MLDR005 NOW what?

meldor

Deity
Non-Oscillating War Demi-God

The variant goes as follows:

The first Civ we meet, we declare war on them and stay at war until they are wiped from the face of the earth. We must declare war on them by the end of the turn in which we meet them. (This does allow for trades but no gpt or lux payments, you may build an embassy, but it won't be of much use).

We then take the Civ we contacted second and declare war on them and stay at war until they are defeated. Each Civ will be destroyed in the order that we meet them. If more than one Civ buys contact with us in the interturn and we don't know which one bought contact first, then when it comes time to declare war on ones of those Civs, the player may chose which one to declare on.

Before it becomes their "turn" we may freely make deals with any other Civ. Please avoid any RoP, gpt, and other deals with the next victim if it gets close to their turn. The one exception would be a deal for an alliance against the current victim.

Standard rules apply, no exploits. However, dastardly is allowed as long as you respect our reputation for the most part. It is OK to declare war dishonorably, but not take peace and then attack before 20 (unless they do the declaring). You may not make peace with the current victim.

I try not to be as hard about play time, sometimes things get in the way. I won't make hard and fast deadlines, but would ask you to either play or post a skip as soon as you are able. This keeps the game moving and keeps everyone interested and happy.

Also, each turn (except the first player) will be around ten turns +/- a few. If you don't have to complete them all then its OK to stop early and pass it on. Sometimes the game just has some natural break points beyond which you might commit the next player to a massive undertaking and you want to leave the choice up to them as they will shoulder the burden. Sometimes a war is just about over and you don't want to leave a the next player with a couple of boring "clean-up" turns or you have worked to get something done that you feel is important and you don't want it lost. Take a couple extra to do so. Try not to "hog" all the fun, but don't short change yourself either.

The parameters, standard size, continents, 70%, normal, temperate, 4 billion. Random opponents, random barbs, standard victory conditions, no culture link, no respawn. These are not set in stone, let me know if anyone wants changes.

The roster from the old games were:
Meldor
Northern Pike
Belisar
Arizona_Steve
ChrTh
Coffee

ChrTh has indicated an a desire to play. If anyone else on this list wants to play speak up. I will give several days for those who wish to do so time to chime in. I will take those who want to be on stand-by for any open slots.

I would like to do this one and then for the next game go back to Diety or Sid. We can then up the number of opponents that we have to be at war with at one time. I am trying to work up to AWD Diety or SID. They say it can't be done. We will see.

Thoughts, any other Civs for consideration?

I'm close to my limit in games...but still, it would be great to get this series re-started, so I'd like to play. I should mention, though, that I'll be totally out of touch for Civ purposes for approximately the last two weeks of February and the first week of March. I don't have to play if that's a problem.

OK, so far we have ChrTh and Northern Pike that have confirmed. It looks like Cooffee is no longer using the forums and Belisar and Steve have both been off the boards since October. I will open this up for at least two more slots, three max. Remember the level is Demi-God and it is a harder variant.

I would be interested in joining, but only play DG on solo games. I do quite well however. Your call.

Meldor
Northern Pike
ChrTh
Romeothemonk
Open
Open

We nee at least one more as we will be down to 3 while NP is out of pocket.

Meldor
Northern Pike
ChrTh
Romeothemonk
Microbe
Open

Baring anyone else joining, I will seed a game tomorrow. Since I play enough turns to ensure we have a viable start, I will randomly select the order and who will be first out of the block. I will place myself last in the list so that any foreknowledge I gain will not change anything.

I like Random civs.
Knowing the type of game and picking an early defender civ (Sumeria, Greece, Dutch) almost makes it too easy. That and with the human style of play, I think that those are the three best civs.
This is a pretty loaded roster, with me being the likely weakest link, and I think we could even lead the Portugese to victory.

So, Meldor has decided to revisit the NOW series, hmmm, well good luck. :goodjob: Not a signup, even if I could. With the level of play going on in this forum I'm a little surprised that you're not doing this on Sid. I have a hunch this variant is taylor made for it. :D

ChrTh said:
Wait a sec...demigod? Have I even played demigod yet? :eek:

Yes. :nono:;) MLDR04 was demigod, though in practice it played more easily.

Let's not play any of the civs already used in this series. That would eliminate the Egyptians, the Ottomans, the Austrians, and whatever civ was played in MLDR01. I'd like to rule out the Chinese, if that's all right, since I'm already playing them in two heavy-war games. With those exceptions, a random civ would be fine with me.

Phew, that's a relief! :D

Should I be concerned that the only thing I remember about playing SG's is Sirian's First Law?

All right, I get a good position on the second try, the first had neither horses nor iron and we were surronded by jungle. Although the Civ was Korea, it wasn't a good start. This one is much better and we are Russia. Although I don't care for the UU, at least it comes at a decent time.

The order of turns will be:
Microbe (up and playing) He gets to set the foundation.
RomeoTheMonk (On Deck)
ChrTh
Northern Pike
el_filet
Meldor

SW-W may be a better scout movement (will show more of the immediate territory of a western placement...although if settling south instead of west is a possibility, I guess SW-S makes more sense) ... I'm glad we got the later UU (hopefully our nearest couple neighbors aren't early UU)

el_filet said:
i'd send the scout SW-S and the worker NW first, but settling W seems to be the likely result.

I agree with most of that, although we have to be very careful with the scout, since this is NOW.

This start is so good that we should be alert to the possibility of eventually getting a settler and a warrior out of our capital every four turns. For this we need a third BG in addition to the two cows and two BG we can see now.

I had to reinstall the game on my PC, and I put on patch .22 ... what's the deal with the AI Patrol/Barbarian flag I've heard rumor about?

Top Bottom