Earliest space victory possible

humbe

Warlord
Thought I'd try to set me an interesting challenge, and here's the scenario:
- Win as early as possible with space victory.
- On Emperor difficulty, with latest version of the game.
- With 7 civilizations in the game. Adds chances for trading tech, but leaves you having to play a bit of offense/defense too.
- Earth map, with any of the resource/hut layouts created by the game itself.

Testing the space conquest linked below, I managed to get to Alpha Centauri by 3080 BC, but that felt like cheating, as it was on chieftain where happiness is a non-issue, and spaceship was prebuilt so you didn't need any production, so one just needed to pop huts for tech and then one is finished. Will take more time in a normal game. And it will be harder to know how much to invest in expansion to get enough production. Early attempts have gotten me to J.S.Bach and Democracy by 3000 BC and RailRoads invented before 2000 BC, but I've restarted finding room for improvement. Trying to figure a way to play as optimal as I can.

If anyone is interested I may post game details of my own attempt.

How early have you managed a space victory?

If I remember correctly, if you want to win before 1000AD, your space ship must arrive at Alpha Centauri in 20 year intervals, otherwise your space ship will be 'lost' or your victory won't count.

Eew.. Thanks for the tip. Optimizing how to get into position to tech all the required bits and get into a state with good build capacity first. Sounds like I need some research once I'm there to figure out how to build a ship that runs in usable amount of time. At least space ship will reach destination in few game turns then :)

Looks like wiki has useful info here: http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Spaceship_(Civ1) Seems there's a simplistic design with few elements that will reach destination in 20.0 years.

If I remember correctly, if you want to win before 1000AD, your space ship must arrive at Alpha Centauri in 20 year intervals, otherwise your space ship will be 'lost' or your victory won't count.

Yep.

see
CiV1 - THE SPACE RACE CONQUEST (Ver. 3)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=526175

Spoiler :
cause the game a flight time of
a minimum of 20 years ( "20 years" is ONE TURN ingame before the year of 1 AD)

EVERY FLiGHT-TiME LOWER
THAN "20 YEARS" would CAUSE PROBLEMS
SCORiNG YOUR GAME

Ooh.. That's a similar thread to what I was trying for.. I thought I was doing well in my example game here, but finishing 2560 BC sounds hard. I'm at 3320 BC currently, getting close to completing J.S.Bach and 4-5 techs away from railroad, but if I'm to finish in 2560 BC, maybe building J.S.Bach is too much of a detour. Well.. Guess I'll continue my effort and see when I manage it, and I can look back and see what can be improved. Have mostly been testing how I can get to a large empire with large production and research capability fast, but maybe I'm overshooting what I need for a minimal spaceship..

But why are they happiness cheating playing Chieftain? I'm playing Emperor :) Oh.. And they don't even have to build the spaceship. Maybe I'll give that save later to test their specific scenario.

Did a good run of the space race conquest linked above by Goldberg and posted 3080 BC spaceship result there. Next I think is to go for a real game as I started out with, to see how much more to actually build the spaceship and battle barbarians and opponents.

Top Bottom