Biggest size I can expect to finish game?

Mardragon

Chieftain
Hi,

Specs
970 gtx card
16gb ram
64 bit windows
Decent processor as well( dont remember spec from work)
(Not sure if it makes a difference)

I played C2C on and off in 2014 and enjoyed the mod a lot. I had problems with CTD and memory issues and was never able to finish my games. I read similiar issues, so I took a break.

I enjoy the mod, so I thought I would have a go again. I have updated to latest SVN as off yesterday.

I would probably spend a long time with my save(months), so I would love to reach the end parts of the game and various threads suggest map size and certain add ons cause the problems.

My question is as follows. When you start a game what game size and speed would be the highest option to use?( I want it big and slow :) ). How many AI civs would be advicable and which add ons should I maybe turn off? (I love the add ons, so would like to use as many as possible)

Do I need to expect memory failure or CTD at certain intervals regardless of setup? I noticed previously it took gradually less and less turns between the errors as you progressed in game.

Thank you for any help and comment!

Marathon speed, Huge map, 10-12 AI (12 is default for huge map size).

No REV, No Leader Traits Options of Any kind checked, No City Limits by Civics, No Realistic Culture Spread, No Fixed Borders, No Mastery Victory Condition, No Limited Religions, No Storms (in BUG Options screen), No Aggressive or Ruthless Barbs, No Barb Civ, No Inquisitions, No GEM, LEM, or SEM preset Civ maps, No Size Matters Options

Use Multiple Religion Spread, Select 2-3 Victory Condition of your choice(No Mastery Victory set), Use Perfect Mongoose, Archipelago Maps, Custom Continents (these type maps) (this allows decent Navies to be utilized And does Not throw all AI and player into a congested start area), Multiple Production and Research, Usable Mountains, Larger Cities Without Admin Bldgs, and others I've failed to mention but should be easily recognized in the game set up.

I've missed a few here but this will give you a good game with basic C2C that should see you well into the later stages of the game Eras without CTD'ing. Remember the Eras beyond Modern are still Not completed.

With these settings you should not experience MAFs and the CTDs will be rare. End of Turn (EoT) wait time should also be good well into the later game stages.

And use the SVN to Update regularly.

JosEPh

If you go down in mapsize you can have more civs/options. On Marathon/Large, I am in very late Industrial WITH Rev (and Barb civs although of course there are no barbs anymore) on. Eighteen AIs in my game at present, although admittedly two or three just spawned, and one is down to six units left - while threatening another's only city.

I use and recommend City Limits by Civics (although I disagree hugely with a few of the actual XML numbers - and have changed them for my game), Realistic Culture Spread, all victory conditions except Mastery and Religious (mind you I have only ever won one C2C game and that was Domination), Require Complete Kills, and Fight or Flight. I use Storms but they do raise the processor(?) load for no great gain. Of course you must have Multiple Production and Research, and Usable Mountains. I personally have not yet used Size Matters.

Joseph knows his stuff so if he says some of these options increase the strain on the mod he is probably right. However I find Industrial perfectly playable with my options and much less so without them. I haven't got beyond early Ancient on a larger map, so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on there, but for the most part I do find Large to be plenty big enough.

Thank you very much for your responses! I really appreciate it.

I will roll with your suggestions for my next game, JosEPh_II. Looking forward to seeing the later ages in C2C.

Yudishtira. I love the sound of those options and would really want them in my games as well! I will opt with size in this first attempt however and shrink size for more features later.

It sounds like last year I have added most options and with too big a map and to slow a speed. I guess it would be the reason for my crashes. I figured as much. Want it all :)

Looking forward to enjoying the mod even more now! Cheers.

Most of the options probably won't strain the system. I will admit Size Matters might. There IS a memory issue to resolve in that option if I understand Alberts2 on that. The issue is more about getting unit data costs streamlined enough to the point that we can cycle back in old dead unit IDs for new units and not strain the system if we start approaching the max amount of unitIDs per player actually being IN the game at one time.

Storms are known to be a powerful turn time drain. Not sure about actual memory drain per se.

Hi.
After reading this thread i´m gonna try an new game according to these options instantly. I´ve been haveing problems simular to Mardragon. Love the mod BTW and always will. Giving you some free pr everywhere i go :)

What I usally play is, for instance, barb civs and start as minor. In anciant era there are alot of civs :) but of course that probebly strains the system. And usally the game crashes somewhere in the middle of the classical era.

Relevant to this discussion, what is more taxing on memory (and therefore a bigger MAF cause), number of AIs or number of cities?

In the end it's relevant to map size and how many Cities can the map hold. But it's the getting to that point that is more relevant. The more AI in the game at start ( and the continued creation of more AI thru various Game set up Options) the faster it is to fill the map. Fewer AI takes longer to fill the map than many AI. Does it not?

JosEPh

Relevant to this discussion, what is more taxing on memory (and therefore a bigger MAF cause), number of AIs or number of cities?

I don't think either of those matter much for memory. Map size and number of units have by far the most impact iirc.

Playing on linux with Wine will extend available map sizes and options you can safely enable.

I have a question again.

Today I updated SVN again to 8414?, but I notice when I mouseover the banner left of the minimap ingame that it says v34, C2C build version 7077.

I thought everything was working alright, but I assume I do not have the right version then.

Should I redownload everything and then fire a new game?

Update to 8418 and see if it still says v34 SVN 7077. If it still does post a screenshot and save game in the Bug thread.

JosEPh

The hover over only has the SVN number for the latest version that involved a change to the dll.

Changes to just graphics or XML only update the SVN number but not the one that shows in the hover over.

Thank you guys.

I do believe, without a shadow of doubt, I have made error on the SVN update. Reading my own question the error is really obvious. :)

I double checked the paths and there is an error there in regards to where the mod is stored. Should have checked that before even posting. Before updating C2C even.

I recently got a redeem code from 2K for steam. Even if I bought game a decade? ago. Had to send them a photo of the game discs and my email.

I am just gonna make a fresh install to the steam folder.

Hi,

Now I tried a fresh install to latest SVN version.

When I load a game now, I have no user interface. I starts much faster than it used to for one, so I believe it is correct aside from the missing interface ofc :)

I had a quick google search and have tried setting the program to run as administrator and tried to set No custom asset to = 1 without any luck.

Anyone know anything about this?

Hi,

Now I tried a fresh install to latest SVN version.

When I load a game now, I have no user interface. I starts much faster than it used to for one, so I believe it is correct aside from the missing interface ofc :)

I had a quick google search and have tried setting the program to run as administrator and tried to set No custom asset to = 1 without any luck.

Anyone know anything about this?

If you have no UI then most likely you have 2 copies of the Mod. The Mod "should" be placed in the BtS\Mods folder and Not in My Documents folder. But! if you are using Steam then that's something I can't help you with. As I have no idea how steam structures their Directory path for BtS.

Also no need to mess with No custom asset. It's already set in the .ini.

When you download/ Export from the SVN do you have this set up as a separate Folder outside of the Civ IV\BtS Folder? You should. Then after you have updated the SVN it's just a simple matter of copy/paste. In Your \CivIV\BtS\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos Folder you should delete all files except your User settings file. Then Copy/paste from the SVN folder. Do Not copy the Shell SVN folder, only it's contents (Assets etc, but NOT the .svn file). Double Caveman2Cosmos shell Folders also cause problems.

All this is Not as hard as it may seem once you recognize what is needed to be put where.

JosEPh :)

Ok. Things sink in less slow if I write and you get a chance again to tell me if I am to thick :)

I have fiddled quite a bit with C2C/SVN in the past, SOO I have found 4 copies of C2C on my harddisks in addition to the "shell" folder and the new steam one. It is a bit much I guess 6 variants in different versions :)

I have Civ4 BTS installed, as both Steam and normal at the moment. I have played normal games and it works fine on both installs and with MP on steam. I have played C2C with interface a day ago on an older version with the normal game.

Gonna assume first that to much files is the problem as suggested and start deleting.

Done deleting.

Ok. So I have a fresh install in steam right now called "C2C". I also have a "shell folder" that SVN checks out to called "code"

Should "code" remain permanent and get updated as often as possible, or do you delete it after you have confirmed the mod is working? Does that not make it two copies of C2C files that I should not have on the computer?

After each update I empty "C2C" in bts/mod(leave my settings), then copy/paste from "code"

"Code" is fully updated right now, so I will first try to add it to my Steam game. If the same problem comes up again, I will delete the mod fully from Steam and try the same in the BTS install normal. If both fail to work, I shall delete everything from "code" and redownload from scratch.

I hope I have understood :)

Thanks again for helping!

EDIT: It did not work for Steam. Deleting the Steam version of C2C
EDIT: It did not work with the normal game either. I will now clear out "Code" and download the mod again.

Best way its to create SVN directory in different location then mods.

If you have steam version of the Civ4 BTS then try to copy mod here:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos

Best way its to create SVN directory in different location then mods.

If you have steam version of the Civ4 BTS then try to copy mod here:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos

Yeah, I tried that and in the normal install. Only 1 at a time. Taking care to delete mod of the steam install before trying with the normal.

Now I have deleted every trace of Caveman2Cosmos on my computer and will try again with a completely fresh download.

I will try to do the same again after it is down.

Could it be a problem that I have the game installed with steam and my old install at the same time?

I do not really need the old install anymore, as the only reason I kept it was because I had C2C installed on it, and was a bit worried if it ran with steam or not.

Now I have issues anyway, so no need for it I guess now. Civ4 for Steam has worked in every respect.

I have the Bugmod as well, is there any conflict there since many of the features looks to be in C2C?

After fresh download, I copied the files to C2C normal install. NO UI.

Deleted it of the normal install.

THEN, I added it to steam the same way as before, just as Sparth point out, and now I have a UI.

So the fresh download works, but only for Steam. I am not gonna pretend to understand why one worked and not the other.

Anyho, thanks for the help! Now I am finally gonna fire a game with your suggested settings up in the thread by JosEPh_II. Should keep me occupied for a while and stop my spamming ;)

Build on the banner says 8358 btw

Top Bottom