SGOTM5 - Team MOTH

mad-bax

Deity
GOTM Staff
SGOTM5 - Russia. Game Thread Team MOTH.

Hi everyone, and welcome to the SGOTM5 Game thread.

Note: EVERYONE will have to install the correct resource graphics whether or not they have played SGOTM4.

Here is the start position.

Map Parameters
Playable Civ - Russia
World size - Large, 25% land give or take.
Difficulty Regent - but plays harder.
The map is handbuilt, and therefore may not have a standard configuration.

Here are a couple of links you might find useful.

The original GOTM23 Announcement.
The Constitution
The GOTM Reference Thread.
SGOTM5 Maintenance Thread

This Months' sponsored variant is OBCC - One Built City Conquest the rules for which are as follows.

1. You may never build a settler.
2. You must win by conquest victory condition.

Checking in as well. I get to be team captain this time with my own team name. I'm usually pretty decent at fog gazing, but I don't see anything in this start.

Forest on Tundra or tundra on every tile we can see even a little of...

I'm thinking that the 1st player will explore at least 2 turns and then maybe check back in.

I'm thinking Explorer west to the mountain, settler South, and worker North. If we find any decent land it will be on one of the rivers I think.

M60 reporting in. Having trouble already with the file set-up. Can't open the test PTW file at the moment. Waiting to hear back from our resident tech support. ;)

@ TB: Where's the save file? Hadn't seen it anywhere.

The save is also right herer for quick reference.

As for setting up the rotation, I'd like to take advantage of timezones if possible.

I am in Mass, USA, Eastern Timezone (GMT -5 I think). It looks like M60 tank boy is also in Mass. Chamnix is NJ, so eastern as well.

Tim, what timezone is Illinois?

stagnate, where are you located?

M60, where abouts in Mass? I'm in Southboro in between Framingham and Worcester, but I grew up in Salem NH and Andover up in the Merrimack Valley.

Not too far down south of you, in Franklin. I see you and TB were on Team Bede for SGOTM4. I skipped that one, played on Team Sesn for SGOTM3.

I think priority criteria for Moscow should be:
2 food bonuses
river
coastal

Mad-bax commented that there is 25% land in his hand designed map, so I think we should get a coastal spot if possible.

While we wait for two more check-ins the rotation will be:

M60
TimBentley
Chamnix
stagnate
MOTH

Hey, I just noticed that Chamnix's post count is 1: congrats on you first post, and to signup up at that :band:

Checking in, out of town until Tuesday so not able to play any turns before that. I'm in mountain time.

Checking in...

I assume we are playing in PTW since everyone else elected that - I've only had PTW for about a week, so I am not as familiar with it. No matter how hard I look I cannot see a sheep in the test file. I unzipped the file in the scenarios directory, and the SGOTM 5 folder appeared as it was supposed to, but when I loaded the test game - no sheep. Is there some additional step that would be obvious to anyone familiar with PTW that I am missing, or should I contact mad-bax?

As far as our start, I agree with MOTH that scout to the western mountain is first - a river is better than no river, and the western mountain will reveal more tiles than the southeastern one. Settler south sounds good since both rivers flow south. Hopefully those moves will reveal something so the worker will head south or west to out future city site instead of moving him away, but if there is nothing to be seen, then we will have to use him to explore as well.

All of MOTH's city criteria would be great, but I have a feeling we won't be that lucky. I think 2 food bonuses is probably too much to ask for - the fast growth from food would be great, but food may not be as important in this game as in most since we won't be building settlers (we are playing variant, right?).

I didn't cover initial builds or research. Any thoughts?

Builds I think we should build 2 more scouts. I'd like us to get to goody huts before our neighbors. Goody huts will have a very good chance of getting techs or units for us.

As for reseach, we start with Bronze Working and Alphabet. We are only at regent level, so happiness won't immediately be an issue. I think we should go for Warrior Code so that we can build Archers and Heroic Epic.

The thing that is common in the OBC games is an early lack of money. We need to make sure we don't build too many units or improvements.

If possible, I'd like us to build the Colossus for the added money, but that will depend on how close are neighbors are and when we can start gaining cities.

As for the test game, the sheep should be Southeast of the start location. I am running Civ3 Gold. Maybe the location is slightly different if you are running Complete or Conquests...

Make sure you are running the PTW executable and not one of the others.

Cow by the coast. Excellent. And lots more tundra near the equator. hmmm... I think mad-bax has probably setup a barren world for the player's start location.

I think the worker and settler should head to the west as well. The scout should explore the immediate area near the cow so we can get the best location.

As Chamnix said, we might not get two bonus food and that's ok. I would like to consider some pop-rushes as we grow to big, but we need t try and get to as bug as we can quickly.

The sheep is also not much more than an outline, and very hard to see on the plains tile. A right-click to do the terrain analysis will verify that it's there.

I could see the sheep clearly in the test save, but then again they were there for SGOTM4, so I would have been in trouble if I couldn't see them. I'll post a screenie of the test save as an edit in a few minutes....

Here's the screenie of the test save...

I have the feeling there's an approximately as good location in the other two directions. Regardless, I see no reason not to go west.

Warrior code and some scouts sound good. By the time we stop getting techs from goody huts, maybe we'll have captured or soon be ready to capture more cities so we can have good research.

Sounds like you have the resources_ shadows file installed correctly but not the Resources file. I'll post a solution a bit later. I have a prior engagement to go to first.

Top Bottom