The Cinemod

I have the file (700 MB), but I am not sure if I am allowed to upload here file of that size.

Well, I am not so much of a technical person and have no experience with this cloud stuff, but if you can send me some kind of 'manual for idiots' via private message, I'll try my best to upload it.

Where can I find a copy of this mod? I've somehow lost the one I had.

I have the file (700 MB), but I am not sure if I am allowed to upload here file of that size.

I was out of the country back in October and November, so I guess I missed the initial post. Just saw the replies today. (Jarovid, thanks for helping out.) I'll check around for a hosting site in the next few days, though if anyone knows of one now, feel free to let me know.

**Edit**

I spent a little time checking things out in preparation to re-upload the file, and it has led me to change my mind. While the Cinemod has always been a bit of a turd, looking again has revealed an unacceptable degree of craftsmanship. I doubt the Cinemod will ever reach the level of artistry and sophistication in play mechanics that other mods reach, but I can make it better than it is now. So with that said, here is a look at the way the techs are being updated.

Spoiler :

That means time of upload is indefinite, as if that wasn't already the case. If anyone feels they need some Cinemod beforehand, who am I to stop you? Just post saying so. :D

Node60, Blue Monkey, thanks for your (continued) interest.
You're both correct that the download links are still unavailable. I'm still in the process of updating graphics; it's quite a large chore. I don't plan on making major changes to the play-mechanics now, that'll have to wait on a future update. Though, even after I finish all the buildings, which I'm about half-way through the second era, I still need to work on the resources graphics and a few other things. Hope you guys won't mind the wait.

In the meantime, here are a few of the new Cinemod buildings.

"roach coaches" :D can't make a movie without them.:lol:

Speaking of la cucaracha, I found a nice roach icon, though it hasn't made its way in yet. There is already a pest control building, but it was originally for spiders from Arachnophobia. Maybe roaches will crawl into the next update with Men in Black, or something.

Still a bit to do, but here are some of the new resources.

Nearly done, I think. It's not posted yet though; I'm thinking about having one more run-through. I couldn't get around to a goal I set long ago to increase the civs, but I hope I can get that accomplished in the future. So, there are still only twelve. (With that said, I didn't mess around changing the civ-traits this time as I expect to overhaul them when new civs are added. If anyone wanted to change a trait to suit them-self, I'd certainly understand. As well, there are no first era Unique units, so those will have to wait for added civs too.)

Here are the Studios that are present and accounted for.

Nice! Tristar is just hilariously ironic.

I couldn't get around to a goal I set long ago to increase the civs, but I hope I can get that accomplished in the future.
When you do get to that, if you want any help with logos for foreign studiios - such as the Asian ones that produce a lot of wuxia films, for one example - let me know.

Nice! Tristar is just hilariously ironic.

Hi Drakarska. Thanks for the comment. I certainly can see what you mean about The Drunk*, but actually I think that if any of the others are less ironic, much is owed to coincidence. The Unique Characters (UU) were basically set up by script (tech) and Civ traits had little to do with choices. The largest factor in choice was what units were available, and how I could relate them to a movie. For some like Jack Sparrow, the work was done for me; it had to be Pirates of the Caribbean. For others like Inspector Gadget, I was just fortunate a unit maker had made something resembling the character from the show/movie. Now, did I spend lots of time thinking which traits best went with Inspector Gadget? I can't remember. I made this four years ago and don't remember many of the reasons for things I did. But, we can say I put a lot of thought into it. ;) However, another factor to consider in this was I was more thinking along the lines of Cinemod traits. Industrious = Documentary and Scientific = Sci-fi. So, does Touchstone really exemplify those traits? Perhaps in some ways, but I took a lot of creative license to make it work. (You've definitely made me think that I'll have to consider these things more in a future update.)

In case anyone wondered why there aren't any agricultural or seafaring traits listed, that is because the original mod was played on a pre-made map. Seafaring worked against what I wanted, and Studio trucks (settlers) are auto-produced, so I didn't feel a need for those traits to be included. Seafaring will probably make a comeback if I ever do get around to a larger update. Agricultural probably won't. I like auto-produce settlers. The initial game pace is slower and less frantic. It takes a little longer for the map to get filled up, but it does get filled, easily by the end of the first - middle of the second era.

*The Drunk is a great unit, but I don't know how much longer he's going to last in this mod. The problem is that he walks soooo slow, and if you have to watch 50 Drunks move across your territory, you just want to pull your hair out. I could adjust his speed, but I imagine Vuldacon, the creator, was very meticulous to sync the sounds with the movements and I'd feel horrible ruining his work. The Drunk is supposed to come from the movie "Killing Zoe" though actually he shows up with "Bandits," both bank robbing movies. Unfortunately, I've not yet found a suitable bank robber replacement.

When you do get to that, if you want any help with logos for foreign studios - such as the Asian ones that produce a lot of wuxia films, for one example - let me know.

Blue Monkey, your offer is much appreciated. It's crazy, to me, how we had this same conversation years ago. I can admit that, other than real life getting really busy in the past few years, the reason I never accomplished the goal was I became overwhelmed by the animated leaderheads. To try and make each one original and better than the previous, it really took some time and thought, and making more than 100 new leaderheads was more than I was up to. Looking back, if I'd kept a slow but steady pace, they'd probably all be done by now. Anyway, I did come up with a plan back then and it looks something like this:

Studios
Major
(A)
20th CF
Rko
WB
Paramount
MGM
UA

Universal
Columbia

Mini-Major
(B)
The Weinstein company
Lions Gate
Dreamworks
Pixar
Tristar

Castle Rock
Walt Disney

Indpendent
(C)
Focus Features
Miramax
NLC

spyglass entertainment
Summit Entertainment
Dimension films

International
(D)
Shaw brothers
Romoji
Polygram filmed entertainment
Cinecetta
Tojo
Bavaria film
Les Films du Poisson

I can't say if/when I will get around to adding these, or if they'll ever all get animated leaderheads, because life is still busy and I need to take a break for awhile. I've been spending a little too much time on this project recently. (Maybe the slow and steady pace is again what I need.)

However, once again, if there is one in particular you'd like to see (that's not listed,) by all means share. You've been following this mod from day one and I'd be happy to include something for you. :) You got the centaur in and I think that was a great addition, so I'm definitely open to other ideas.

So, I've been play-testing it a a bit recently and last night I could finally see the whole world - end of 2nd era start 3rd. (I must have lost nearly 30 suicide galleys before map trading became available.) I am a little worried that while it's challenging in some ways, it hasn't been difficult for me. Though, with me being the dark red on the bottom right, it's clear I have my work cut out if I do want to win. I'm a little disappointed the civs/studios in the top right didn't have much to work with and won't present much of a challenge if/when I take over the continent, but I guess that has as much to do with random maps as anything else.
minimap.png

I need to tweak the resources just a little and make sure all the buildings come up as they should and then it'll be ready to upload. Not too long now.

Well, 2.1R is here for anyone interested. The downloads are in the last spoiler. In the next few spoilers I've included some basic information that I thought might be useful for anyone unfamiliar with the mod. "R" stands for "random map," as the original Cinemod map is not included at this time.

I would like to update this mod further someday, so any feedback that could make the mod better would be appreciated.

I recommend deleting any previous Cinemod folders if you have them to avoid potential conflicts.

Back ground info:
Spoiler :

Cinemod Jargon
Studios - Civs
Movie sets - Cities
Characters - Units
Scripts - Techs
Props - Resources
Back drops - improvements
Stages - Small wonders
Grand/great Stages - Wonders

Cinemod Trait names
Blockbuster - Commercial
Action - Militaristic
Sci-Fi - Scientific
Cult Classic - Religious
International - Expansionist
Documentary - Industrious

Movie Studios:
Spoiler :

Note:
I've personally never played this on less than a large map with all 12 studios. I, of course, recommend playing with all 12 studios to get the full experience. However, I understand not everyone will want that. So, I really don't know how the Cinemod plays out on tiny, small or standard maps. If you do choose to play with less than the full 12 studios, I suggest you make sure you have a balance of Foreign and Domestic Studios, as listed below. If you happen to play against other studios and none are in your distribution channel, it will severely limit your ability to trade techs and resources.

Foreign Distribution
Studio - Traits - UU(era)
20th Century Fox -Cult Classic, Blockbuster- Crocodile Dundee (2nd era)
Columbia -Action, Sci-Fi- Ultraman (2nd era)
Lions Gate Films -Documentary, Blockbuster- Steam Spider (3rd era)
MGM -International, Blockbuster- Daemon Prince (2nd era)
Miramax -International, Cult Classic- Beatrix Kiddo (3rd era)
Warner Bros. -Action, Blockbuster- Voldemort (2nd era)

Domestic Distribution
Studio - Traits - UU(era)
New Line Cinemas -Cult Classic, Action- Steampunk Rhomboid (3rd era)
Paramount -Action, International- Master Mantis (3rd era)
Pixar -Sci-Fi, Cult Classic- Buzz Lightyear (3rd era)
Touchstone -Documentary, Sci-Fi- Inspector Gadget (3rd era)
Tristar -Action, Documentary- The Drunk (2nd era)
United Artists -Documentary, Blockbuster- Captain Jack Sparrow (2nd era)

Buildings requiring buildings:
Spoiler :

Buildings requiring buildings
Food Truck - SAG/IAA (Screen Actors' Guild/International Actors' Association)
Colosseum - SAG/IAA
Royal Academy of Arts - SAG/IAA
Research lab - SAG/IAA
SAM Missile Battery - SAG/IAA
The Oracle - SAG/IAA
Leonardo's Workshop - SAG/IAA
Heroic Epic - SAG/IAA
Apollo Program - SAG/IAA
Space ship parts - SAG/IAA
Civil Defense - SAG/IAA
On locatio: Hawaii - SAG/IAA
The Ho Chi Minh Trail - SAG/IAA
Doppler Weather Station - SAG/IAA

Holding up the Pyramids - IAA
Professional Academy - IAA
Rainbow Bridge - IAA
Maze Gardens - IAA
The Mall - IAA
Concession Stand - IAA
Skynet Assembly Plant - IAA

Quarry Bombs - SAG
The Foot Clan - SAG
Temple of Doom - SAG
Royal Dinner - SAG
The Great Christmas Tree - SAG
Corporate Sponsorship - SAG
U.S. Robotics - SAG

Sushi on the Pier - Food truck
Frat house - Food truck
Great Icecream Truck (D)- Food truck
Great Cafeteria (F)- Food truck

Manufacturing plant - Factory
Nuclear plant - Factory
Solar Plant - Factory
Intrinsic Field Subtractor - Factory
Dr. Manhattan - Factory
Missile Production Plant (D)- Factory
Syrian Surprise (F)- Factory

Coastal Fortress - Harbor
The Great Light house - Harbor
The Pirate Map - Harbor
Commercial Dock - Harbor
Fishery - Harbor
Whaling Station - Harbor

Cathedral - Temple
Sistine Chapel - Cathedral
Vatican Armory - Cathedral
Pick of Destiny - Cathedral

University - Library
CERN - University

Bank - Marketplace
Pierce and Pierce M&A - Bank
Stock Exchange - Bank
Global Exchange - Stock exchange

Shooting on location: Rome - Colosseum

Strategic Missile Defense - SAM Missile Battery

*Building notes:
Some buildings, such as the Royal Academy of Arts, were put in the Cinemod for the original Cinemod map, where the number of Movie sets was more limited. On the random map, I've not needed to build these or even many universities to maximize research. The same can be said for some revenue producing buildings. Build as you like, but I realize that not all buildings are essential right now. I left them in because the Cinemod map may be included again in a future update.

Abilities from scripts:
Spoiler :

Abilities from Scripts
Embassies - The Shining
Alliances - History of the World: Part 1
Bridges - Jurrasic Park/Arachnophobia
Trade/travel by Sea - Popeye
Trade/travel by Ocean - Pirates of the Caribbean
Disable Disease - Batman
Mutual Protection Pacts, Mobilization - Kung Fu Panda
Double worker rate - Up in Smoke
Irrigation without water - Poison Ivy
Intelligence agency - Inspector Gadget

Hidden nationality units:
Spoiler :

Hidden Nationality Characters
Quarry Bomb
Mummy
Assassin
Ninja
Croc
Coffin
Holy Hand Grenade
Prophet
Jaws
Killer Bees
Sheep
Nautilus
Giant Squid
Thai Stick
Landmine
Wind
Tornado
Car Bomb
Spy Satellite

Characters preview:
Spoiler :

Silent Era

Black and Whites

After era change

Technicolor era

3-D era

*I'd like to update the tanks, artillery and naval units in the next version, so if you have a recommendation for me, I'm interested. As well, if you think there is a great unit out there that belongs in this mod, please suggest it.

**For anyone who dislikes or gets sick of the Silent movie boards in the first era, I've provided, in the text folder, a pediaicons substitue with no Silent movie boards.

General notes/tips:
Spoiler :

Notes and Tips (Yes, many are obvious and common sense.)
*The Cinemod is slow. And expensive in terms of shields. The first era often takes me a long time compared to Conquests. The upside is you and the AI both have time to develop territory.

*There is a Flatboat available from Indiana and the Temple of Doom if you need to explore by coast, but I recommend building a minimum of 3 Talent scouts immediately, maybe even your first character. These will help get a few scripts and maybe even a Studio truck. At worst, you'll not let the other Studios get the coins from Goody huts and you'll quickly meet others and reveal the map. The Sea Monster is available a few scripts later if you want to build suicide monsters and run the gauntlet over ocean tiles.

*Build the Screen Actor's Guild or the International Actor's Association ASAP in every studio. It's a requirement for buildings as noted above. Also it provides a content face.

*Near water? Build the mill. As stated, characters are shield expensive and you're going to need all the bonus production buildings you can get. The mill is the only production building that doesn't decrease happiness. It becomes obsolete when leaving Despotism. As for the other production buildings: Vineyard, Gem Cutter, Pest Control, Orchard, Cotton Gin; They decrease happiness on one hand and they're expensive, but you probably need to build them to audition the stronger characters of any era. You will, of course, need factories, Intrinsic field subtractors and Manufacturing plants later.

*Many characters have movement rates of 2, and several others the airdrop ability. You'll need to defend all border cities, and some even on the second ring from the border.

*Every era has 1 (for each distribution channel) strong defender. Listed below. As most units have low defense stats, these defenders are essential.
Silent Era - Titans Gladius, Titans Thunder
Black and Whites - Cujo
Technicolor Era - Steampunk Commando, Shadow Warrior
3-D Era - Joe, Neo-Viper

*The Joker (plague) was intended for aesthetic effects, but I've still had games where I repeatedly lost up to 10 characters per turn. It should disappear at the end of the 2nd Era after reading Batman.

*Learn characters' traits/strengths/weaknesses. I tried to make this mod balanced for Studios, but character choice can make or break you.

*Workers have no upkeep. Get as many as you want. I did this to encourage the AI to build and use workers, and I think they do pretty well with it. Have too many? Join them to Movie sets later or disband... Workers can clear mountains, hills and volcanoes. Keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-C) won't work; you have to click the clear wetlands unit action button manually.

*Don't have Film or Iron Man Props in the first 5 movie sets? Consider starting over unless you're a glutton for punishment. Your cast will be ridiculously thin compared to your opposition Studios.

*Know what the Grand Stages and Stages give you. Many parallel Conquests' Great Wonders, like providing food trucks in every Movie set.

*Cover your Props (resources) with characters. The AI will drop characters on top of any uncovered props.

*Ninjas/Assassins can see invisible and are good for watching borders, if you're not being more proactive with them.

*There are lots of hidden nationality characters. You're warned.

*TV Towers, available after reading Up in Smoke, allow size 3 movie sets.

*There are two distribution channels (Foreign and Domestic) and they both have unique luxury and strategic props. You may see a needed prop (resource) in a neigbor's territory, but if that Studio is not in the same Distribution channel as you, it may not see the prop; thus you won't be able to trade for that prop. You are advised to take it by force. :)

Things I'd like to see in version 2.2:
Spoiler :

New units32 file
New units
14 new civs- potential for new techs and inclusion of other races/possible 3rd tech tree
Reassignment of civ traits
Play mechanics overhaul
New Interface
Reintroduction of bigger custom Cinemod map

File download links here:
Spoiler :

I recommend getting the game files installed first (Whatever drive:\CIVIII\Conquests\Scenarios (folder)) before opening the biq. Opening the biq without the game files can cause problems, mainly on the units page. The files are the same, but you can choose whichever source, Mediafire or Google drive, works better for you. *I have not download tested these, so if you encounter any problems, please let me know.

View attachment Cinemod 2.1R.rar

Googledrive

Mediafire

Advisor/interface screens can be downloaded here. Unzip file into scenarios folder and allow the new files to overwrite previous versions. Screens can be seen on the next page, post 123.

Good luck!

I started a new game from the opposite distribution line from my previous test, and it pains me to say that I found a few errors in the BIQ that was uploaded yesterday.:blush: Nothing game breaking, Cruise missile range here, auto-production error there. As well, several typos were found in the Civilopedia, but those will get fixed and updated at a later time.

Those errors have been fixed and the BIQ is now up to date. If anyone downloaded it already, you can get the most current one at your convenience.

Here are some new tech advisor screens.
Spoiler :

Races/leaderheads
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Updated files are posted. This, I dare say, is the final version for 2.1R; without a new interface, it's about as polished as it's ever gonna get. There were too many additions for a simple patch and the new biq naming is not backwards compatible, so downloading all files again is the only way to go. (Sorry if downloading again bothers you.)

If there is someone that insists on finishing a game started on the previous 2.1R version, you'll need to add this to your pediaicons in the wondersplash section:

#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Trilogy.
art\wonder splash\TRIL320.pcx

That's the only major error of note for that version.

Started a new game (though I doubt I'll finish it) just to triple check things are working. Chose a pangea this time. Tech pace is extremely fast compared to continents and would finish era 1 in 2/3 the turns if continued. Just a thought for anyone thinking of playing.

A few quick screen shots.
Spoiler :

A lot of animosity out there.

Top Bottom