Foreign Ministry: Averting War With the Zulu

Donovan Zoi

The Return
It has been recently discovered that Zulu Knights are threatening our borders. And once again, war is being considered as a possible option.

Well, it doesn't have to be that way. :)

In CivGeneral's absence, I would like to propose the following:

We gift the Zulus a luxury and 1 gpt.

Based on my experience, the Luxury should raise the Zulu attitude toward Japanatica from Annoyed to Polite. The gpt deal is there to hopefully avert war by giving our neighbors to the north something to lose(albeit a pittance). But then again, do we really need to offer the gpt if we have a 20 turn lux deal?

The Foreign Ministry is opposed to signing an RoP with the Zulu, as I do not wish to see this gathering of forces treading upon our land. Once they are here, it may be hard for us to get them to leave. Especially if they have access to our rail network.

Please let me know what you think. This proposal will need to meet the approval of Minister CivGeneral.

Go for it, but if they fail to leave, MSAV will act.
You know the procedure for "leave our land"

At best, it'll give the Zulus a rep hit. Broken trade deals.

Why not just sign a ROP with them and everyone else? If they attack us, they take a huge rep hit. (Most) our cities are fortified well enough.

It's not a question of if "most" of our cities are 'fortified enough'. The AI will know what our weakest city is and attack it that turn. Why? The railnet.

Chieftess said:
It's not a question of if "most" of our cities are 'fortified enough'. The AI will know what our weakest city is and attack it that turn. Why? The railnet.

Exactly, CT. That is why I am strongly against signing RoPs with continental nations unless we have the backing of an MPP. Who cares about another's reputation when our cities are in flames?

Donovan Zoi said:
Exactly, CT. That is why I am strongly against signing RoPs with continental nations unless we have the backing of an MPP. Who cares about another's reputation when our cities are in flames?

Or worse - razed! We have a lot of culture in those cities...

Donovan Zoi said:

Which is why I advocate that we continue our buildup of defensive units. A ROP would continually increase our relations with other nations. I don't like MPPs though, they drag us into wars we don't want/need.

Chieftess said:
Or worse - razed! We have a lot of culture in those cities...

Good point. In your experience, do you have an idea of which civs are most likely to raze a captured city? Is city size a factor?

blackheart said:
Which is why I advocate that we continue our buildup of defensive units. A ROP would continually increase our relations with other nations. I don't like MPPs though, they drag us into wars we don't want/need.

The opposite of imperialism is isolationism, both of which are too extremist for my tastes. I feel that we should court at least one nation for an MPP. This will add some spice to the game, as actual lines will start being drawn into the sand.

That is, besides the huge line that passes between our borders and everyone else. ;).

Donovan Zoi said:
The opposite of imperialism is isolationism, both of which are too extremist for my tastes. I feel that we should court at least one nation for an MPP. This will add some spice to the game, as actual lines will start being drawn into the sand.

That is, besides the huge line that passes between our borders and everyone else. ;).

We should ally with the weakest nation or one that is at war with everyone :mischief:

No ROP please - not now we have the railnet, if they're going to attack they'll use it to attack our weakest city with all their troops - we can't afford to keep them all fortified like border cities! Make the deal with something we can afford if they don't declare, but they stand to lose, not us if they do. I don't think we have any luxuries to gift them though, we do have Saltpetre, but that would allow them to build Cavalry.

Initiating trade with them will also avert war (I think). Whatever the options, I suggest this be polled soon.

Donovan Zoi said:
Please let me know what you think. This proposal will need to meet the approval of Minister CivGeneral.

Again, I wish to apologise for not posting in the Absence Registery that I would be a little tied up this Thanksgiving weekend. I would hearby approve of this measure after hearing that many of the people are opposed to writing a RoP with the Zulus.

I wish to give thanks to Zoi for quickly writing up this proposal and hope that he would look after the FAs ministry in Term 5, you have already earned my endorcement in your election to FAs minister in Term 5.

no way i believe the FA should follow a policy of not negoatiting with terrorist nations that threatens us with military force

DZ, there's 1 flaw in your proposal:

If we have a Lux OR GPT export active, If we have go to war, it's US that breaks the Trade Deal and thus takes the Rep hit.

Instead, let us offer a MPP without ROP. Even if Zululand's goal is Babylon, the Babs would have to go though us to reach them... And if it isn't then we will ahve lost nothing... but the Zulus are guaranteed a Rep Hit.

Sir Donald III said:
DZ, there's 1 flaw in your proposal:

If we have a Lux OR GPT export active, If we have go to war, it's US that breaks the Trade Deal and thus takes the Rep hit.

Instead, let us offer a MPP without ROP. Even if Zululand's goal is Babylon, the Babs would have to go though us to reach them... And if it isn't then we will ahve lost nothing... but the Zulus are guaranteed a Rep Hit.

Even if they declare war on us? I don't think so.

The simple thing to do here is not declare war. A lack of RoP will limit Zulu movement and allow us to protect our interests if they decide to trespass. If we ask them to leave on consecutive turns and they don't, then they will be the ones declaring war....not us.

Are you sure we would get the rep hit for that?

DZ

Just assure me a first strike, so they are forced to declare war when standing on our territory. I would not let the Neville Chamberlain peacenik Embryons allow the Zulus a first strike. SImply put, ask them to leave, or declare war. We are not a transit country for naked black men with shields, loincloths, spears and a curiosity for railroads and suprise attacks.

Provolution said:
DZ

Just assure me a first strike, so they are forced to declare war when standing on our territory. I would not let the Neville Chamberlain peacenik Embryons allow the Zulus a first strike. SImply put, ask them to leave, or declare war. We are not a transit country for naked black men with shields, loincloths, spears and a curiosity for railroads and suprise attacks.

I will assure you that I will request(if CG doesn't) for our DP to ask the Zulu to leave at the outset of each turn. What you will need to do is protect all interests within two tiles of their Knights, in case of a sneak attack. Of course, we have the the upper hand in either scenario if we do it right.

Please let me know. The last thing I want is to be lumped in with the peacenik Capitalistic Embryons, if I am not already. ;)

Top Bottom