THE FLYING DUTCHMAN (Conquest Demigod Training)

Pied Piper

Warlord
Calling all Dutchmen for a new succession game. I am a longtime civ fan but new to this site. Would like to move up to the Demigod level and learn a quicker style of play, especially tech trading and closer city placement. My style tends toward early dominance, with minimal overlap and then building up but I have never built a spaceship in civ3 and would like to learn the differences. So here is my proposal:

Civ: Dutch (of course)
Victory: Spaceship only
Level: Demigod
Barbs: Roaming or worse
AIciv: 7 or 11
World: Continents, 70% H2O, Normal, Temperate, 5 MYO
Start: Single roll of the dice, take what comes up
Pace: Neither slow nor fast but for fun and a learning game

ADDITIONAL RESTRICTIONS:
1) Palaces may only be in home cities and may not be moved.
2) May not own a home city more than X tiles away from either palace,
Where X = 6, 7 or 8 (Negotiable) (Maybe 8 & 6?)
3) Far cities from huts are allowed but will count against the oversea limit.
4) May not take or create more overseas cities than home cities.
5) Overseas cities may be on home continent if at least Y tiles from either
palace, Where Y = 16 to 20. (Negotiable)
6) Tiles at or beyond this limit are considered part of a different continent.
7) No more than Z Continental tiles outside of cultural boundary may be
occupied between turns, Where Z = 6, 7 or 8 (Negotiable)
8) No tile limit while at war with a continental civ
9) Limited DoWs allowed (one per age? none is probably too restrictive.)

Tricks allowed but not exploits that violate the spirit of the game please.
Minimum one line comment for each turn.
Also read something about not changing city names?

Would like to get at least 3 or 4 others to play and perhaps a couple of lurkers to sub if necessary. This may be a self taught venture unless someone familiar with Demigod spaceships cares to join. Please add your comments and suggestions below. :king:

Welcome to CFC :beer:

You should post a brief summary of this game in the SG registry thread (stickied) and include a link to this thread if you want to get people to see this.

Download Save File

I have played the first 20 turns and will say that this world is full of possibilities. Let's build a spaceship and look for others. If anyone else cares to play the first 20 we can use the best start. After some reflection I have refined the restrictions below:

Civ: Netherlands
Victory: Spaceship only
Level: Demigod
Barbs: Reckless
AIciv: 11 Random
World: Continents, 70% H2O, Normal, Temperate, 5 MYO
Start: Single roll of the dice, take what comes up, see screenshot
SGL: Off

FLYING DUTCHMAN RESTRICTIONS:
1) Palaces may only be in home cities and may not be moved.
2) May not own a home city more than X tiles away from either palace, where X = 6, +1 if on a river or lake, +2 if on the coast.
3) Far cities from huts are allowed but count against the oversea limit.
4) May not obtain more overseas cities than home cities with a harbor.
5) Overseas cities may be on home continent if no potentially workable city tile is within Y tiles from the original palace, where Y = 21.
6) Tiles beyond this limit are considered part of a different continent.
7) No more than Z home continent tiles outside of cultural border may be occupied between turns, where Z = 7.
8) No tile occupation limit while at war with a civ that has a continental city.
9) Captured continental cities must be returned when treaty signed if not eligible to be a home city.
10) One DoW allowed per age. Player issuing DoW must... (insert your consequences here).

Minimum one line comment for each turn and top 3 objectives at handoff.

lurker's comment: If you want players, DO NOT just take the first turns. Some players actually likes to take the first shot.

Normally, if this is the only save, there should be some discussions before it's settled.

Discussions are good!

lurker's comment:
Did you disable all victory conditions except space or are they all on and the team will only consider a space ship launch as being victorious?
If it's the former you really should roll another start with everything on. It will hamstring the AI.

I think everyone that wants to play should do the first 20 turns from the start file and then we pick the best one submitted.

Regarding the victory conditions, only spaceship is enabled. I dont want to fight the AI, I want to build a spaceship. Of course we probably will still fight the AI but that is not the emphasis here. Civ 2 was the last time I built a spaceship.

As for the rule on building distance for home cities, I wanted to create the feel of a Dutch civ with a smaller homeland concentrated on the coast, but with the potential for large dominions across the waters.

I went a played another world with these build restrictions, which I found to be a little too tight. Therefore I propose the following slight change to the 6 tile from a palace build radius:

Add a distance bonus from each of the 9 tiles in the initial city radius to determine the total bonus. City center must be within 6 plus the total bonus.
-1 for each Mountain or Desert
+1 for each Lake, Jungle, Marsh, Coast or Flood Plain
+1 for each bonus resource
+1 if city is on a river

This makes the borders more variable and fits well with the Dutch tradition of settling lowlands and improving terrain. Not to mention just being practical. Note that actually improving the terrain may make a city too far, these cities will still count as home cities. When building a city next to a culture border less than 9 tiles may add a bonus, unless at war with the civ across the border. (The Dutch have Combat settlers;)

Top Bottom