BUilding Graphics: Shanty Town / Slum

Ukas

Pthooey of Tomainia

Why not to let the poor inhabitate you cities? Shanty town, requires 0 maintenance, causes pollution&two unhappy faces, but doubles city growth. Can produce low cost worker units, perhaps slaves even. :whipped:
Something like that. Perhaps requires some mining resources.

Under work: Trailer Park :D

Have fun,

Ukas

Attachments

• shanty.zip
    22.9 KB · Views: 421
Actually, that might make a good building for Da Orkz in the 40K mod. I don't know what at this moment, though. Very Nice.

Thanks again ppl...
I'll be using this to interact with minor tribes (resource). Also I guess Shanty towns can create negative culture points, when thinking that many people living in the poorest conditions are usually from different culture... but that's then there's the question of values and tradition, does a foreign culture add in nation's cultural pool or does it cause some harm to the original culture?

@Rufus: I thought Shanty town is more generic term, since the term was coined in Ohio 1820 and has been used in many English speaking countries. And I like to think that I'm not so bad, but perhaps the world around me is. :satan:

Ukas said:
Thanks again ppl...
I'll be using this to interact with minor tribes (resource). Also I guess Shanty towns can create negative culture points, when thinking that many people living in the poorest conditions are usually from different culture... but that's then there's the question of values and tradition, does a foreign culture add in nation's cultural pool or does it cause some harm to the original culture?

@Rufus: I thought Shanty town is more generic term, since the term was coined in Ohio 1820 and has been used in many English speaking countries. And I like to think that I'm not so bad, but perhaps the world around me is. :satan:

In Brazil we call them favelas. But Shanty Town is definitely the generic term for them... I think Bidonville is one specific shanty town. In America, during the Depression, such shanty towns were often called Hoovervilles after President Herbert Hoover who was (falsely) blamed for causing the economic crash.

EDIT: Ukas, I would also be interested to know how precisely you mean to implement this improvement.

How about slums? That seems to work.

PresidentMarcos said:
How about slums? That seems to work.

The thing about slums is that it's very broad... a shanty town is basically a slum, but a slum is not necessarily a shanty town. A slum can have properly-built buildings rather than makeshift structures but be a very poor area. Tenements, while not shanty towns, can also be slums.

So two requests has been made in this thread, tenement slums and insulae and I want to make trailer park. I could make two era specific series if someone has ideas for medieval slum graphics...

Shanty town:
Ancient= Caves&holes in ground, medieval = tents, industrial =shanty town, modern = trailer park.

Slum:
Ancient= insulae, medieval =??, industrial = brick tenements, modern = concrete tenements

Also have in mind: Ghetto

Hi Ukas,

I think "medieval slums" should be "regular" medieval buildings falling into ruins -- poorly thatched roofs, a collapsing bit of wall and, yes, tents.

"Medieval slums" (I keep putting it in quotes because the concept did not exist at the time) would have been those buildings built outside the main wall of a city / keep, some leaning against it. Architecture would have been makeshift (of course, as the medieval city expanded, medieval urban renovation would have put in a larger wall and cleared out the slums, with newer ones eventually appearing outside the new walls etc.)

-- So, basically, a decrepit-looking medieval village motif should suffice.

Hoping this helps --

Oz

El Justo said:
very nice Ukas...reminds me of the Bonus Army of wash, dc.

maybe build "Bonus Army" every so many turns? :mischief:

And what would a Bonus Army do?? Suck up money from your treasury and riot?

Dom Pedro II said:
And what would a Bonus Army do?? Suck up money from your treasury and riot?

*sigh* it makes me lust for the Old Civ days when a city could become Barbarian controlled ... Or maybe we could have Civil Wars again ... It would be interesting to have rebel armies in response to policies, government types, etc., but I merely dream ... :sleep:

That sucks... I remember how complexity of Alpha Centauri had my hopes so high for Civ3, and how disappointed I was. Damn Firaxis. Where can one read about Civ4 btw?

Top Bottom