Looking for more Civ4 youtubers

ShaggyPorkchop

Chieftain
watched a lot of chris (AbsoluteZero) and TheMeInTeam

looking for another youtuber to check out

i'm still only good enough for prince/monarch
(came close to beating emperor the other day, but still no cigar)

any suggestions?

If you are looking for YTers to learn the game, there is not much out there really. (well, at least of educational value)

Sullla has a couple I believe that are okay. I think Emperor level. I did not agree with all the things he does, but he will certainly help with the basics.

Quill is terrible at Civ IV by the way, but you may want to watch for entertainment. He's probably worse than you are right now...ha (not being critical, just factual.. I only think he's play IV a couple of times. He plays a ton of different games)

I learned the most from AZ. Note that he has tons of CIV videos on his channel, so there is plenty to watch and learn from.

I did one full LP (see sig) years ago. It's IMM and I've improved my game since then, but you might pick up some basics. It will bore you to tears and make you run naked and screaming out into the yard .

I can't think of any others of note. Best you can do probably is use YT search from "civ IV guides or let's plays". Just note the difficulty they play. You probably want to at least be watching Emperor/IMM players. If they are playing lower than that you likely won't learn a thing. Also, if you are winning on Monarch, you may have some basics down so can probably spot LPers that don't know jack.

GrimithR has some too. He plays on emperor/immortal. He's entertaining to watch play. Not sure if you'll learn a lot, but fun to watch.

watched a lot of chris (AbsoluteZero) and TheMeInTeam

looking for another youtuber to check out

i'm still only good enough for prince/monarch
(came close to beating emperor the other day, but still no cigar)

any suggestions?
So, you are more interested in winning at a higher level, than having fun playing the game?

Since when are both irreconcilable?

I'm not sure "irreconcilable" is the right term you are looking for, but winning at the highest level and having fun don't necessarily go hand in hand with each other. While winning at Deity may be an accomplishment, the struggle and frustration getting there might not be considered "fun" by all players. Especially since the big headstart and extra bonuses the AI gets at those levels can seem unfair. But, to each his own.

I'm not sure "irreconcilable" is the right term you are looking for, but winning at the highest level and having fun don't necessarily go hand in hand with each other. While winning at Deity may be an accomplishment, the struggle and frustration getting there might not be considered "fun" by all players. Especially since the big headstart and extra bonuses the AI gets at those levels can seem unfair. But, to each his own.

Winning at Deity will at least feel like an accomplishment, but overall I'd probably agree with you that it's not really "fun" and can feel more like work because you need to keep on top of absolutely everything to keep the AIs under control. That is one of the reasons I like to play at Immortal. You can still get away with a lot more than you can on Deity, and the game is simply more fun.

That said, it's certainly possible to both have fun with the game, and play it at a high level. It is a game, however, and we all have different approaches and time commitments, so not all will have fun playing on the high difficulties, nor want to invest the time needed to be able to win there.

won on Emperor twice and Immortal* for my first time tonight (5 AI, tiny map), thanks to lots of practice and watching a lot of chris, sullla, and theMeInTeam
*I did play with tech trading off

Immortal was less fun than my Emperor games, but I'm happy to know my style of play can beat immortal. I whip much less than the pros and automate workers much much sooner.

I find the game more fun with space race & culture victories off. So my first immortal win certainly comes with some *'s

Top Bottom