The Scenarios - Does Anyone Play Them?

CivilizedPlayer

Warlord
So I just got back into Civ V after taking the summer off, and am now playing Gods and Kings for the first time. (For the record, I'm loving it. Gods and Kings is awesome!)

But more to the point, one thing I've noticed on the forums is the utter lack of anyone talking about the scenarios. So I'm just wondering what people think of them. I haven't tried any of them yet, and I'm want to know if they're any good or if I shouldn't waste my time. I remember being pretty excited about them prior to the GaK release. So what do you guys think of them? And if any are worth playing, which should I try first?

Most of them are quite fun, but you can probably "only" spend about 10 hours in each, as opposed to hundreds in the main game. I'd HIGHLY recommend Empires of the Smoky Skies. It's fantastic, polished, and has a really cool and unique victory condition.

I'll give that one a try, thanks. I tried the Fall of Rome one earlier, and thought it was polished but too complicated (and short! 70 turns? I could sink 200 into something that complex). I started as Western Rome and had too many units, everywhere, and wasn't sure what to do with them.

I really enjoy playing Fall of Rome as a barbarian power.

I never play them. I always just do the main campaign.

I'm a scenario fan. I beat the Fall of Rome (my favourite! not a long one, you can play many times without getting bored) as the Byzantines, Franks, Vandals and the Sassanids already, and am still willing to play as the rest. The map is awesomely made and it is really funny to play this :)

About Into the Renaissance, I beat it only two times, as the Byzantines (my fav civ) and as Austria, and I can say it takes too long. The scenario is really funny and I recommend to try it out, but playing it so many times can get boring.

Empires of the Smoky Skies: I didn't try this one. Actually, I started a game but didn't finish it. I, a fan of historically accurate things, didn't like it when I heard about it, but once I tried it out I liked it a lot. Am currently playing Fall of Rome again, this time as the Celts.

II've played the samurai invasion one, the Polynesia one, and conquest of the new world, and the mongol/ danish ones... Pretty much all the scenarios that aren't G+K. I don't know why, it's just every time I think "maybe I should try the G+K scenarios my brain just goes "...Nah, I'll just play a standard game of G+K.

I am not really fond of scenarios, but I have to say the New World and Polynesia one are both great with a lot of re playability!

I really like (and I cannot make a rank for the following):
- Monghol scenario, just makes you happy if you succed on deity here, considering how many enemies you got
- Into the renaissance, really immersive! but long games.
- Wonders of the ancient world, the deity games are extremely intensive. a real challenge

The others are all too easy, but danes and korea are ok. dislike the others somehow, especially polynesia. perhaps its because I just HATE kamehameha and his civ. When i forget to deactivate that guy and i meet him in game, chances are good i just retire right away. :)

I wanted to play empires of smoky skies but I don't wanna play on tiny map :/ so i raged and quit the scenario.

mdl5000: That's pretty much why I get frustrated with some scenarios. I start and I have no clue what to do, since I've got like 10 cities and armies everywhere. But I actually have really enjoyed the Smoky Skies one (which I just started), because you start with a very small amount of people and no founded cities.
I also like the victory conditions for that one, since there's no turn limit. I hate starting a scenario and knowing I have x turns to complete my objectives.

Top Bottom