New Unit: The Trident

Orthanc

Shipwright
IT'S FINALLY FLIPPIN' FINISHED!

My second unit, the massive fictional sailing ship The Trident is complete. I started this thing at the beginning of November, but my next unit will definately NOT take anywhere near as long, maybe I can evn make it a christmas present and set a new record for myself.:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone who contributed ideas and help in this thing's In Progress thread, you really helped keep me motivated.

Anywho, here's the file:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/Trident.zip

And a preview Civilopedia pic (sorry I don't have animated previews, I don't know/ forget how to do those)

Attachments

• TridentLarge.pcx
    14.2 KB · Views: 2,441
This thing is basically, if not exactly the length of the default battleship, although quite a bit taller. I can't post a screenshot for a) I haven't put it into my scenario yet. b) I can't put it in a scenario because for the most unknown and apparently random reason the Civ Editor doesn't open on this computer. c) The computer it does work on, my dad's laptop is currently in use.

So as you can see, It'll be probably twice as easy to just put this thing into a scenario set to debug mode and just see the unit there.

Oh and by the way, the much anticipated Corvette is now in progress! I'll start a thread for it once I finish modelling the basic hull.

Dom Pedro II said:
Yay! I was wondering when we'd get to see this! Awesome! :goodjob:

EDIT: MY GOD! IT'S ENORMOUS! That's no moon... it's a space station!

A sea version of Emperior Palpatine's Eclipse-Class Star Destroyer indeed....

Ah yes, I saw this monstrosity in the preview thread. Will you be making a scaled down version? I wouldn't want to see one of these sink a battleship...
Over all, I like it better than the Ship of the Line in the neopoleanic europe scenario that came with conquests. Just a couple things though. The death animation is very fast. I understand you're going for an explosion, but it looks like its just falling through the water as if it were air. Also, maybe its just the shape of the hull, but in the diagonal, along side other long ships (especial destroyers/battleships), the angle the ship is facing seems off. Not a biggie. One last small thing; the sails are a little bleached compared to other sailing vessels (in fact, it looks a little too realistic for civ... all of the games boats are rater "squat").
Great job. I especailly like the three different attack variations.
Btw, is that the corvette in your avatar?

No, that's the first ship he made.

Anyway, I agree about the death anim, but it's a pretty easy thing to fix. One could do it alone if one had a FLICster program.

yeah, I did that. Doesn't quite look right, because there's not enough frames. Its not so terrible as to warrant a remake of the death anim., but it'd be something for Orthanc to keep in mind for future endeavors.

What is Orthanc's first boat called?

I personally like the yellow smoke, aaglo also uses yellow smoke so my ships and aaglo's ships should look good, or at least consistent in game. I'll try and make the death animation of the Corvette work a bit better, which as I have said before should take a LOT less time to adjust, since I've already done all the testing and experimenting with animations with my Sloop and Trident.

You're right Bungus, the angle is a little bit off, again something I'll watch for in the Corvette. Hopefully it won't be too bothersome a problem for the Trident in game, since I'm really not planning on changing this thing. It takes almost an hour per direction to render the death and attack animations. :eek:

Anyways, thanks for the reviews everyone, and keep an eye out for my Corvette! :D

Wow, this is one heck of a unit. I definitely have a use for it in my FF mod as one of Alexandra's UU's. I can't wait to see your covette :goodjob:

(question: is anyone else getting a distorted PCX file? my program opens it with errors and its all "jumbled")

Preview attached:

Attachments

• TridentAttackB.gif
    TridentAttackB.gif
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,363
Thanks for making a preview for me. Just a note to veiwers, the actual flic's should look quite a bit clearer (at least they do on my computer). Enjoy!

Reminds me of a Battle Clipper :).

Samoht_Okpoh said:
Its huge... and wonderful!

That's what my ex-girlfriend used to say... ;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist! :p

I think I'd like it if Aluminium would be willing to scale this down a little bit (and retime the death anim) so that it's large by comparison to the wooden ships but not as big as the standard battleship.

It's you're decision how big you want this thing to be in game, but I'd just like to point out to readers that this thing is actually as long as a modern battleship (in reality, though this is a fictional vessel if you can figure that out). But Civ3 never keeps things to scale anyways (ie: spearmen taller than Galleons in game :lol: ) so again, your decision. Anyhwo, just a side note.

EDIT: One other thing. Why didn't this get put on the main page as a new file in the latest update? Do I have to put it there myself? It's not a big problem, but it would help people in finding the file.

Top Bottom