Water as Space

diguy

Chieftain
Hey

I'm trying to make a scenario about a childhood game my friends and I had. The problem is that whenever I change the water terrain graphic to a space (or any other by that matter) graphic nothing happens. I don't have this problem with any other terrain.

Thanks for any help

That's because at the standard zoom level, water doesn't use that graphic. The standard ocean graphic is only used at lower zoom levels (press "x" a few times and you'll see).

Water uses the graphics at the bottom of the terrain2 image file (the small ones with the coast). If you don't need any "coastal effects", cut up your new ocean graphic into 4 pieces (equal in shape to the 4 leftmost coastal images, the ones arranged in an L-shape). Paste them into that leftmost L-shape and then copy-paste that into all the other coastal graphics.

Doing this in a way that is visually pleasing to the eye is actually not as easy as it sounds conceptually unless you want space to be completely one shade of black. You should have a look at the terrain1+2 files of some ocean = space scenarios. STBAQ, SWINS, SG1 come to mind.

what was the first space scen?, how dated do you think it will look? :crazyeye: :lol:

Warning: a long time ago I tried to make a Sci-Fi Scenario with Water als Space and Land as Planets but there has been an unexpected error. If you use more units as ships than common the game will extremly slow down. Don't ask me why, but it is a fact. A turn will take about 15 minuts(!) instead of about 30 seconds.

another problem i notaced when i was playing a star trek mod is that if you make the map realistic( lots of small planet clusters) the AI becomes braindead, even by regular civ2 standards. :rolleyes:
I Had like 60 ships and all the AI Civs put together had like 15 ships and hoardes
of land units in really stupid places. :mischief:

Broken_Erika said:
another problem i notaced when i was playing a star trek mod is that if you make the map realistic( lots of small planet clusters) the AI becomes braindead, even by regular civ2 standards. :rolleyes:
I Had like 60 ships and all the AI Civs put together had like 15 ships and hoardes of land units in really stupid places. :mischief:

That is true, thats why you need to cluster the planets into solar systems(i.e. continents) to mitigate the problem while making sure each planet has at max three connections to other planets.

Or you could try my nine tile planet set.

EquinoxOmega said:
Warning: a long time ago I tried to make a Sci-Fi Scenario with Water als Space and Land as Planets but there has been an unexpected error. If you use more units as ships than common the game will extremly slow down. Don't ask me why, but it is a fact. A turn will take about 15 minuts(!) instead of about 30 seconds.

I don't think this is true. Its only railways which slowdown the AI a lot.

Othe factors which have an impact, on water or land =

toggling quick unit move
toggling show enemy moves
revealing the entire map.

@Kobyashi: it is true: Every AI needed a couple of minutes to calculate their cities. The units moved in normal speed. I saw it because I enable the cheat mode and let me show the worldmap. I think the AI can't handle so many marine units or maybe it is an other bug in that game.

Top Bottom