150*196 civ3c 'eternal' map of all of southern Greece- dl here :)

Kyriakos

Creator
Hi, this is my new map of all of southern Greece. For those who have dled my southGreece v.1 or v.1.1 note that those maps were just of the south, whereas this reaches up to 1/3 of Epiros, so is really almost half of Greece. To the west all islands are in apart from Corfu which is in the north, and to the east some islands arent in because they would involve presenting asia minor as well (for example Rhodos and Samos arent in).

in my view this map should provide for fun games, since the mountains and hills present natural borders, as they did in ancient times. Certainly post feedback because its nice to read it :) :) :)

As for sea tiles: i made a nautical map of the aegean, as best as i could with using just 3 different sea tiles, this is why some coast exists away from some islands, it shows that the waters there arent very deep.

**Note** : This map HAS Crete in, which isnt correct in reality. There is a second file near the bottom of this page which has the map without Crete.

note: this isnt a new version of my southern greece map, because it is 15% bigger in size in total, and significantly more bigger if one simply takes out the eastern ocean part in that map using maptweak. so for slower computers i would suggest the use of that map.

Kyriakos

Attachments

• eternalmap_sgreece.zip
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,012
here is a pic of it ;) what you are watching is argolis and achaea (part), then attica and boiteia, then euboia. and, ofcourse, the minimap :borg:

note: resources are randomly placed. you can dl a map of resources either on the web, or on v1 or v1.1 of the southern greece map.

Attachments

• definitive.JPG
    definitive.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 4,529
Oh come on ppl... :borg: This reminds me of a short story, where the village schoolmaster is certain that after he publishes his report (about some very absurd incident) everyone in the big city will be congratulating him, a parade will take place to welcome him in the first outer suburbs, new doors will be opening in every road, and windows will be full of faces crowding themselves just to look at the village schoolmaster. But, in reality, nothing like that would happen. The report would be treated with indifference, and also mockery.

But then again this isnt a story by Kafka, but a map by me :)

It is nice (feel better ? :p).
But it looks bit greenish to me (I mean ratio grassland/plains not representative of the terrains there... IMHO).

Forests? When is this Greece supposed to be? And shouldn't it be much more hilly?

hm, well i used geophysical maps, and still more than 50% (infact way more...) of all the mainland terrain is hills & mountains. As for the green: one reason is that i absolutely hate how yellow plains look in civ3! :lol: I always use grassland instead of plains and so i didnt really care about where plains are, although some are placed. :) Hm, as for the time this map represents, well in theory its classical Greece or before, but i didnt really look to depict forests correctly, apart from areas that were known for their timber trade...

I decided to take Crete out, since it is a lot more to the south of the map. But i kept the first dl so that someone wanting Crete in can have that map.

This is v.1.1 of the map ;)

Attachments

• sgreecebykyriakos_v.1.1.zip
    64.9 KB · Views: 199
a pic of the map and a nonciv3 map.

**note** the ocean that is there and looks suspicously a lot like Crete isnt there because i was too bored to replace it with sea ( :lol: ) but because in reality there are deep waters having the shape of Crete (geologically that makes sense, since it exists!) in the area :)

Attachments

• nocrete.jpg
    nocrete.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,397
Your map of Greece is great. The colors and lay-out are nice. I see what you were getting at and it is impressive. Too bad people are so critical on creative efforts. Keep designing.

There was an awful lot more forest in the mediterranean countries originally than people mostly realize. The desert-like landscapes we associate with them are mostly a result of deforestation, overgrazing and the resulting catastrophic soil erosion. Athens would always have been fairly dry, but some areas (especially in the west) of Greece receive more than 40" of rain a year.

I was looking at some old stuff i made, and found this. Not sure if many people tried it, but it is a very detailed map of part of ancient Greece, and was made for a peloponnesian war scenario i had been working on at the time :)

Thanks for bumping your own work, Varwnos. I have just finished reading a history of the Peloponnesian War myself.

Top Bottom