renaming cities

LuckyArt

Chieftain
Hi... how does the ability to rename cities belonging to other civs benefit you when playing as Attila? tia

Atilla doesn't rename other civs' cities; he just grabs names for his cities from other civs (e.g., if The Celts are in the game, Atilla might found a city called Cardiff).

No tangible benefit, just adds some flavor. It does help you figure out what AI civs are in the game that you haven't met yet, but I don't attribute any real value to that. And, if you are playing against Atilla, the Ai enjoys some modest misdirection benefit -- just because he has a city called Harar, you can't assume that was an Ethiopian city that he conquered.

Actually, Attila's ability is nothing more than a simple existing feature of the game, that being that when a civilization runs out of their city names, it begins to borrow names from other civilizations.

I guess in theory, the only thing that Attila has, is the ability to know which type of leaders you are against if you haven't met them all.

I wish there were more touches like this that just add immersion to the game.

One thing I wish the AI would do is if it captured a city that belongs to you, to sometimes CHANGE it to a name it prefers. that would be a nice touch.

I always change captured City to a name I prefer.

I just had a tiny map game with 22 Atillas. I founded Atilla's Court, and the rest founded cities from civs that WEREN'T on the map, like Santander, Reims, Tartar, and Omi.

We did, we had an Olympic, except there was no gold, silver, or bronze medals, and it was mostly square dancing with horse archers around battering rams and everybody died.

:lol:

Anyway , this thing of Atilla is ed up , i think they MUST give Atilla his own city names ( because if you go on diplo , and you ned to liberate civs, is a problem going on war against Attila and discovery that his cities named "Kyoto " und "Osaka" aren' t a conquered civs but his cities

The ability of Attila to take city names from other civs has been discussed in several previous threads. It confers no actual game advantage, other than the previously mentioned ability to figure out some of the other civs in the game which you haven't met yet. Then, these threads often degenerate into a discussion of whether the Huns as a major civilization even belong in the game at all. Instead, I offer an alternative.

Warning: what follows is attempted thread-hijacking. What I would LIKE to see is the Huns, being an inherently mobile people, having the ability to change their capital with little or no penalty.

Huns should be a special event civilization that happens when a barbarian successfully takes over a city. They start at war with the civ they took the city from.

Turn on raging barbarians. Don't produce an army at all. Grab your popcorn and enjoy

Yes. I always play with raging barbarians. If you have 3 or more barbarians near a city, they will attack it directly, rather than just pillaging. It is actually possible to lose a city to barbarians.

Yes. I always play with raging barbarians. If you have 3 or more barbarians near a city, they will attack it directly, rather than just pillaging. It is actually possible to lose a city to barbarians.

I had a barb get an attack on a 1 health city once, while a major civ threw archers at it.

I kept the city and lost gold...and again and again as the barb kept coming back.

How do you manage to actually lose the city?

It is actually possible to lose a city to barbarians.

I do not believe that you can lose a city. The best they can do is "loot" the city. (Having this happen to you is one of the more dubious Steam achievements.)

The last few posts re barbs intriuged me, so I fired up a new Diety game with Pacal (raging barbs; post-patch) and proceeded to do nothing to try to stop the barbs. Never fired from the city and never built any military units (sent my initial warrior off exploring, to keep him out of the way, and collect gold from embassies, CSs and ruins), but also never improved any tiles (never built a worker), so there was nothing to pillage. Several barbs (initially 2 brutes, a spearman and an archer) eventually made their way to my capital and danced around for about 30 turns, but never took a shot at my capital. Very disappointing.

What happened was fun though. Since you have to build stuff as you hit "next turn," I built a monument and then a pyramid and a granary, got a pantheon (threw it away on 15% border expansion), started building the only wonder I'd researched (Temple of Artemis) and I GOT IT. Isabella promptly DOWed me, and I paid Atilla to declare war on her (he turned out to be worthless, by the way).

She initially showed up at my capital with 6 warriors and a chariot archer and later added two catapults, another chariot archer and a horseman. I did have the city shoot at her units, and the barbs ate 2 of her weakened warriors before she killed/chased off the initial bunch of barbs. I kept taking pot-shots at her units, killing both cats and taking 7 turns to build walls (her tactics were not inspiring). Two more barb spearmen arrived and I worked with them to keep knocking down her invasion force (the barbs were my ALLIES). When she took out those barbs, and was starting to beat down my walls, I broke down and bought an atlatlist and started building another. I took out a few more units and, when the second atlatlist popped and killed her last warrior, she limped away with only her horseman and a wounded chariot archer.

Definitely the most fun I've had on Diety in weeks.

Interesting, I always have raging barbarians on and they NEVER take my cities. They always back off from doing it. I was going to whine about it, but I get tired of whining.

Maybe it`s my difficulty level as I play on King?

Perhaps the Patch will fix that. I`ve noticed the barbs do seem more aggressive with it.

I do not believe that you can lose a city. The best they can do is "loot" the city. (Having this happen to you is one of the more dubious Steam achievements.)

Yes, you're right, I stand corrected. In Civ V, barbarians will not actually own a city- they'll just loot it- repeatedly.

Top Bottom