The Deity Challenge Line-up #23 - Huns' invasion

T160ish update

Spoiler :
I'm not sure if I will finish this game. Seems I've missed the window for naval domination, since Ash has about 50 frigates, and even considering how crap the AI is at naval warfare, it would be a headache at best. I had to take detours to build culture and CS allies and save from unhappiness and bad gold. Gold problem was solved when I met everyone and started selling my 30+ unneeded Iron and 8+ unneeded luxuries.

Not sure what the quickest way to victory is, now...

Cheapo DiploV? SV with limited war? Readjust my cojones and try to bomb Ash back to the stone age?

The problem with Attila on Continents is that in the period between finishing Honor and tech-ing Astronomy, your units are completely useless. :(

Slightly off-topic, but I don't want make separate thread for it.

I have an idea for DCL April Fool's Day Special - map with advanced era start!

I propose The Ottomans on continents with industrial era start. This would redefined civ strategy for some players almost completely!

Any thoughts?

T160ish update

Spoiler :
I'm not sure if I will finish this game. Seems I've missed the window for naval domination, since Ash has about 50 frigates, and even considering how crap the AI is at naval warfare, it would be a headache at best. I had to take detours to build culture and CS allies and save from unhappiness and bad gold. Gold problem was solved when I met everyone and started selling my 30+ unneeded Iron and 8+ unneeded luxuries.

Cheapo DiploV? SV with limited war? Readjust my cojones and try to bomb Ash back to the stone age?

The problem with Attila on Continents is that in the period between finishing Honor and tech-ing Astronomy, your units are completely useless. :(

Spoiler :
You can kill someone that hasn't frigates yet while going for battleships or play culture/science mixed with naval wars. All caps are coastal. What you describe is one of Huns weakness, unless you can kill everyone by T120, HA and battering rams become useless and you are forced to transition.

Also, is it normal for city state troops to range 10 squares from the city? There are at least five of them lounging near my capital. Is this some kind of prelude to an attack by an alliance leader?

Not normal, but not unheard of. I think it's a faulty algorithm that isn't resetting, but sometimes they wander further than those guys from that Siberian gulag.

I propose The Ottomans on continents with industrial era start. This would redefined civ strategy for some players almost completely!

Any thoughts?

I vote 'no'.

If there is to be anything special about such a map then my vote is for Large size, but I know you won't like that because you don't like the lag. Even though my PC is just about the lowest spec that Civ 5 can actually be played on, I'm down with a Large map for a change. But I'm hoping that the next one will be the Celts Fractal map I rolled or the Arabian one. Not just cuz they're my maps but because they're awesome! :D

Any thoughts?

I vote "Yes" on this idea. Awhile back... on one of the GOTMs... we had an Advanced Era Start. I am a bit too lazy right now to look it up but it was the only map I have every replayed 15-20 times and it was a lot of fun and interesting. It completely changed the game and it only took about 80-120 turns to complete!

Edit: I went back to look it up anyway, it was GOTM 87! It was Germany on Immortal and it started in the Modern Era with Domination only VC. I guess this is why it only took 80-120 turns. However, it was something different and most players including myself were a bit clueless on Build Order and how to start but it was a nice change of pace. This was one game where I seen a lot of players playing the game over and over trying to shave off turns.

Any thoughts?
Sounds like one of the civ scenarios... like Scramble for Africa or Empires of Smoky Skies. I love historical re-enactments, but it would probably take too long to cook a map for Napoleonic Europe -- which was a playable scenario in civ 3, where you could be England, France, Spain, Austria, Prussia, Russia, or the Ottomans during the 1812.

Not normal, but not unheard of. I think it's a faulty algorithm that isn't resetting, but sometimes they wander further than those guys from that Siberian gulag.

I vote 'no'.

If there is to be anything special about such a map then my vote is for Large size, but I know you won't like that because you don't like the lag. Even though my PC is just about the lowest spec that Civ 5 can actually be played on, I'm down with a Large map for a change. But I'm hoping that the next one will be the Celts Fractal map I rolled or the Arabian one. Not just cuz they're my maps but because they're awesome! :D

I vote for Arabia... CAMELS!

T160ish update

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
50 frigates in AIs hands die to a single sub... you just need a handful of them... and AIs rarely beeline for subs, and those that do are tourism-based ones who don't build many war units anyway

Finished with a domination victory on turn 231.
Spoiler :
Unlocked Battleships at T208 and rolled over everyone in the other continent during the next 23 turns. Couldn't do much with frigates so used them mostly for leveling up.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Bungled this one.
Spoiler :
I had great early luck too - t2 Ram, t8 capture Harar (I kept it vs razing, it turned out to have iron and horsies, but happy suffered a while). Got Addis Ababa, then have to make peace as USA DOWs me. Then DOW'd Rome as he was trying to walk a settler past, make peace. Thought I would lose to USA for sure, 0 health and can't kill all melee quickly enough, so I threw an Archer in front of one melee to block and it was like watching a CS - AI suddenly throws units 5 different directions! Mop them all up, back to DOW Haile, so Rome DOWs me - you've all seen Rome's carpet of doom. Addis is traded several times, raze a small coastal city, take down pop 10 city on penninsula - wtf? Can't get anywhere near Rome. USA DOWs again, had made a bunch of green HA's near cap, they hold the fort and leave 2 elite HAs to snipe Rome units, but he keeps swimming Settlers out in the fog. Kill USA's second carpet, but he has now allied Sydney, so I have 2-3 Knights coming at me, and USA has Pikes now. Looks pretty bad, I may play a few more turns, but I don't see how I finish either off, it's already t108.

I'm sure I did many sub-optimal things. Took 3 into Honor left side, wanted to finish Honor, but I figured if things went well I would never get any gold for kills, so went into Tradition. Figured better city bombard would help. I also built a Shrine early, as Harar started on one. Missed a pantheon, but since Addis has SH, once I held it long enough I got a religion (and hence a pantheon) - took Pastures +1c, Tithe, Shrines +1 happy.

Attachments

• 2015-03-11_00001.jpg
    2015-03-11_00001.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 708
Hey Nige. Sorry to hear that Mel Gibson and Tcheky Karyo were giving you a hard time. It's a bit hard to judge from your pics and write-up what, if anything, you did wrong, but maybe you built buildings in your cities? I just built units and more units until I overwhelmed both the USA and Rome simultaneously. When the HAs have logistics and can fire twice and retreat and you have 10+ of them assaulting, it doesn't really matter what they have, pre-Renaissance.

Maybe you didn't assault them hard enough? Hard to tell. Maybe you just had a bad run. Sometimes it's completely different from play through to play through regardless of player.

@consentient
Spoiler :
Well, the fact that I had to run back and forth between fronts didn't help. I should have just pounded USA early instead of chasing down Rome. I got stuck for like 15+ turns inside the USA expo SW of my cap. Had to plop down a citadel, not to advance, but to just keep from retreating! By then he had LS, 1-2 per turn were showing up. Dropped one earlier next to Addis as well, because Rome was starting to outflank me.

Plus Legions were able to kill my HAs in one blow if they flanked them. I also left my 2 best units near Rome to kill stragglers, but even 2 of them with Log couldn't put a dent in a fortified Legion. I did build some buildings - circuses, colliseums, a baracks or 2, later markets as I had neg gpt and little opportunity to pillage. I spent a ton of time just holed up in cities or behind rivers trying to kill melee and not be killed. I was at or over unit max the whole game, it's hard to believe I didn't have enough, but I guess not. I really do hate the swarms of units in deity! It is no fun for me, I am not intersted in extreme challenges, in Immortal I could have run the table easily and then decided to go DmV or not (w/o Rationalism, of course).

Spoiler :
My advice especially if you kill Ethiopia with a free ram is to just beeline HA and make 5-6 of them. That should make you attack USA at T50ish, shouldn't be too hard to drop him then. Once those 2 are out at least you just have one front. You're not even forced to finish Rome, it can wait frigates.

Ah, that was probably my mistake - I got Calendar first rather than beelining HAs, as my happy was an issue (I didn't raze 1st city captured). So I only had 1.5 HA at t50 and 2.5 on t55 - that when W neighbor DOW'd me and I almost died.

Spoiler :
I personally didn't kill Ethiopia early (and it was difficult to kill him afterward) but my bo was:
Tech: Pottery Wheel BronzeWorking Calendar
Capital: Scout Monument Granary Caravan HA x4 Battering Ram (to have 2) HA Library
Used workers to chop the HA
Expansion (went liberty): HA Monument Library Granary

Had some unhapiness until calendar but that's okay.

Killed Washington very very fast with these. Ethiopia was tricky because he went tradition + goddess of protection in my game so I had to wait for ranged HA. Rome was killed very late because Ethiopia took me too long.

Spoiler :

Got a Ram as well at turn 5 and took Addis on 7. I killed Ethiopia around turn 40 because a single Ram wouldn't be enough to kill his expo, so had to wait for 2 HAs. But then I messed up attacking America, rather than just going straight to Washington and branch off there, I tried to kill his expo which was NW of me, safely tucked away in the mountains and that stopped me in my tracks, so this will have to be adjusted a little bit. If it goes well, I'll just harass Rome and try to break them slowly while I tech up

You know what you could do also is, save often. When you get to save often, you can easily load up to the point where you left off so that you can change things un the earlier saves so that later saves could come out more succesful.

Nah, with my desktop still acting up, I'm not risking and currently playing on my laptop. Well, not really currently, I'm at work right now :D but I'm using my laptop and loading takes forever so I'll just burst it for 50 or so turns in a session and if it works, fine, if it doesn't, I have to restart and since it's late in the day and work in the morning, that's usually when I have to call it a day and say oh well, I'll clear up the maps for the weekend

(that was also why the Brazil game took forever to finish, I should have had it done as late as Monday)

Top Bottom