Classic 36 Spoiler 1: End of Ancient Age

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
This is the First Spoiler for GOTM 36: England.

The difficulty with this map is that there is the potential for a varying degree of map & civilization knowledge to the end of the ancient age, and potentially a few differences on how long it will take people to reach the end of the ancient age. As such, we will monitor this thread, and may open the second spoiler a bit early if people's games are generally fairly-well developed.

As a starter for this thread however, you must:

1.) Have reached the middle ages.
2.) Have full view of your starting continent.
3.) Have contacts with at least two civs on neighbouring islands (West and South), and the map location of their capitals.

It is likely that people have much more map information and contacts than this, however whilst less likely, it is possible that people have less. In the interests of striking a balance, we ask that you therefore limit your initial discussions to:

Your start: Opening moves and how you went about colonising your starting area.
Initial tech research: What your goals were, and how this was reflected in the research path you chose.

You are free to discuss the contacts with other civs, but please:

DO NOT post screenshots showing the full world map.
DO NOT post screenshots showing more than the starting continent and the locations (and territory) of the two closest lands.
DO NOT discuss the ease or difficulty (ie what was required) to get other contact / how you got the extra contacts.

The third one is aimed at restricting discussions about the need (or otherwise) for the Great Lighthouse, Navigation and / or astronomy.

Because it is difficult to predict the relative extent of different people's games, we will monitor this thread closely and adjust the spoiler requirements or open the second spoiler accordingly - if this one is too restrictive, then please tell us. ;)

Open: [ptw]

Hi all,

This is my first ever Emperor game, and my first ever attempt to keep a log, so I hope I do this right and I hope I edit out the right bits for the spoiler. Oh, and sorry it's just a dry list, but I've got too little time to embellish it at the moment. :(

Oh, and my first contact, which I could see from my own island was neither W or S, so I would have thought they would be ok to talk about???

4000BC: Scout: E E, Worker: E, Settler: SW
3950BC: Scout: E E, Worker: Irri BG, Founded London->Warrior, Research to Writing at 30% (40 turns).
3900BC: Scout: NE E
3850BC: Scout: NE NE
3800BC: Scout: NE N
3750BC: Scout: NW, Worker: SW
3700BC: London: War->War, Scout: NW W, War: S, Worker: Irri G
3650BC: Scout: S W, War: S
3600BC: Scout: W W, War: SE, Lux and Sci to 20%
3550BC: Scout: NW NW, War: SE
3500BC: London: War->Gran, Scout: W SW, War1: S, War2: SE, Worker: W
3450BC: Scout: SW W, War1: S, War2: E
3400BC: Scout E S, War1: S, War2: W, Worker: Irri Cow. London changed Gran->Worker and MM just because! ;)
3350BC: London: Worker->Gran, Scout: S, War1: NE, War2: NW, Worker2: S
3300BC: Scout: S E, War1: NE, War2: Fortify, Worker2: Irri Cow, Lux->0%
3250BC: Scout: E E, War1: N
3200BC: Scout: E S, War1: NE, Worker1: Road
3150BC: Scout: SE S, War1: N
3100BC: Worker2: Road, Lux->20%
3050BC: Worker1: NE E
3000BC: Worker1: E
2950BC: Worker1: Road
2900BC: Errant Worker move and forget to change lux slider on growth...not a good turn at all!
2850BC: Lux->30%
2800BC: Worker1 and 2 E.
2750BC: Both workers road.
2710BC: London Gran->Sett.
2670BC: Blah.
2630BC: Lux->50%, Worker onto Furs.
2590BC: Blah.
2550BC: London Sett->Sett. Settler: E E E
2510BC: Founded York(War) 3E of London, Warrior1->London to guard, Lux->30%, Writing in 9.
2470BC: Blah.
2430BC: Barbs approach York from the south (next to worker on Furs). Worker stops and moves N to hills. War1 moves from London to protect, Lux back to 50%
2390BC: Blah.
2350BC: London Sett->War, Sett S S with London's last Warrior. Worker follows to make road. Worker2 finishes road near York on BG and starts mine.
2310BC: York War->War.
2270BC: London War->Sett. Founded Nottingham(War) 3S of London, Barb camp spotted 2SE from town.
2230BC: Blah.
2190BC: Move War to lure Barb.
IBT: Lure Works, Barb attacks War (3/3)
2150BC: Science->10%, Warrior attacks Barb camp and dies without Barb taking a scratch.
2110BC: London Sett->Worker, York War->Rax (assuming my guess that that means barracks is right). Writing complete->Map Making. Lux->30%, Science->10%
2070BC: Notts War->War.
2030BC: London Worker->War
1990BC: Founded Hastings N,N,NW from London. Barb camp near Notts dispersed. Lux->20%, Science->80% (Maps in 33).
1950BC: Palace landscaped. Ranked 6th largest. London War->Sett.
1910BC: Nott War->Worker
1870BC: Blah.
1830BC: Lux->40%, Sci->10%, Maps back to 33 turns. 87 in treasury.
1790BC: London Sett->War, Hastings War->War, Lux->30%.
1750BC: Nott, Worker->Rax.
1725BC: Founded Canterbury(War) 4SE from London. London War->Sett, Barb boat still circling next to Notts.
1700BC: Barb moves next to Canterbury, get 2 Wars there to defend it.
1675BC: York Rax->War. Barb appears NE of York...here they come! War kills barb next to Canterbury (3/3)
IBT: Barb horsey appears near Hastings, could be bad news, Warriors are still my best. At least it's on a hill. :(
1650BC: Hastings War->War.
1625BC: London Sett->War, York War->War.
1600BC: Furs FINALLY attached to all but Hastings.
1575BC: York War->War, London War->Sett. Bait set again, Warrior waits 2 away in forest across river.
IBT: Horsey 1 attacks (4/4), Horsey 2 attacks...PROMOTION (4/5).
1550BC: Blah.
IBT: One horsey spotted, another horsey ambushes scout.
1525BC: Hastings War->Wor, York pumping 2turn warriors until further notice. Warrior attacks Barb camp in S and dies.
IBT: Horsey attacks War (3/3) in S.
1500BC: Notts Rax->War.
1475BC: Barb camp defeated in S by War (3/4 after promotion). Coventry founded 4SE then 3S from London (dist 8.5, but located primarily to shutdown Barb locations). London Sett->War.
IBT: Horsey defeated by War(3/4) in NE across river and forest.1450
1450BC: America completes Colossus.
1425BC: London War->Sett, Barb Horsey (2/2) kills War in NNE.
1400BC: Warwick(Rax) settled 5E then 1NE from London (dist 8.5) on hill. Hastings Wor->War. Sci at 10%, Lux at 30%.
1375BC: Barb camp in hills in NNE dispersed by War (2/4). Barb horsey in NE killes by War (2/4).
1350BC: Blah.
1325BC: Barb Horsey killed by War (3/4) in NNE.
1300BC: Science->50%, Mapmaking in 13 (taking forever!).
1275BC: Blah.
1250BC: Warrior (4/4) defeats Barb horsey in NE. 3 towns producing wealth (too soon for mapmaking pre-builds).
1225BC: Warrior (4/4->5/5) defeats Barb horsey in NNE. Warrior (3/4) defeats Barb horsey in NE. Warrior (3/4) disperses barb camp in NE. Science->10%, Lux->50%.
1200BC: Canterbury Rax->Gran. Warrior (3/4) defeats Barb in NE. London Wealth->Sett.
1175BC: York Wealth->Sett. Founded Newcastle(Rax) 7NE then E from London (Dist: 8.5). Notts Wealth->FP pre-build.
IBT: Barb killed by War (3/4->3/4) in NNE, believed to be last barb on isle at the moment.
1150BC: Hastings War->Wor.
1125BC: Blah.
1100BC: Blah (redarkening some territory to make more barbs).
1075BC: London Sett->Rax pre-build.
1050BC: York Sett->Gran pre-build.
1025BC: Blah.
1000BC: Founded Oxford(Rax) 5NE of London (Dist: 5). Settler in N making town next turn. Mapmaking next turn. Half a dozen barb boats waiting to sink mine though.

QSC Stats (hope this is enough!)
Date 1000BC
Time: 2:54:34 (due to lots of typing on the laptop during play).
Score: 289
Gold 400
Cities 8 with 24 citizens.
Units 31 (6 workers, 1 settler, 24 warriors)
Techs Pottery, Alphabet, Writing (Map-making next turn).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IBT: Another civ completes Pyramids.
975BC: Map-making->Code of Laws. London Rax->Sett. Notts FP->Lighthouse. Coventry Gran->Galley. Warwick Rax->Galley. Liverpool(Galley) founded 5N then NE of London (Dist: 8.5).
IBT: Another civ completes Oracle, and we're the Wealthiest nation.
950BC: Sliders at 50% each, Code of Laws in 14.
875BC: London Sett->Galley.
850BC: Barb in NE defeated by War(3/4).
825BC: Warwick Gall->Gall. <particular coloured> borders seen on next Island.
800BC: Still going around Island, if Barbs don't get me should have contact next turn.
775BC: York Gran->FP pre-build. It's <another Civ>. They have BW, Mason, Wheel, WC and CB that we need. We can only offer writing. Blue border seen on island W of London.
750BC: Blues are Germany. They have BW, Mason, Wheel, WC and CB too. They also need writing. Bought The Wheel for 97 gold, and Warrior Code for 68 gold. They'll be the architects of their own demise...Germany seem best as first target.
730BC: York, Coventry and Warwick changed to Archers. Horses right next to London about to be hooked up. Horseback riding bought off Germans for 102 gold.
710BC: Dover founded on German island, 2W then 6NW of London (Dist: 9, bugger, could have made it an 8 or 8.5).
690BC: Writing traded to Germany for CB, BW and 29 gold. Contact with <other civ> traded to Germany for Myst, Mason and 20 gold. Iron Working traded from the <other civ> for Mysticism and 58 gold.
670BC: Both sliders at 40%. Forces being moved to German island, not sure if enough though.
650BC: Code of Laws researched->Philosophy. <Coloured> border spotted past <other civ>.
630BC: Contacted <another civ>. Traded contacts for contacts and 3 gold. Traded Contacts for World Map and 40 gold. Traded Code of Laws for Territory Map and 102 gold. Sliders 60/40 to Science.
610BC: Build-up for Germany continues.
590BC: Warrior killed by Barb.
570BC: Warrior kills Barb horsey.
IBT: Barb boat sinks my Galley far from home.
530BC: Sliders to Sci-10%, Lux 50%.
510BC: Philosophy researched. Republic next at Sci-60%, Lux-40%.
470BC: Troops moved into Germany, not sure how wise that was re-rep hits, but oh well. Brighton(Temple) founded on German isle.
450BC: Took Leipzig with minimum trouble. Konigsberg is a different story and now has an elite spearman on the hill. :(
430BC: Completed GL(ighthouse) and entered Golden Age. Using it to build a few temples as I'm lagging in culture.
390BC: Regrouped, several German archers killed.
370BC: Konigsberg defeated with minimal losses. Size 1 unfortunately so razed.
350BC: Another civ contacted. Received Polytheism and contact for contacts and 40 gold. Received Literature, Territory Map and 48 gold for contacts.
330BC: Coastal exploration continues.
310BC: Norwich founded next to old Konigsberg.
230BC: Captured Berlin. German threat basically abolished.
210BC: Republic researched->Construction. Made peace with Germany and decended into revolution, 5 turns anarchy (doh!). Also got Heidelberg and Nuremberg in the peace deal, but I meant Munich rather than Nuremberg, oops! Traded Republic to a civ for Maths, 3 Workers and 21 gold.
170BC: Another nearby civ lands settler on my island, guess they're next!
110BC: We become a Republic. Lots of management, sliders at 20-Sci, 30-Lux.
50BC: Golden Age ends. Wasted 5 turns of it being in Anarchy. Silly me! :(
30BC: Leeds founded on German isle.
30AD: Science to 10%.
70AD: Reading founded in NE of starting island.
90AD: Traded Republic and 21 gold to nearby civ for a tech. Trying to goad nearby civ into a war, unit costs are prohibitive, no dice. Science to 30%, losing money.
130AD: We discover Currency and enter the Middle ages, Monotheism at 10% and lux down to 20%, MM happiness throughout empire.

Hope that was ok, sorry it's so dry. I know I'm slow as that's quite late to get out of Ancient times, but I'm learning! ;)

Butz. groucho

Predator [ptw]

Settled 1 SW. First build is settler.

My favorite victory condition at the moment is culture 20K so I chose that pretty much from the beginning. I built York in 3250BC, placing it inland on the river, 2 east of the starting position. Usually I would put a 20K town on the coast, but the multitude of shields inland was too tempting. Moreover, as a non-militaristic civ on an archipelago map I would surely miss out on quite a few wonders anyway, so it might as well be the coastal ones - I sure wasn't going to build Colossus - and lastly the Forbidden Palace would be more useful inland. York was producing 24 shields per turn at the end of the ancient age. A bit later, when I could afford to spend some worker time on terraforming, I gained 1 more shield.

Although I decided early on the victory condition, it still wasn't early enough, because I messed up my first choices of research. My sequence was:

Writing, 40 turns. Pretty bad choice because of our loneliness on the island - no culture to build. I ended up with an almost worthless granary in York.
Masonry, at max. This was better because it let me start the pyramids and later a palace prebuild.
Code of Laws. I thought that someone would make contact soon and wanted to be able to trade Map Making from them.
Literature. To time the completion of The Great Library.
Philosophy Heading for the republic.
Republic, 40 turns Before I finished it, I had contacts, but not until 580 BC! The latest date I can remember. I actually made my first contact through cultural expansion in a coastal town - I should have known that the AI galleys would be slow to find me. It didn't cause that many problems, since my research was quite different from the AI.

Spare cash was used to save for upgrading warriors.

I don't know when I entered MA, somewhere between 400-300 BC. I tend to keep poor notes when I'm unhappy with my progress.

Wonder results:
Pyramids 925 BC
Great Library 410 BC
One more on the way, very likely to be Hanging Gardens

I also had a war going with Germany at the end of the Ancient Age.
Expansion was slow for me, because I built no granaries in the cow towns. It took off after the completion of the pyramids.

This is a very unusual game and the most interesting GOTM in a long time. There are many uncertainties. I'm very curious to see how other culture freaks have done.

GOTM36_Open

This is my first GOTM. I have previousely played the first five COTM's. For this reason, and because I know that I have a lot to learn when it comes to playing civ in general, comments on my play are more than welcome.

Here's my turn-log. I've deleted all mentions of civs other than Germany and China, so it doesn't make sense some times.

*** Ancient Times ***

4000 BC - Scout1 S, S, sees two more BG's, a Grassland, a Forest and a Hill with Gold, plus hints of even more grassy land further south. A long pause follows in the face of this new knowledge. The initial plan was to settle SW, next to the two cows. However, I now see great potential in settling in the forest, S, SE. This site gives both of the cows on expansion and enough BG's to set up a 4-turn 4.5-6.5 Warrior+Settler factory. And more importantly, it allows a nice RCP (at distance 3.0), see picture. I've never done an RCP before (as I said, I usually play C3C), but this looks like a great site to have my first one. So: Worker moves E and Settler SE.

3950 BC - Worker S. Settler S. Scout continues south.

3900 BC - London founded, Granary started. Furs spotted! Scout sees what looks like the south-coast of our island. Worker Irrigates (to bring fresh water to the cows). Start researching Writing at minimum rate (40 turns).

3850 BC - Our Scout is now heading NW.

3700 BC - Worker finishes Irrigation, moves towards cow to irrigate. My God, our Scout finds another big river and even MORE grassland! :eek:

3550 BC - Having found the north coast, our Scout is now heading east.

3400 BC - The cow is irrigated and London's cultural influence expands: London is now up to a surplus of 5 food per turn.

3200 BC - Worker starts mining the second cow. Yes, we need it mined for the Warrior+Settler factory we're setting up. Scout sees hint of overseas land in the NW.

3000 BC - Granary completed. Our scout has completed a lap of the island, and will now walk the coast one more lap, to make SURE it is indeed an island, and to see if he can spot any more overseas coasts from the shore.

2900 BC - Our Scout finds a third cow SW of London. :goodjob:

2630 BC - Yikes, a raging Barbarian Warrior appears next to our Settler, who hurries up with founding York on the spot, SE of London. Phew!

2590 BC - The Barbarians steal 19 Gold from York.

2550 BC - Nottingham founded SW of London.

2510 BC - The Barbarians steal 7 Gold from York.

2470 BC - Our Scout sees an overseas coast to the east!

2390 BC - Hastings founded NW of London.

2190 BC - Our Warriors raze the Barbarian camp outside York.

2110 BC - London is now a proper 4-turn 4.5-6.5 Warrior+Settler factory.

2070 BC - Writing discovered, Map Making started at minimum rate (40 turns).

2030 BC - Canterbury founded E of London.

At 1990 BC we have 5 towns, 10 pop. 6 Workers, 7 Warriors, 1 Scout. 1 Granary.

1910 BC - Science to 80%, for Map Making in 26 turns. A micro-management mishap is solved by letting London produce a 4-turn Barracks instead of a Warrior+Settler combo.

1870 BC - Coventry founded S of London.

1790 BC - London completes Barracks, re-opens Warrior+Settler factory.

1750 BC - Our Warriors dispere a Barbarian camp in the NW.

1675 BC - Warwick founded N of London. The inner ring in our RCP is now finished - we won't fill in the last two slots, it will get too crowded (probably already is). We will now build three cities as a part of an outer ring (at distance 6.0), see picture.

1525 BC - Newcastle founded 4 tiles S of London.

1500 BC - Our Scout is killed by a Barbarian Horseman.

1425 BC - Map Making discovered, Literature started (10 turns).

1400 BC - Oxford founded in the east. Hastings produces our first Galley. It loads a Warrior and sets sail west, and immediately spots a blue border.

1375 BC - We contact the Germans. They give us Ceremonial Burial, Bronze Working, The Wheel and their World Map, for Alphapet, Pottery, Writing, our Territory Map and 25 Gold (we will keep a monopoly on Map Making for now). We have Horses, and so does Bismarck. Their world map show them to most likely be alone on what looks like an island much like ours.

1300 BC - Liverpool founded in the north east - the outer "ring" is finished.

1175 BC - Literature discovered, Code of Laws started (9 turns). Two more Galleys are sent out, one going S, the other E.

1150 BC - Another Galley is sent out NW, to explore what's W of the German island.

1125 BC - There is Iron at the NW tip of our island.

1075 BC - Dover founded in the NW, next to the Iron.

1050 BC - Brighton founded in the east.

1025 BC - We contact China, and give them Alphabet and Writing for their World Map and 134 Gold. Warwick completes our first Library.

QSC stats:

12 Towns
33 Pop

11 native Workers
1 Spearman (veteran)
10 Warriors (1 conscript, 4 regular, 3 veteran, 2 elite)
5 Galleys (3 regular, 2 veteran)

4 Barracks
2 Libraries
1 Harbor
1 Granary

Missing ancient age techs: Construction, Mathematics, Currency, Philosophy, Code of Laws (due in 1 turn), The Republic, Polytheism and Monarchy.

Despotic Goverment
5 contacts
266 Gold

975 BC - We discover Code of Laws. Start Philosophy (5 turns).

850 BC - Norwich founded on the NW tip of the Chinese island, trying to take their only Horse cuturally. We discover Philosophy, and start Republic at minimum rate to rake in some gold for upgrades.

800 BC - Iron is hooked up. Our plan now is to build Horsemen in the inland towns and Galleys in Nottingham and Hastings, upgrade Warriors to Swordsmen, fill up the Galleys and head west towards Germany.

750 BC - Leeds founded in the north.

710 BC - We now have all contacts and everyone's world map.

690 BC - Reading founded in the far eastern end of the island.

670 BC - Birmingham founded in the tundra to the north east.

610 BC - Richmond founded on the peninsula south of Germany, claiming 4 Gems (but building the Harbor will take a very long time). At home, Exeter is founded way up north.

590 BC - We investigate Berlin, Leipzig and Cologne, to give us an idea of the German defensive situation. Berlin and Leipzig are defended by two Spearmen each. Cologne by only one. Stupid Bismarck hasn't cared about hooking up his Iron, but they do have Horses hooked up north of Leipzig. There is no sign of any offensive units - they've probably spent them on the Barbarians in the south. We then trade them Mathematics, for their World Map and all their Gold (225). Then we declare war, and move our troops in, landing 4 Horsemen and 1 Swordsman outside Leipzig, 2 Swordsmen and 1 Horseman outside Cologne, and a Horseman and a Swordsman outside Nuremberg. We hope that all these three towns will fall in our hands in the next turn (well, Nuremberg will be auto-razed).

570 BC - Said and done: Leipzig and Cologne captured, Nuremberg razed. We lost just one Horseman in total. Our troops are now marching towards Munich and Berlin. Our plan then is to make peace for at least a couple of more towns, leaving them severely crippled, to be mopped up later. Then we'll send our units towards China, to take them out before they can build Riders. Speaking of China, they are now sending an Archer to a tile next to Norwich (defended by one Spearman). Will they sneak-attack?

550 BC - Nope, China do not attack Norwich. Germany, however, counter-attack with two Horsmen. One withdraws, but the other kills one of our Horsemen. We're then struck by some bad RNG: An attack on Munich with four Horsemen fails, leaving three of them dead and one redlined, without having killed any of the defending Spearmen - only turning them both into veterans. Great... In return, we kill the two counter-attacking German Horsemen.

530 BC - The Germans kill our redlined Horseman. We kill an Archer. We now have three Swordsmen and two Horsemen ready outside Berlin.

510 BC - We capture Berlin! We lost just one Swordsman in the battle. We now have troops positioned outside Hannover.

490 BC - We take over Hannover, losing one Horseman. Germany now offer us Munich, Hamburg and Stuttgart for peace, but not Konigsberg. We want Konigsberg, because it has Gems, so we pass.

430 BC - Konigsberg razed. Now Bismarck won't give Hamburg for peace! We'll make him pay for his greed.

390 BC - We raze Hamburg and make peace for Frankfurt, Munich and Stuttgart, leaving the Germans with just two towns and no resources.

370 BC - We're leaving our remaining Swordsmen at the German island for defence. The Horsemen are to be sailed to China...

310 BC - Cambridge founded where Konigsberg used to be.

250 BC - We have accumulated a good number of Horsemen in Norwich - it is time to attack China. This ruins our reputation, because we have active trade-deals with other civs, which will have their trade-routs broken when we attack China, but it's going to be worth it. We declare war, attack and destroy Chengdu. We then lose THREE veteran Horsemen and redline a fourth, attacking two Warriors on Grassland in the open, only killing one of the Warriors!!! :mad:

230 BC - The second Chinese Warrior, redlined as it was, kills our redlined Horseman. Woohoo... Gloucester founded where Hamburg used to be.

170 BC - We destroy Anyang.

150 BC - Our Horsemen destroy Macao.

130 BC - We capture Xinjian.

90 BC - We capture Shanghai.

50 BC - Our invincible Horsemen capture Beijing and raze Nanking.

30 BC - We finally discover The Republic, and start a Revolution. First roll of the dice gives a 7-turn Anarchy... Second roll gives 5 turns.

10 BC - There is a massive Barbarian uprising near Norwich. This is not good - we have 1425 Gold in the coffin and nothing to buy, and the Barbarians are likely to steal most of it! We capture Canton. We trade for Polytheism to ENTER THE MIDDLE AGES.

I am happy with the ancient times in my game. Yes, because of the 40-turn research of The Republic, I am entering the middle ages at an unusually late date, but I have already severely crippled the Germans and the Chinese, I am in a good position in the tech-race and the English is by far the most powerful civilization in the game. I am going for a Domination win now, hoping for a pre-1000 AD win (is that too optimistic?).

-- Roland

Roland Ehnström said:
1 conscript
I see ainwood has been a little more generous with the goddie huts in the open class. Or... can barbs destroy goodie huts by stepping on them?
Roland Ehnström said:
I am going for a Domination win now, hoping for a pre-1000 AD win (is that too optimistic?).
Not at all! That's a fabulous start. :goodjob:

I won't have time to write up my ancient age for a few more days, but I'd like to second (or is it third?) the request for a slightly less restrictive take on the contacts. France was my third civ contacted, if only by a turn. There were map clues visible from land that encouraged exploration towards Germany and towards the second civ I contacted; there were none for France until galleys were out, despite its nearness.

Renata

[civ3] Open

Selected entries from the English Saga, author unknown. Dates were apparently inserted later, by an unknown editor.

Chapter 1 (4000 BC)
From her vantage point on top of a ridge of hills, Elizabeth studied the vast grasslands rolled out before her. A new start. That’s what her advisors had promised her when they’d hustled her out of rioting London, most of her kingdom having fallen into the hands of the treacherous Spanish and Scots. She had no idea where they’d taken her, but it looked like a good place to start over.

Surveying the land a final time before descending from the hills, she sent her scout south to explore the other side of the forest. Almost impulsively, she picked the land just to the southeast as London’s new location, to be settled with the band of loyal citizens she’d brought with her.

Chapter 2 (3950)
London was complete. Her people had plenty of food and stuff to build with; they soon would be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth - or whatever planet this was. (Elizabeth was pretty sure the stars were not the ones she’d known in England.) At least, this was the plan. She hoped she’d have a well-developed kingdom fully under her control before having to deal with any hostile neighbors.

Chapter 5 (3800)
Elizabeth threw down the quill in frustration. She knew there were ways of communicating with strings of symbols, but could not reconstruct how to do it. And all of her people were busy with more important tasks, so it looked like she’d be working at this alone for a while. She looked out the window to the southwest. Her crew of workers would soon finish setting up a system that would provide a steady supply of clay for making pottery; they’d chop down the forest to the south next. Between the clay and the wood, her people would soon have a secure storage place for excess food.

Chapter 20 (3050)
Elizabeth listened to the census results with satisfaction. London was certainly growing, and the newly completed granary along with careful management of those herds of cattle would ensure even more rapid growth. She knew she needed to get another work crew out to quickly get a steady supply of water to those cows, but she decided to be cautious and train some of her citizens to defend her kingdom first. She’d seen no strangers yet, hostile or friendly, but some defense would at least make her people feel more secure.

Chapter 30 (2590)
So they weren’t alone. Just before his disappearance, Elizabeth’s scout had spied signs of human habitation across the channel to the west. And then there was his disappearance itself. Elizabeth immediately dispatched an armed party north to investigate his last known location. She also decided that the band of settlers busily preparing to leave London would settle to the south, not only for safety, but also to make sure that not one bit of meat or inch of hide from her productive herds went to waste.

Chapter 56 (1625)
From her vantage point on top of the tallest building in London, Elizabeth gazed proudly over her thriving kingdom. The citizens of London had managed to populate 5 new settlements so far, and York would soon join London in sending out regular bands of settlers; these would settle a bit further away. She wasn’t content, though. The island would soon feel cramped She’d tried to teach her people to build boats so they could check out the lands across the water, but the few that managed to stay afloat never showed up in the place they were supposed to. :rolleyes: She’d keep trying, but it looked like it would be a while before they could explore beyond this island.

Chapter 81 (1000)
After years of trial and error, Elizabeth had finally figured out what her sailors needed: maps. She’d almost completed their training, and soon the secretive building projects in her coastal cities would complete several galleys to go out and explore the world!

Her reports showed the following statistics for her kingdom:
15 towns
34 population
23 regular warriors
10 workers
2 granary, 1 barracks
622 gold

Editor's note: We discovered mapmaking in 975 bc and had no contact with other nations until 925.

Chapter 84 (875)
Writing turned out to be a valuable skill. In exchange for this ability (and only 20 gold pieces) the Chinese were willing to teach the English to use bronze and wheels, and the importance of respecting the dead and one’s fellow soldiers. The Germans taught us to ride horses, work with iron, and build better buildings in a similar exchange.

Chapter 87 (800)
Elizabeth wanted China Island for herself. Deciding to hassle the Chinese a bit, she declared war, hoping at least to kidnap a work crew. She’d already claimed the northern tip of the island for the town of Richmond; Exeter would soon be founded; hopefully the Chinese could be confined to the plains.

Chapter 96 (610)
“Stupid, stupid, stupid!” Elizabeth glared at her military advisors. :mad: “Why did didn’t you tell me how strong the Chinese were?” Exeter was destroyed, and Birmingham had been severely threatened. And she’d had to teach the Chinese the secret of water travel for a peace treaty. She dismissed her advisors, planning to deal with them later. What she really needed was a government where people would tell her the truth, not what they thought she wanted to hear. That would be the next task for her philosophers – figure out a better way to run her kingdom. The Chinese and incompetent advisors aside, things were going quite well. The <civ1>, <civ2>, and <civ3> were all very friendly and willing to let her sail her galleys through their waters. She was sorry she’d have to go to war with one of them soon. :mischief:

Chapter 104 (450)
Reports of a massive barbarian uprising near Glouster, on the gems peninsula, turned Elizabeth’s thoughts to civilization and the skills that made it possible not to be a barbarian. Consulting with the <civ1> and <civ2> representatives, she found that they were willing to teach her about money and some even better building techniques for 200 gold pieces between the two of them and introductions all around to the Germans. And the English celebrated their accomplishments by adopting a new style of clothing.

GOTM 36, PtW (Latest Patch), Open Class.

Goal: To win some way.

4000 BC after looking over the start location for 10 or so minutes London was founded in place. The worker left to irrigate to the cows. Science was set to 90%, studying “Writing”.

Next was maybe the first big mistake or a really cool trick. After considering the Following:

1) Are we alone on an island?
2) Will there be any goody huts?

I guess we are alone or at most just 1 AI. I guess no goody huts from all pregame discussions. With all this said I disband the scout for the shield boost.

London will build warrior, warrior, settler, and granary. The first warrior will be a MP, the second will be a MP and an escort for settlers.

Time line highlights.
3150 BC: Got 1st setter, warrior will escort settler to a ring distance of 5.
2950 BC: York founded. Escort sent back to London.
2670 BC: The cows now have roads and are irrigated. Worker will mine and road BG’s.
2510 BC: York builds worker. London builds granary.
2470 BC: We see our first barbs.
2150 BC: Got “Writing” study “Map Making”.
2070 BC: Nottingham founded by furs.
1990 BC: See first barb horse. So 2 AI have “Horseback Riding”.
1950 BC: Hastings founded.
1725 BC: Lost 1 warrior but took our first barb village.
1650 BC: Canterbury founded.
1625 BC: Fur hooked up.
1475 BC: York builds settler. Take barb village. Coventry founded.
1450 BC: See barb galley. So 2 AI beat me to “Map Making”.
1400 BC: Spain builds Colossus. Warwick founded.
1350 BC: Newcastle founded.
1300 BC: Got “Map Making” study “Philosophy”.
1275 BC: Got our first galley . Took barb village.
1225 BC: Oxford founded.
1200 BC: Hastings builds settler.
1150 BC: Liverpool founded.
1125 BC: Met China. We trade “Writing” for “Ceremonial Burial” + 47gp. We Trade “Map Making” for “Masonry”, “The Wheel”, & 63gp. Giddy-up cowboy there are horses under London!
1100 BC: Got “Philosophy”, traded it + 52gp to China for “Bronze Working” & Warrior code”.
Dover founded.
1050 BC: Brighton founded.
1025 BC: Took barb village on China’s Island.
1000 BC: Stats, 12 towns, 26 population, 1 settler, 3 workers, 15 warriors, 1 galley.

Score: England 281, China 266.

Bradley QSC Score: 43 points.

950 BC: We are the largest nation in the world. Nottingham builds barrack, renamed Fort Nottingham.
925 BC: Norwich founded.
900 BC: Met Germany trade “Writing” for “Mysticism”, “Iron Working” & 38gp. Trade “Map Making” to Germany for “Horseback Riding”, world map, & 87gp. Trade “Horseback Riding” to China for world map and 56gp.
875 BC: Spain got Great Lighthouse.
775 BC: Russia got Pyramids. Leeds founded. China Beach (Reading) founded on China’s island. Start war with China took 1 settler and 2 workers.
750 BC: India builds the Oracle.
730 BC: Destroyed 2 China cities. Took 1 settler.
690 BC: Took settler. Vet warrior takes barb village now elite. China gives the city of Tsingtao, world map, and 5gp for peace.

This war crippled China for the rest of the game. From this point on they will be behind in techs and score.

650 BC: Spain knows us some how? It looks like China sold contact to Spain for 159gp. Met France. China North Point (Birmingham) founded on china’s island.

Edited here: Removed contact info. sorry.

570 BC: War on America took there settler on China’s island. This is just for the free slaves and to slow America down a little. They will have to switch production to war instead of expansion. I will go for peace before I see any of their troops.
550 BC: Richmond founded.
530 BC: Declare war on Germany.
510 BC: Lost a warrior and both American slaves to barb horse. Took German city of Leipzig with 3 slaves.
470 BC: Exeter founded.
430 BC: Spain got Republic one turn before me.
410 BC: America gives 60gp for peace. Germany gives 3 cities for peace. Russia gives “Mathmatics” + world map for Republic. France gives 220gp + world map for republic. India gives 120gp + world map for republic. China gives 75gp for Republic. 5 turn anarchy. Draw a 7 turn on the second try.
390 BC: China Town (Cambridge) founded.
330 BC: America has a city Detroit on China’s island. How did they slip that in? I thought I was guarding all of the open space on China’s island.
290 BC: Gloucester founded.
270 BC: We are a Republic government.
250 BC: Bought “Construction” from France for 330gp and world map. Sold everyone else my map for all they had, China even gave a worker it.
230 BC: Gave Germany Republic for Literature.

170 BC: The tech pace has picked up. And almost every one is building the Great Lib. I’m 8 away.
I turn science to 0%. I hope this pays off, if not I will lose 8 turns of science research. If this fails I will have to be a tech broker.

110 BC: Manchester founded this filled our home island.

30 BC: Got The Great Library.

10 BC: Got Polytheism & Monotheism from the Great Lib.

Enter the MA thanks to the Great Library.

Stats: 1 city, 18 towns, 77 population, 6 workers, 8 warriors, 1 archer, 1 spearman, 32 swordsmen, 4 galleys, and 12 slaves. Great Library, 1 granary, 1 aqueduct, 1 temple, 1 barrack. 128gp and 32gpt.

Score:
France 674
India 663
American 657
England 646
Russia 502
Spain 458
China 422
Germany 369

I’m the most powerful but last in culture.

Germany has no Iron so I will declare war on them. I demand 75gp of Germany’s 104gp to my surprise they pay. Declare was on Germany. This is not a little war, I will not end it until Germany is gone or I’m dead! Kill 1 archer escorting a settler, kill 1 archer on a hill, and take 2 workers.

Renata said:
I won't have time to write up my ancient age for a few more days, but I'd like to second (or is it third?) the request for a slightly less restrictive take on the contacts.
Renata

This is the sort of thing that I wasn't sure about.

I think the easiest solution might be to allow discussion of all civs on the neighbouring islands (ie including France), yet for those that haven't discovered the full world map, lets not share that ;) I'll update the first post.

Somewhat precipitated by the reluctance to do massive edits on Randy's post :ack: :lol:

Open PTW 1.27f

As I planned in the pre-game thread, I settled SE,S on the forest, after sending the scout 2S and the worker E. The scout continued south around coast, finding the third cow. I was debating trying to set up two 4 turn settler factories, but didn't see enough shields. I DID however, see enough to set up a 4 turn (4-6) settler factory in London and 2 turn (3-4) worker factory on the coast. This meant irrigating all 3 cows and swapping the middle one back and forth every turn. I go for 40 turn Writing and then Map Making as fast as possible.

My initial build was going to be a scout, but it started to look like I might not need it so I switched it to a granary. Meanwhile, the worker is bringing water from the river corner to the two cows. I finish the granary in 3000BC, 3 turns from size 5, leaving room for a warrior. I also know by this time that we are on our own island. This is good and bad. I have no competition for land, but also no help with barbs. Decide I'll probably be ok for a while, so build a settler next, then a couple of workers, settler, one more worker and then settlers. The first settler found York next to the 3rd cow and starts granary. I slow growth a bit in York to get granary done before getting too big. By 2270BC London and York are cow sharing. York starts popping 2 turn workers in 1790BC, staying at size 3. This works because I left the forest SW of London for York's extra 2 shields from 3-4.

Like Roland, I did RCP3, settling 7 cities around London, slightly askew to the east to allow for a Forbidden Palace that would use London and the N and S cities as part of it's ring. New towns are building military and occasional settlers and workers. Built first galley in 1375 in Warwick (3 NW of London). Happen to have a settler in Warwick headed for cape so he hops on the boat and rides over, shaving a few turns. Meet Germany in 1325BC and trade for Wheel, Bronze, and Iron and territory map. They only have 4 cities at this point. From here I'm continuing to build cities in the 2nd ring at radius 5 and more beyond that. I've also got galleys exploring and meeting other civs... My tech progression after Map Making was fast as possible toward Republic. I got Code of Laws in 1175BC and Philosophy in 1050BC. Along the way I pick up Masonry, Warrior Code, Ceremonial Burial, Mysticism and Horseback Riding from Germany and France.

By 1000BC I have enough warriors posted to lift the fog of war from my island completely.

16 towns
36 pop
21 workers
14 warriors
1 chariot
2 galleys

2 granaries
3 barracks

I am 14 turns from Republic and need Math, Construction, Currency and Polytheism. I have 3 contacts, know of 2 more (one I'll meet next turn).

MjM said:
Hmm I did a early Germany invasion too, but i used horses. What do you guys think is better for AA wars swords or horses?

I like Swordsmen if I don't have to march them far. I fell they have more punch.

If it is a far march I'll use horses.

So IMHO it would be Swordsmen.

Edit: One other reason I like Swords over Horses, I can up grade to a MA unit faster with swords then with horses.

ainwood said:
Somewhat precipitated by the reluctance to do massive edits on Randy's post :ack: :lol:

Sorry, I think I fixed it. But at least I found out how to post smaller pic. So AlanH didn't have to fix it this time.

Maybe next time I'll get everything write. :blush:

Settled London SW and built settlers until the island was full, also got two settlers on the German island (horse and iron) as well as on the Chinese (horse). Built loads of warriors to upgrade to swordmen and amassed a nice fortune by trading (had about 1200 g). Started hooking up the iron on my own island as well as on the German. Moved all my warriors to one city. Once the iron was hooked up I decided to change government first (5 turns) before upgrading (BIG MISTAKE!!). Having turned a republic and ready to upgrade, my iron source was exhausted (not having built one swordman!). Okay, I got one more source on the German island, so I rushed some harbors to make it available on the main island. Next turn the iron town flipped to the Germans!! So, I had a whole bunch of warriors but no iron............So much for fast conquering!! I've made a few advances with horsemen since on both the Chinese and the German islands (although the conquered German towns keep flipping back :mad: ). I'm lagging in techs as I switched off research to get gold to upgrade my warriors....... but I shall perservere (hopefully!)
Lesson learned: Upgrade the first turn possible!!

Megalou said:
I see ainwood has been a little more generous with the goddie huts in the open class. Or... can barbs destroy goodie huts by stepping on them?

No, barbarians can not destroy goody huts. Answering the question about the number of goody huts in the world would be a spoiler, I think. But no, there were no huts on the starting island in Open.

-- Roland

PtW, Open

Going for... any kind of win, seeing as I still haven't managed it at Emperor+

Brief: MA in 250BC, still lacking Govts, planning war on Germany, wondering if war on China first wouldn't be better pre-Riders, one gap to plug on starting island, contact with all and near-complete World Map.

Plan: Stop research. My Poly monopoly got me nothing, there was nothing worth trading for when I got it. Hindsight, I wasted the turns researching it, and Currency, and Monarchy, and Lit, when I could've been a decent way into Republic by now. Ah well. Stopping research... well Germany will have their free MA tech (hopefully NOT Feudalism!) so I hope to beat at least that out of them.

[Edit] Comment: If ever there was a starting island ideally suited to Feudalism, I think this is pretty close to it. Pity it's PtW.

Long:
BC 4000 Quick think results in Settler SW, Worker E, Scout 2E with London founded next turn.
3950 Worker irrigates, Scout 2E, London founded (Scout). Research set to Writing @ 20%.
2630 Save at the start of the turn to look at the island and decide where I want my cities to go. Settling the coast looks like a good idea, especially in the northern tundra where I can pack in a few fishing villages which shouldn't be too corrupt either. Turn on the grid, take a screen grab, and do a dotmap. Settler S,S, towards a very nice area with another cow, some BGs, and a golden hill. First build will be a barracks, then Warriors for the foreseeable future. Worker1 mines, Worker2 mines, Scout1 SE,S, Scout2 NE,NE.
2550 York founded.
2230 Nottingham founded.
2150 Hastings founded. (Writing->Map Making.)
2030 (A Barb horse already - I don't like this!)
1870 Canterbury founded.
1725 Coventry founded.
1675 I lose a Warrior 3-0 to a Barb, who's going to sack Hastings next turn.
1600 Warwick founded.
1375 Newcastle founded.
1325 (Barb horse nabs a Worker - didn't spot that one!)
1125 Liverpool founded.
1100 Dover founded.
1000 QSC: 11 Cities (1 [escorted] settler lost), 32 pop, 2 settlers, 7 workers (1 lost), 22 warriors, 3 granaries, 3 barracks, 478 gold, techs: starting+Writing, Map Making in 1 turn. Contacts: none (I can see dark blue borders to the W of one of my cities, but I've not seen any Galleys yet apart from Barb one). Score: 298. Luxes: Furs.
975 Brighton founded. Start research on Philosophy, in 8.
900 Norwich founded. My first Galley is produced. I head towards the blue borders with it. I have a number of other Galleys in production now.
875 After my Galley survives a Barb attack, I make contact with Germany. I use Writing and Map Making to gain Ceremonial Burial, The Wheel and Masonry. I buy Warrior Code, Bronze Working, Iron Working. Germany has no contacts.
800 Contact with France, and I get contact with <Civ3> from them. Techs gained: Philosophy, Horseback Riding, Mysticism, plus Territory Maps from everyone by selling maps, techs, and contacts. Both have contact with <Civ4>, but aren't selling - I'll get that IBT, no doubt. I switch my research to Polytheism, which is usually good for a tech monopoly.
775 Talk to <Civ4>, and buy Mathematics.
730 Reading founded.
710 Birmingham founded.
670 Contact with <Civ5>, and after various brokering I come away with Code of Laws, contact with <Civ6> and <Civ7>, complete maps, and a lot of gold. I use the gold to establish embassies with everyone (except France, who already established one with me.)
610 Richmond founded, <Civ5>'s island.
550 Exeter founded.
530 Cambridge founded.
390 Gloucester founded. More trading; I get Currency for Polytheism from France, and sell Currency to anyone who has a decent amount of gold. <Civ3> has Republic, so I'll start on Monarchy, instead of Construction (which is bound to be getting researched by someone). My battle plans are already formed: Germany is closest to my core, and I'm going to build Galleys, Horses, Warriors (for upgrade to Swords), and Catapults, before launching my invasion.
370 Manchester founded.
250 Buy Construction from <Civ6>, and enter the Middle Ages. One more city and I'll have my coastline filled in. The island is my fortress. Full steam ahead on tooling up to take out Germany, whilst keeping an eye out for <Civ5> in particular. I'll have packed over 20 cities into my little island, plus one on <Civ5>'s island. It's the tightest build I've ever tried, but it might work. Or it might not. I have four or five cities spitting out Horses/Swords now, and they will be doing so for some time to come. My fishing villages are starting on Temples, and will progress to Harbors.

Neil. :cool:

Moved scout S-S and it seemed that land continues to the south. So I move my settler S - SE and settle next to the cow. This will give my advantage of a cow from the beginning, easier irrigation path to the cow and once the culture expands I have the second cow. After having read about the wonders of RCP I thought for once I would try to setup a ring with distance of 3.5.
I started by building another scout which turned out to be more than I ever needed. Then I built a worker before the granary.

Meeting The Chairman
I guess I was quite lucky. In 3350BC I met the chinese. My scout spotted them far away across the see and yelled out some warm words of welcome. Contact was established and I cannot imagine life on our island if we hadnt met them so early. We traded instantly our knowledge of alphabet and pottery for cash and masonry. More importantly, in 1125BC I traded Philosophy and Code of Laws for knowledge on how to rule the high seas.

State of the Empire in 1000BC
10 cities with 31 citizens
2 settlers
9 workers
15 warriors
1 galley
4 granaries
265 gold
Contact with China and Germany.
Techs: missing Republic (11 turns), Mathematics, Construction, Currency, Polytheism, Monarcy and Literature.

Edited to only show our island.

Exploring
First galley was rushbuilt in 1075BC and in 1050BC we make contact with the Germans. Its a traders paradise, they do not have Alphabet or Masonry.
We find the French in 800BC. They give (well, for a prize) us contact with XXX and YYY. I finally get contact with ZZZ through the Chinese and WWW through ZZZ. Didnt make a note of the year in which I had all the contacts.

Research
The starting strategy was to go straight for Republic and trade for Mapmaking under way. I almost scrapped the idea when I started to realize that we might be alone on a small island. I only kept to the strategy beceause I was counting on help from the Chinese. And it turned out well.
However we discover Republic as late as 730BC. We pull 6 turns anarchy :(

We discover Polytheism as late as 310BC and enter the Middle Ages. At that point we have all contacts. We bring the two scientific civs into the the MA and trade for their free techs Feudalism and Engineering.

The Mistake
After getting Mapmaking from the Chinese I started on the Lighthouse (from a prebuild). Upon starting revolution for Republic in 730BC there were TWO turns left to complete it. To me that was perfect. I would have a possibility to trigger Golden Age in a newly founded republic. Arrrgh, was not meant to be. The XXX dogs built the Lighthouse towards the end of my revolution. You can imagine my fury when I got that message in 630BC. I believe that had a severe impact on my game not to get the Lighthouse and also I never got a golden age.

The Question
Why did I do so badly? Only 10 cities at 1000BC, that is not optimal. Probably related to the fact that I reserved my number two city (with the third cow and a granary) for a wonder prebuild. I dont really know in fact. Maybe I should just try harder and micromanage more --> improve.
Comparing to other people's posts I was also not able to get any real advantage out of meeting the chinese so early.

MjM said:
Hmm I did a early Germany invasion too, but i used horses. What do you guys think is better for AA wars swords or horses?
This time around I definitely favoured swordsmen to start with. It would be a long time before I would know both Iron Working and The Wheel. I had to build units "blindly" because of the lack of tech-trading - like many others I was very late to establish contacts, but I may have been the latest of all. Researching the wheel was not an option for several reasons:

(1) Pretty early in the game, it becomes a non-tradable tech.
(2) I had to make room for wonder builds. (Doesn't apply to any other player as of yet - will I have no one to compete with over 20K? :( )
(3) Choosing chariots over warriors would be unwise for two reasons: (a) they cost 20 shields instead of just 10, so there would be a small number even if it turned out I have horses (b) even if it turned out I have no iron, there is a good chance that I can capture it later with a big bunch of warriors. If I had to capture the iron with horsemen or chariots, I may lose some of those more valable units.

Those are my thoughts, but they are not conclusive. It's a very interesting question since it probably affects how soon you can reach the domination limit. You need mounted units sooner or later, but how many of the early chariots will survive to be upgraded to knights and cavalries? Depends on the map.

@Roland Ehnström: Aha, I forgot about your expansive start. Establishing the fact that there are goody huts elsewhere in the world could hardly be a spoiler after the ancient age though. No need to worry about that, I should think.

Top Bottom