New Unit, Victorian Sci-Fi Land Battleship (31 DEC 04)

DJ Bonebraker

a.k.a Laura
Well, here's a present for auld lang syne :D After about a month of hard work, sidetracks, frustrations and animating, I've finished my most ambitious project to date. This is a hypothetical Victorian Super-Duper Heavy steam tank armed with four 12-inch naval guns (capable of lobbing a 1600 lb projectile 20 mi), four 5-inch twin cannon turrets (with a 13 mi range), four 50-caliber gatling gun ball turrets, and various loopholes for the crew to fire rifles out of. I created this unit for the steampunk mod, and slightly based it off of the Sand Steamers in the Trigun anime/manga series. I don't have the sounds done yet, but I'll post them later (I'd have had to upload them seperately anyways since the animations, pedia and units_32 icons alone are 2.7 megs).

So, without further ado, get the land battleship here:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/LandBB.zip

"It is an elegant weapon for a more civilized age." :lol:

Animated preview (victory animation not shown since it is the a reversed version of the fortify animation and would interrupt the flow of the preview) below. Default => Fidget => Run => Fortify => Attack A => Attack B => Attack C => Death

Attachments

• bbl.gif
    bbl.gif
    276.2 KB · Views: 9,230
WOW.
That is pretty crazy!
Good work! :thumbsup: :D

Edit: First reply! :D

:goodjob:
This will make a fantastic addition to the Steampunk mod, thanks for all your hard work and have a great Hogmany!!

How's it going with the Steampunk mod KingArthur? Haven't heard anything about it in a while...

No, thats not it. Screw it. I'm doing what I usually do and Blaming it on the Republicans.

Which Republican? Lets SPIN THE WHEEL OF REPUBLICANS!

*Spin!*
Tktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktktk tk tk tk tk tk tk tk tk tk

NEWT GINGRIDGE! COME ON DOWN! Its YOUR fault today!

Well, unless I missed something he is still a Republican. And thus on the wheel.

Yeah. Not a guy I would liek to run ito in a back alley somewherez.... Because that would cause me to speculate how this feller could Fit in a back alley.

Great unit, although I wouldn't call it Victorian. It looks more WW1 era to me, considering they only just got the Steam Train rolling in Victoria's reign.

Well it's coming along slowly. I have added techs for the early industrial age where I originally had land ships but I think I will move these to the next age after seeing how powerful this unit looks.

P.S.Y.C.H.O. said:
How's it going with the Steampunk mod KingArthur? Haven't heard anything about it in a while...

Attachments

• Steampunk the Scenario.zip
    104.2 KB · Views: 375
Well, I'm glad you guys like it. I'll have a full set of sounds ready when I get back from my vacation.

KA: I'm glad to see that the steampunk mod is still going, since I've always been into Victorian Sci-fi (a.k.a. steampunk) stuff.

GoldFlash: Dark alleY?! Heck, I'd rather face an AT-AT than one of these (all you have to do is wrap an AT-AT's legs with cable and down she goes.... a tactic wholly unsuited for this thing).

Figaro: The fist steam locomotive was invented in 1812 or somewhere thereabouts, as a matter of fact, the same guy who invented the steam locomotive also put a steam engine in a carriage, creating the first automobile. The problem is that while the rest of the horse-riding public could tolerate the noisy steam engines on trains, they didn't like Stevens' contraption scaring their horses on the street, so he had to scrap it. A pity, since it would be about another 70 years or so before anyone else would have the same idea (of a steam-driven horseless carriage), so it could very likely fall under the Victorian Era, since the technology used in this thing existed at the time. The 12-inch guns were used on the HMS Dreadnaught (the first true battleship), the 5-inch guns had been used on early destroyers (the US Navy built its first Destroyer in 1898, IIRC) and torpedo rams, and the Gatling gun was invented in 1863 and fairly thouroughly tested in the later half of the American Civil War.

Well, I'll be heading off down the road now, so see you guys later.

Top Bottom