecs (who I still haven't bothered to try to get in contact with) have almost fully taken over North America. Based on how things look, I am thinking that barbarians ran over America (the only Barbarian city in North America is New York) China has taken over pretty much all of the Orient, I never was in contact with Genghis Khan (who no longer exists), and both India and China (and Japan has 1) are building cities on those islands going all they way south to Australia. India and China seem to be catching up to me and Russia in techs.

I have not yet declared peace with Russia, but probably will soon.

I guess my thread should have been titled about how I was going to win, because that was my intention. I'm trying to win Domination victory, so I'll see how that works out.

QwertyKey said:
On another note, how do the Inca get harassed at all from barbarians? They are completely protected from mountains. If you mean that when they expand, generally the AI for them doesn't do that beyond that area. And the Aztecs and Russians seem to have kicked the barbarians asses without too much trouble.
They'd expand way faster without that many barbs, that's for sure.

As for no one has done it before, doing it on Deity it different from doing it on Monarch or whatever the norm level is. Give me come credit for that atleast. And still until now (1140AD) the only two reloads were those first two.
I think doing this in general is not a huge achievement but you seem to go on and fight other civs as well and on deity so it is an achievement. I just don't like ppl shouting "I'm so good I beat deity" (not that you did so...) when they beat deity with cheap exploits (like reloading with quechuas :hide:).

rome is so simple on earth. i have conquered germany, france, spain, greece, russia, england, egypt and arabia by 100AD on immortal before with a massive axe/praet rush

DMOC, tycoonist: exactly my point...

BTW nice avatar, tycoonist ;) :rockon:

They didn't do it on Deity though...

Whatever dude, I just thought I'd post it, as even so I'm pretty sure it's rare to have that done by 2360BC on Deity, as you can't have researched Iron Working by then.

That's not really how it is though. The fights are predetermined just like professional wrestling is. The fight is decided before any combat takes place. You can reload over and over again and the same thing is gonna happen no matter what.

Kawalimus said:
That's not really how it is though. The fights are predetermined just like professional wrestling is. The fight is decided before any combat takes place. You can reload over and over again and the same thing is gonna happen no matter what.
Wrong. Attack a turn later, suicide one more/less cat, attack in a different order; all these things change the roll that determines whether an attack is successful.

Wrong. Attack a turn later, suicide one more/less cat, attack in a different order; all these things change the roll that determines whether an attack is successful.

...Or you could simply turn on the "New Random Seed on Reload Effect" which means that you can keep reloading and attacking and odds are you'll eventually win. (The button means that everything is not preset.

It also should be theoretically possible to win with a 1% chance of victory (seeing how I've seen a unit loose a battle with a 99.9% chance of victory

You've never won at 1%? unlucky you :p

Seriously, I occasionally get victories when attacking ~3%. And of course, if there's the 1% GA-pollution, I get a GA. Tough you can't call that victory...

Top Bottom