Cultural Victory not viable?

NCDKorrigan

Chieftain
Hi!
I'm by no means an expert, but it seems to me that a cultural victory (in multiplayer!) is hardly possible. There is a definite cap on the speed you can get the 3 types of GP and 3-4 cities seem to be enough to place all the works they produce. You are stuck with 2 digit tourism until Industrial (?) era while you can get so much culture without much work.
Science and domination works so much faster. When you finally reach World Congress you can usually try to get one resolution passed ever 20 turns that will hurt them to variying degrees... but not enough to stop them?

A few other issues I can think of:
- rarely anyone is going to swap you great works in multiplayer (resulting in unused theme bonuses)
- if you want to exert pressure on them (different ideology) you get a hefty tourism penalty
- open borders rarely accepted
- no trade routes and no diplomats when they declare war

Oh, absolutely. Tourism is 100% absolutely useless in Multiplayer now, Culture Victory is basically removed from the game for multiplayer. Just building monuments will hold up tourism attacks until turn 200-250. By that time the game is over 3x.

Unlike G&K, where if you went for a reasonable amount of culture during your first 100 turns and build some key wonders, you would eventually win with culture by default (Diplomacy win was still way faster even then), putting other players on a 'clock'. The pressure of losing to culture was there if you couldnt destroy them faster.

Now, tourism does nothing, absolutely nothing. Whats worse, even Culture got way worse in BNW for Multiplayer, since the policies actually got WORSE, exept for the ideologies. Religion on the other hand, got buffed really hard.

Skip tourism, skip Culture and go Religion. Religion is insane now, while culture has become really mediogre and a culture victory is no more possible.

As of now i dont like BNW at all for Multiplayer. It didnt enhance the gameplay by much, no new units (big letdown). Culture victory removed, culture was nerfed even more. No more depth of gameplay as caravans are basically just gimmicks that change nothing whatsoever. Civs didnt get balanced out (half still useless, still top 10% much stronger than all others). The tech tree is still unbalanced, some wonders are still unbalanced (great wall still not changed). The only thing that is good is the world congress. The change to the timer didnt do much at all, you can still only choose normal timer or flat number.

The random disconnects and game freezes if you click the wrong button during loads and turn ends are still there, multiplayer is not more stable at all, i feel like they changed absolutely nothing in that regard too.

I appreciate the afford but BNW is really a letdown so far. Already have no interest playing just after 3 days, highly doubt it will refresh my love for the game like G&K did.

Top Bottom