YASOB (Yet another set of borders)

bluebox

King
To me, borders in Civ III look somewhat boring. Moreover, they seem to collide with other overlay elements, e.g. jungle, so sometimes I cannot figure out where the heck my territory ends and the foreign one begins.

Several attempts have been already untertaken by modders to improve borders. Well, here's yet another set of borders, it's my personal solution: I 'simply' doubled the borderlines so you perceive them as stripes of chessboard pattern (it was not so simple with the hill slopes).

I figured it looks nice in-game, so I post the 'territory.pcx' file here. Installation: If you like them, too, and you want to see th3em in your games, please put it in the '\civ3\art\terrain' folder, the new borders will appear in all installed versions of CivIII. Back-up the original file in case you get bored again. :)

Good or bad, please don't hesitate to tell me what you think.

Final Version: Territory.pcx, time stamp 11/26/2004, has been removed after 129 downloads. Thanks for your interest! I hope you enjoy them! :)

The new attachment contains a slightly edited version. The hill slopes weren't the best so I improved them a bit. I'm completely satisfied with my borders set now and this will be that last and final version.

Attachments

• Territory.pcx
    8.2 KB · Views: 442
I like it :) Nice, thick borders that don't disappear in jungles.
Thanks, and good job.

That has to be the best border design to date: Elegant and fully functional, yet simple. I'll be sdding these to the Final Fantasy mod post haste.

Hi...
Thanks for the borders ....
I'm using these permantly now as they are easy to see and look great.
Much appreciated.

I think these are the best borders so far ! Simple, clear, don't disappear in forests and jungle,... Very good job :goodjob:

Thanks for your appreciation! I'm happy there is so much positive feedback. And even from the modding pro's in this forum. :blush: :)

@Corey: the river delta that is placed 'over' the border, is it that what you mean? Yes, indeed it's a kind of 'bug' or graphic glitch, but not one I can do anything about. Sorry.
There are even more glitches: NE of the spices, the greek border is covered by the forest. The advantage of broader borders mainly is: if pieces of the border are hidden, you can discover the neighbouring border tiles more easily :D . Or have a look at that mountain tile in the E part of the Greek territory: That piece of border should be 'behind' the mountain top.
Beside of that, you never get the corners right. They either overlap or there remains a gap. These are typical problems with the Civ3 borders.

Nevertheless: thanks again! Keep on posting! :)

I found out that my YASOB borders are quite close to a borders set during the development of civ3. Here's a screenshot from August, 3rd, 2001 on gamespot. It is supposed to show the diplo dialog, but look at the borders in the background. :)

Hi again! :bump:

I posted a final version of my borders set in the first post. The hill slopes were finalized by me. Personally I think it's perfect now. :lol:

Top Bottom