Well done, Gandhi!

DGDobrev

Warlord
Well, here's something I have never seen... I do not mean a 32 pop city, as I had those, but near the end of the game... Just look at the year! And it keeps growing... Where the hell does the AI get so much growth per turn? 4 turns ago is was 30...

If that's the case, I feel bad we dropped India so quickly from the Civ Elimination thread :D

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 781
Keep in mind, the AI gets a bonus to growth rate.

Here's the line for deity in the handicaps file.
<AIGrowthPercent>60</AIGrowthPercent>

That indicates the AI only needs 60% of the food a player needs in order to grow their city.

Oh, and I bet on Deity that is enhanced. My oh my, what kinds of tricks the programmers use to make the game harder for us. Still, it is a great thing to see... And to prove this, that city is 35 as I post this...

That's insane. In addition to the AI bonuses, I assume it's the result of a crazy combo like Tradition + Fertility Rites + Swords to Plough shares + Hanging Gardens.

It looks like he has both the Hanging Gardens and the Temple of Artemis (or is that temple of zeus). This would give him +10 Food, and +10% Growth, or +11 Food, along with the fact that he is surrounded with farms. It's pretty crazy, nevertheless.

he doesn't, however the spy button in the UI is always there

No, you can see his spy icon in Delhi.

The answer is that it's a Deity game. Where it's not uncommon for AI to reach Renaissance that early. I've seen it on Immortal, too.

And on top of all that other stuff, the terrain is pure cheesewhiz for population growth- all pure green grassland with rivers all over the place. Ghandi must be creamin' his toga.

It looks like he has both the Hanging Gardens and the Temple of Artemis (or is that temple of zeus). This would give him +10 Food, and +10% Growth, or +11 Food, along with the fact that he is surrounded with farms. It's pretty crazy, nevertheless.

Imagine this:

Aztecs with Temple of Artemis, Floating Gardens, Hanging Gardens, Fertility Rites, Swords to Plowshares, and We Love the King Day. I managed to get to Size 60 at around turn 330 or so. This was a start with at least 8 Flood Plains! Needless to say I was tech leader even if I was only one city.

No, you can see his spy icon in Delhi.

The answer is that it's a Deity game. Where it's not uncommon for AI to reach Renaissance that early. I've seen it on Immortal, too.

You are 100% correct, that's a Deity game. I was playing Korea OCC. With a decent Tech-oriented civ you can enter the Renaissance around T85 yourself, or T75 with help, as most enemy civs beeline to Civil Service, while you're still researching Education (for example).

Well, we all know the AI cheats. However, for this type of thing, it's called "strategy for the player." In other words, be sure to get wonders like Hanging Gardens (fairly easy if you beeline, and sometimes even if you don't). If you have it, the AI can't. I often take wonders to keep them from the AI, and they have the added benefit of being free of maintenance costs. :) So, sometimes I take them simply to avoid producing units or buildings that cost me gold I do not have (a far greater cheat for the AI... the gold, that is).

Unfortunately, that is not possible on higher difficulties. While I thoroughly agree with the HG idea, if you have mainly builders as adversaries (and please, God, not Rammesses again!!!) you will barely be able to get many wonders up and running. The AI usually starts with a swarm of techs - they build GL and/or ToA by T27 (if not, you have time for ToA till T36-37), while you're still researching the simplest techs, HG between T45-50 and Petra around T60 but rarely the Oracle. If you can't deal with those deadlines, you will be left wonderless for the better part of the game.

What's worse, if Rammesses is there, he will get the PT before everyone else, so any dreams of a decent Science victory go out the window :) Happened to me like 5 times already, so when I see him, I usually just exit... That crazy wonderbuilder is even more wicked on Deity.

Well, we all know the AI cheats. However, for this type of thing, it's called "strategy for the player." In other words, be sure to get wonders like Hanging Gardens (fairly easy if you beeline, and sometimes even if you don't). If you have it, the AI can't. I often take wonders to keep them from the AI, and they have the added benefit of being free of maintenance costs.

The problem usually is the route to Hanging Gardens:
Archery-Animal Husbandry-The Wheel-Mathematics

Doesn't unlock quarries if you have marble, no shrine, no pyramids, no nothing. Very risky on high difficulties.

Mining-Masonry-Pottery-Writing-Philosophy

unlocks Pyramids, the NC, Oracle, granary, library, quarry, etc. I usually chose this tech path before the Mathematics one, mainly because I know I can snatch the Pyramids and the Oracle on Immortal difficulty, and there is no way I can get Temple of Artemis and Hanging Gardens. If you get beat to the HG it will set you back big time.

Top Bottom