Jurimax
Oopsy Poopsy:
Plarq: up
Bede: on deck
Peacemonger
Trikos
dl123654

Intro
I would like to improve my gaming skill and particularly my trading skill. It seems like all the training games are full or finished, so I hope there is sufficient with interested people to start a new one.

This is my first succession game, so please let me know if I am missing something :)

Settings:

Difficulty: Emperor
Variant: No research
Civilization: Carthage
Map size: Standard
Barbarians: Roaming
Map type: Archipelago 70%
Climate: All average
AI aggression: Normal
Victory conditions: Default
Opponents: 7 random
Civ version: C3C v. 1.22 and noaipatrol=0

Trainers:
Bede
dl123654

Trainees:
Trikos
Jurimax
Oopsy Poopsy
Plarq
Peacemonger

"Examinator"

Rik Meleet

Originally Posted by TedJackson
General SG Etiquette Guidelines
Please do:
Let the team know if you're going to be unable to play for an extended period - holiday, illness, exams etc.
Post a "Got it" notice or ask for a skip within 24 hours of the save becoming available (I reserve the right to skip a player who hasn't responded after the 24 hour grace period is over).
Play and post within 48 hours of posting a "Got it".
Zip up your save file before posting.
Write up a log of the events occurring during your turn and post it along with your save.
Provide notes for the next player as to the current situation and any immediate plans for the future - are those Caravels heading NE or SW? is that Swordsman fortified to heal or act as a lookout? Our forces are mustering for an attack on...
Feel free to pause and ask for advice, or simply discuss, if a situation arisies in the game and you're unsure of the best course of action.

Please do not:
Automate Workers.
Use City Governors unless the team has discussed and agreed their use.
Leave units on goto orders that will extend beyond your turn.
Make deals on your last turn. However, you should notify the next player if trading opportunities exist.
Make wholesale changes to build orders on the inherited turn without consulting the team.

General Gameplay Notes
Reputation: we will need to protect our reputation very carefully in the early part of the game. Losing the ability to make GPT deals early on would make the game much harder.

Brokering: for those unfamiliar with the term it's just a shorthand for acting as "middleman" in deals - e.g. buying a tech from Civ A then selling it on to Civs B, D & E (hopefully picking up something else of value along the way). We'll need to be on the lookout for brokering opportunities at every turn so I suggest that we use CRPMapstat to monitor trade opportunities. This utility offers no information that cannot be gained by slogging through the Diplomatic screens every turn, it just presents the information quickly and simply.

Keeping the AI Isolated (from each other): again, this is an important factor that will help us to maintain our position as a broker. Even if we have to devote significant resources to keeping the AI isolated we will still benefit by controlling trade. Obviously this situation can only last until the end of the Middle Ages but it is well worth the effort!

Roads: we will need every gold piece we can lay our hands on in the early game so building roads has an even higher priority than normal. We really don't want our citizens working unroaded tiles.

If we can get 6 players (4 trainees and 2 trainers) then I would like to join (as a trainee). I'm now beginning to be a regular Monarch player (thanks to SGs) and would like to step up.

Greetz Jurimax

lurker's comment: Training-wise, I have learned most from No Research games. They add just about no difficulty (except early on, which is a bit harder) yet help you learn a lot. Rules are here.

Not a signup, but I'll lurk.

I agree with Viper275. No research is a great way to force yourself to trade. See this game here JumpMasters 1B We played the Mongols from the GOTM mod and never took the science slider off of 0% and never hired a scientist. That game was on Emp. and it played like a normal Emp game.

@Viper - Nice Avatar :D (I appreciate the thanks in your sig...but you missed a "t" in my name)

Edit:
@trikos: Welcome to CFF!! I'm impressed starting a game within your first 3 posts!

Concur with vipr :).

Make it no research with a Seafaring civ and the trading/training possibilities are excellent.

Would be happy to assist with the training duties.

:wavey: and welcome to CFC.

@Viper275: Good idea with the no research variant.

@Misfit: I have lurked around for a while. Time will tell if should have joined a game instead of starting one ;)

@Bede: Thanks for joining for the training duties :) I have to look for a seafaring civ.

I suggest we make this a no research game.

Edit: wording (english is my second language :crazyeye: )

As to a civ choice, I'd like to give the Byzantines a try, I recently played a solo game with them and won (was only Monarch though, but 1CC and won 20K culture). I'd now like to see how they go with more cities.

Greetz Jurimax

I'll sign up as a trainee if you'll have me. I'm a regent/monarch player (only monarch i've finished was cotm6). It's all the attention to detail that the higher levels require that scare me so this would be perfect for me. I'm a get a tech lead and run with it kind of player so I could really use the practice trading and getting used to checking those screens every turn. I've never played a succession game before but I've been waiting until now to start 'cause I've been in and out of town, but travelling's done with and I can commit to being there when called upon.

awesome. How many more do we need? I'm also including an attachment of a c3c v1.22 save game as a test to make sure I know what I'm doing. :D

edit: looks like it worked

Well trikos you have one of the best trainers I could have suggested in Brother Bede. He's also one of my trainers in GK2 - Training Day Experiment. If you need to learn trading listen to Bede! Good luck I will prolly continue to lurk and throw in an occasional comment here and there. Good Luck!

@oopsy poopsy: we need one more player.

@Misfit: Sounds great.

1) I guess we can go on and find us a civ to play. The seafaring civs are:

Scandinavia
Carthage
Netherlands
Byzantines
English
Spanish
Portugal

I have just played the COTM05 (EDIT: it was Conquest 06) as the Portuguese, so I would prefer not to play them again.

2) Would it be a good idea to let the game role a couple of games and determine which one to play based on the opening position? I can post, lets say 3 openings we can discuss.

i agree about portugal, since i just did the same. I'd prefer either Netherlands for the food, carthage for the workers and the uu, or england for the trading money (although an early GA would be tough).

If you need another trainer, I'll join up. This will be my first succession game however I have lurked in many. I've won 6 emperor games on my own and am working on a demigod game and felt I needed a break from it.

Short review of Sea civs:
Byzantines
--> seafaring and scientific
--> Bronze Working and Alphabet
--> Dromon instead of Galley
Carthage
--> seafaring and industrious
--> Alphabet and Masonry
--> Numidian Mercenary instead of Spearman
England
--> seafaring and commercial
--> Alphabet and Pottery
--> Man-o-war instead of Frigate
Netherlands
--> seafaring and agricultural
--> Alphabet and Pottery
--> Swiss Mercenary instead of Pikeman
Portugal
--> seafaring and expansionist
--> Alphabet and Pottery
--> Carrack instead of Caravel
Scandinavia
--> seafaring and militaristic
--> Alphabet and Warrior Code
--> Berserk instead of Longbowman
Spain
--> seafaring and religious
--> Alphabet and Ceremonial Burial
--> Conquistador instead of Explorer

Wouldn't it also be nice to choose an Archipelago map?
Playing the tech broker will also sharpen our trading skills, right?

Greetz Jurimax

Top Bottom