Is it possible to have a great ancient empire in this game, like Persia or Greece?

CivAddict2013

Warlord
I know the topic is kind of complicated. But basically, if you look back in history, in the BC Era there were many great and large empires like Persia and Greece.

However, is it possible to have a large ancient empire in Civilization V before the AD era? As great as Persia or Greece? As fast as the Ancient Era goes it seems not.

If not, are there any mods that make the Ancient Era longer?

I'm pretty sure there is a slow research mod out there that can give you more time at each era without having production penalties. I haven't tried it myself though.

This is pretty hard to do (outside of playing on an easy difficulty), because for gameplay reasons the world is much more stable than in real life. If the game were realistic, civs would come and go, split and merge, based on the whims of leaders, people, and random events that no one really has control over. In-game, it's all pretty much determined by the map, starting locations, and the actions of the players. Also, the game is deliberately designed to make it hard for a player to lose their land early on (except against civs such as The Huns and Assyrians, and even then...)

The slow research mods help, but once you have one civ dominating the others, it will continue to dominate unless the player of that civ decides to give away cities.

Theres slomo science mod to slow research. There are also mods that locks the game at a certain era.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The funny thing is, if Real Life was a game of Civ, the Mongols would have been a runaway and the game would have been over. But where are they now? Just a little half-forgotten country and not nearly as impactful on the global scene as they once were.

The funny thing is, if Real Life was a game of Civ, the Mongols would have been a runaway and the game would have been over. But where are they now? Just a little half-forgotten country and not nearly as impactful on the global scene as they once were.

The Mongols? If real life were a game of Civ then the Mongols wouldn't exist, it would be the Greeks or the Romans in charge of everything, maybe even the Egyptians or the Persians.

The game doesn't (not without mods) currently really implement civil wars or pandemic. Disintegration into regional states started the process and the Black Death really killed the Mongol Empire. In the mass chaos, individual nations rose again.

So, to the OP's point, the game doesn't really allow that kind of scenario anymore than it does civil war / plague.

Also Byzantium would have lost half of their population in one turn. But that stuff was taken out because it makes players sad.

And yes, you can get a big empire if you play Rome, Persia too I'm sure.

The empires you mentioned didn't reach their full glory until they were into the classical era, around 1000-500 BC. They achieved their greatness through lots and lots of conquest. If you play on a slower speed in Civ and put an early focus on wars and expansion, its definitely possible to create an early "great" empire. It's just generally not as good of a strategy as building up science and economy before launching into major wars, gameplay wise.

The empires you mentioned didn't reach their full glory until they were into the classical era, around 1000-500 BC. They achieved their greatness through lots and lots of conquest. If you play on a slower speed in Civ and put an early focus on wars and expansion, its definitely possible to create an early "great" empire. It's just generally not as good of a strategy as building up science and economy before launching into major wars, gameplay wise.
Thanks. I might try playing it on a slower speed then.

For me, when I want to have an ahistorical, arcade-game-style experience, I play Civ 5. For a more in-depth, historically functional and accurate game, IV : Rhye's and Fall : Dawn of Civilization.

There are mods that let you stop the tech progress after a certain era - so you could end it after the medieval or classical era, etc. and there would be no more progress

Top Bottom