Building city on terrain (also terrace farms)

Athenaeum

Prince
This is an interesting topic and I figured there would be people here with more experience on this than me.

I've been fooling around with the IGE mod and one of the things I've been doing is testing how terrain affects the city tile.

Apparently, building on top of bananas or citrus does give your city tile extra food if you have a granary or sun god pantheon.

I also surrounded my capital with mountains and put a terrace farm on the city tile, and it acquired all that excess food!

Does this mean that if you're the Inca and you build a terrace farm on a tile before you settle there, you will acquire extra food in your city tile?

This is kind of amazing IMO...

Does this mean that if you're the Inca and you build a terrace farm on a tile before you settle there, you will acquire extra food in your city tile?

Since you can't build improvements (other than roads) on tiles you don't own, you'll have to wait until your existing cities expand out to the 4th/5th rings before you can try this experiment. But I'd be interested in finding out the answer. It might make building a late-game city a little more bearable.

On rare occasion, I have planted a late city on an improved tile -- this would be near where a city was razed -- and some of those times I thought the city tile was getting a better yield than I had expected. Now I wish I had been paying better attention to the phenomenon as OP might be onto something!

Planting on a resource or lux gives an extra yield, so no surprise there, but this game mechanic might be above and beyond that...

Since you can't build improvements (other than roads) on tiles you don't own, you'll have to wait until your existing cities expand out to the 4th/5th rings before you can try this experiment. But I'd be interested in finding out the answer. It might make building a late-game city a little more bearable.

Well it definitely does this in the IGE mod, so I think it probably would outside of the mod as well, hopefully I can verify it someday.

But I realized your point after I started this thread, that you cant produce terrace farms outside your territory anyways :sad:

Do you think that settling on top of a citadel would deal 30 damage to enemy units adjacent to your city, or settling on top of a fort would give some type of defensive bonus to your city?

Also every city tile gets a free road correct? If you built a manual road (let's say on top of a hill) in speculation of future city placement, would you end up having to pay that extra 1 GPT for the whole game even if you settled there?

Just throwing a bunch of questions out there in case anybody knows the answer...

Top Bottom