PC Gamer on Brave New World Civilizations

TJ probably does read this forum, because he post a lot in the Crusader Kings 2 forum. Kinda active.

Pre-unification Italy functions too well as part of the city-state system - we have Florence, Milan, Vatican City... some people have griped that Greece should have been broken down into Athens, Sparta, etc. Venice was a city-state, yes, but it had a quite powerful naval/trading empire, and was a massive part of the Renaissance and scientific revolution.

According to Wikipedia, 'Most Serene' could be Genoa, Venice, San Marino or Vermont. I'd rule out Vermont, but Genoa could be interesting (As would Venice), and either would play into the trade routes

It's Venice. Venice is pretty much confirmed already, then we get something about 'Most Serene' and people actually discuss other options?

Crack open a map of Italy and anything in the province of Veneto is fair game for names. And surely some territories running along the Adriatic and island bases in the eastern Mediterranean that a cursory internet search would reveal.

I don't know if Verona was a part of La Serenissima, but Padua, Treviso, etc definitely would be.

Anyways Venice is a great pick. That city produced more than some full-scale civilizations. Especially in the arts, which are a focus for some of this expansion's changes. Also a foremost trading power of the time (their decline was no doubt aided by Ottoman monopoly in political and commercial in the east simultaneously with Portuguese/Spanish opening of trade channels that left Venice out to dry), which just so happens to be another big revamp.

When I was vacationing in Ukraine's Crimean peninsula a few years ago, I was informed that some ruins were "crusader castles." A bit more discussion with the locals seemed to indicate that there was some residual memory of venetian traders from antiquity. That sort of blew me away, especially since the population of the Crimea has changed vastly over the centuries due to war, forced deportations, etc.

Anyway, a nice map of the holdings of the Venetian Republic will serve us well:
Spoiler :

Although some people don't consider Venice a proper civilization (I suppose because it doesn't exist anymore in an independent fashion), it was in its day a legitimate republic.

While I'm not wild on Venice (or any other European nation for that matter), I am inclined to look forward to it. Don't get me wrong, Venice is a really cool, unique choice.

I'm just a bit baffled as to why they beat out other potential civilizations. Others may disagree, but I think that Venice shouldn't be in the game before such civs as Hungary, the Inuit, Nepal, Kongo, etc.

However, if it's already a sealed deal, bring it on. I personally like Venice after all. The Ottomans will have their hands full with both Austria and Venice.

Wow, some of you folks really need to check your history, casting Venice off as a throwaway when it once was a very powerful empire. And then think about some of the "token" civs that are/have been in the game, in comparison.

Whether the civ referenced in that comment is Venice, and it does appear to be so, it is very clearly the one that the writer deemed a "bombshell" and his favorite. There's no ambiguity there. Some of y'all are just reading way to much into things. So that means, in the writer's opinion, that Venice (very likely) and Poland are the two best of the new civs, in that order.

It will be very interesting to see what Venice brings to the table, but I'm sure some of it will certainly related to the new trade system. I expect the UA will be tied to trade. Venice was once a military power as well..both on land and sea. So something like a beefed crossbowman and a merchant ship seems appropriate.

As for the comment about the Impi, I took "weaker than same era ranged unit" simply as weaker than any medieval ranged unit, not some specific unit or UU of that era. Otherwise, it would probably be a little OP...may be anyway.

edit(xpost):
ferret said:
such civs as Hungary, the Inuit, Nepal, Kongo, etc.

While the other 3 are what I'd classify as token, Hungary is certainly a Civ that should be in the game by now. Not sure if it ever has been a delivered Civ.

Btw, guys, for discussing Venice, there is already a huge thread on the forum where pretty much all kinds of angles about whether it deserves to be a civ or not, what the city list will be and what kinds of UA, UB, UI and UU it could have are rehashed million times over. Just saying.

Btw, guys, for discussing Venice, there is already a huge thread on the forum where pretty much all kinds of angles about whether it deserves to be a civ or not, what the city list will be and what kinds of UA, UB, UI and UU it could have are rehashed million times over. Just saying.

PC Gamer releases article with plenty to talk about. Thread turns into yet another discussion of Venice fanboys vs Venice meh

If only there was a thread for that...

:twitch:

PC Gamer releases article with plenty to talk about. Thread turns into yet another discussion of Venice fanboys vs Venice meh

If only there was a thread for that...

:twitch:

Yeah, Venice is being discussed in nearly all threads. I can't wait for the Venice discussion thread to finally be created so it stops.

The article itself, despite the near confirmation of Venice in the comments, was interesting and revealed some new things.

Yeah, Venice is being discussed in nearly all threads. I can't wait for the Venice discussion thread to finally be created so it stops.

The article itself, despite the near confirmation of Venice in the comments, was interesting and revealed some new things.

Indeed. Things like...

1. The +1 Science per citizen now with Royal Libraries. EDIT: Author misconception in the article

2. TJ saying Assyria was consistently the biggest threat through his few runs

3. Pretty much everything he said about Indonesia - they look challenging, but the resource question still remains

4. Cultural victory, he claims, is the obvious path for Morocco

5. Winged Hussar is a Lancer finally worth it

Etc

Hasn't Venice already been confirmed like in 20 different ways now? What's to talk about with them? If it's about historical merits, they are worth it. Don't think so? You'll have to get used to it regardless cause they are now in Civ

Indeed. Things like...

1. The +1 Science per citizen now with Royal Libraries. EDIT: Author misconception in the article

2. TJ saying Assyria was consistently the biggest threat through his few runs

3. Pretty much everything he said about Indonesia - they look challenging, but the resource question still remains

4. Cultural victory, he claims, is the obvious path for Morocco

5. Winged Hussar is a Lancer finally worth it

Etc

Hasn't Venice already been confirmed like in 20 different ways now? What's to talk about with them? If it's about historical merits, they are worth it. Don't think so? You'll have to get used to it regardless cause they are now in Civ

Yeah Venice is most likely in. Assyria being the most fearsome adversary is good new to me since I like to play the science warmonger. :D

Etc

No! I will not most serenely stand for this most unserene deprecation of the most serene Civilization series by the most unserene inclusion of this most unserenly undeserving civilization! This is a most unserene blasphemy of sorts, and I will most unserenely refuse to buy the now most unserene BNW because of the most unserene inclusion of this most unserene joke of a most unserene civ! I will most unserenely never get most serenely used to this!

;)

No! I will not most serenely stand for this most unserene deprecation of the most serene Civilization series by the most unserene inclusion of this most unserenly undeserving civilization! This is a most unserene blasphemy of sorts, and I will most unserenely refuse to buy the now most unserene BNW because of the most unserene inclusion of this most unserene joke of a most unserene civ! I will most unserenely never get most serenely used to this!

;)

:lol:

It's a work around for the Italy Civ. Roman Empire and Italy share the same capital. Just think of Venice as an Italian Civ.
now that i can understand.
but still the area is already well represented. oh whelp a minor quibble realy

Top Bottom