Cartimandua of Brigantia : 3D animated, era specific leaderhead.

Brigantia
Aldborough
Catterick
Tadcaster
Burrow in Lonsdale
Castleshaw
Ilkley
Ribchester
Cleckheaton
Almondbury
Slack
Adel
Castleford
South shields
Thornton le street
Whitby
Stanwick
Ebchester
Ambleside
Watercrook
Hardknot
Troutbeck
Nether Denton
Well
Godmanchester
Boroughbridge
Richmond
Swaledale
Roecliffe
Thirkleby
Hovingham
Welburn
Cundall
Tateshall
Ripon
Burr by Sands
Maryport
Kirby Malzeard
Netherby
Copt Hewick

UU - looking at the information below, Saxon mercenaries guarded forts left by the Romans. I like the idea of a Saxon mercenary UU ;) .

Traits - Agricultural - maybe....
Commercial - wouldn't be my first choice, though possible
Expansionist - possibility: they covered a large area.
Industrious - perhaps not
Militaristic - possibility...
Religious - maybe. They were Celts and I believe they had ceremonies
Scientific - unlikely
Seafaring - unlikely

The above information is based on my limited knowledge of the Brigantes and is by no means a claim that I'm unfailingly correct ;) , but I'm leaning towards Expansionist and Religious.

Before the Roman invasion of the area around AD43, a confederation of Celtic tribes known as the Brigantes ruled Britain from the Humber to the Firth of Forth. According to Ptolemy, their territory spanned the island.

Tacitus recorded that When the Romans first arrived, they encountered a tribal federation under Cartimandua, sovereign queen of Brigantia, and Venutius, her warlord husband. Cartimandua agreed to an alliance with the Romans and her land prospered as a client state. In 51 AD Caratacus, leader of southern resistence to Roman rule, was captured and Cartimandua immediately turned him over to the Romans. This made Caratacus somewhat of a martyr among the anti-Roman forces while Tacitus praises Cartimandua as "having secured the most important component of Emperor Claudius' triumph." When Cartimandua divorced and remarried, Venutius, formerly loyal to the Romans, turned against them and gathered enough support among the Brigantes to cause a civil war among the federation. He almost won, but the Romans came to Cartimandua's aid at the last minute. However, she was forced into exile and around the year 69AD Venutius became king of Brigantia. His reign was short-lived because the Roman army finally vanquished him a few years later.

In AD71 the Romans set up a fortress at the confluence of the Rivers Ouse and Foss. This fort, known as Eboracum, held 6000 soldiers within its 50 acres. Around the fort grew a town that would become one of the leading cities of the Roman Empire. The Brigantian territory became the Roman province of Britannia Secunda.

After the Romans left Britain, Britannia Secunda reverted to tribal territories again, divided among the Parisi, Carvetii, and Brigantes. The dynasty of Coel Hen the Protector united the region and extended it beyond the boundaries of Roman rule to encompass Gododdin and some of Galloway. Through the fourth and fifth centuries, abandoned Roman forts were reclaimed by local tribes and sometimes guarded by Saxon mercenaries. By the Age of Arthur (5th-6th centuries) the Brigantians had built up strength, forming a kind of federation of alliances that once again made them a major power.

*This info will be converted to Civilopedia format later on once I've confirmed the traits and UU.

Thanks for the comments, guys :goodjob: !

I've now added a city list. Most of the names are modern-day names, but some are as they were. The city of Brigantia was sited where York now is.

Expansionist and Religious are the traits I'm thinking about and I like the idea of a Saxon Mercenary as the UU, although that would be a few hundred years after Cartimandua. My preference is to keep the UU contemporary with the leader.

I understand that Cartimandua declined Boudicca's request for help against the Romans in AD61 :eek: . Will Boudicca let that rest in Civ3 games I wonder :mischief: ?

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
She is BEAUTIFUL! My good god......

How the HELL did you get this good R8XFT?!?! Shes an entire level above the previous female leaders you have done, and thats really saying something..........................my good god...

I agree. Excellent. :goodjob:

Hello,

in Germany there is the word Briganten (plural of Brigant) in sense of bandit and street robber. As I looked up this comes from Italian Bandits 200 years ago that declare themselves as Brigants, but maybe the origin of this word is quite older and leads us to your new piece of art Cartimunda ?

Rod said:
Hello,

in Germany there is the word Briganten (plural of Brigant) in sense of bandit and street robber. As I looked up this comes from Italian Bandits 200 years ago that declare themselves as Brigants, but maybe the origin of this word is quite older and leads us to your new piece of art Cartimunda ?

The name of the tribe apparently comes from the Celtic goddess Brigantia. Perhaps her name and the Italian Bandits' name came from the same source.

Anothe outstanding leaderhead :goodjob: :goodjob:

Very pretty R8XFT. I like her, alot. She'll go in my personal mod as the leader of Britain.

R8XFT, your LHs are always way above the norm! :goodjob:
I have gotten into the habit of replacing the standard LHs with better versions found on the site, and she will definitly be replacing Elizabeth. :cool:

Outstanding work as always, R8XFT. You have a knack for creating excellent leaderheads that I didn't know I needed until you made them. I don't know yet where I shall use this lovely lady, but I like the direction you're going with what I like to call your "British Babes" series. Who could be next? Perhaps Lady Godiva of Mercia? :mischief:

Most beautious, as usual from R8XFT, and yet this time even more than usual. Weird as it may sound, I think I may use her for the leader of Vinland in my alternate history mod (that will never be finished :p ). To my eyes (maybe I need to adjust my monitor :p ) she looks like she has the right coloration and facial structure that she could theoretically pass for a similarly theoretical, ever-so-slightly Iroquois-mixed descendant of Scandanavians who immigrated to the New World some time after c. 1000 AD. :D

Well she is a looker but perhaps a little exotic for a leader of Britons (too tanned). Don't know why you chose her to be leader of the Britons though; Boudica would be a better choice. The Brigantes were major suck-ups to the Romans, in fact, it was Cartimandua who betrayed Caratacus to the Romans, thus depriving Celtic Britain of its most influential and steadfast resistance leader (the biatch). I think a UU for any Briton civ should be a chariot, definitely NOT a Saxon!! And if you were going to have a leader of the Celtic Britons it would have been best to stick to British tribal names (even though these were only recorded thanks to the Romans and are in Latin) eg.
Brigantia; Isurium; Belgae; Caledonii; Catuvellauni; Dumnonii; Iceni; Ordovices; Trinovantes; Urchurdan; Selgovae; Siluria; Atecotti; Cruithne
Despite my criticism I think this is a fantastic work of art, she is a beaut but I prefer the horned goddess you made with the red hair included in Plotinus' Rood scenario both as a leader of the Britons and as a looker but that's just my personal preference :) Good job anyways

KingArthur said:
Well she is a looker but perhaps a little exotic for a leader of Britons (too tanned). Don't know why you chose her to be leader of the Britons though; Boudica would be a better choice. The Brigantes were major suck-ups to the Romans, in fact, it was Cartimandua who betrayed Caratacus to the Romans, thus depriving Celtic Britain of its most influential and steadfast resistance leader (the biatch). I think a UU for any Briton civ should be a chariot, definitely NOT a Saxon!! And if you were going to have a leader of the Celtic Britons it would have been best to stick to British tribal names (even though these were only recorded thanks to the Romans and are in Latin) eg.
Brigantia; Isurium; Belgae; Caledonii; Catuvellauni; Dumnonii; Iceni; Ordovices; Trinovantes; Urchurdan; Selgovae; Siluria; Atecotti; Cruithne
Despite my criticism I think this is a fantastic work of art, she is a beaut but I prefer the horned goddess you made with the red hair included in Plotinus' Rood scenario both as a leader of the Britons and as a looker but that's just my personal preference :) Good job anyways

Cheers :beer: !!

I didn't choose her to be the leader of the Britons, purely the leader of the Brigantes, although if you're going to have one Celtic Briton leader in your mod, probably Boudicca would be more popular than Cartimandua. Like I said earlier in the thread, Boudicca may have a score to settle via Civ3 :mischief: .

I'm glad Cartimandua's been accepted, though a little disappointed that Goldflash has yet to ask her to marry him :p :joke: .

Good-looking and realistic. Especially like the Ancient snarl and the Modern smile.

Google/Jeeves/Wikipedia'd it: (I hope this isn't redundant info)

Briganti/Brigante seems to be a common Italian surname.

Finn and Hengest is a study by J.R.R Tolkien, published posthumously in book form in 1982.

Finn and Hengest are two Anglo-Saxon heroes appearing in the Old English epic poem Beowulf and in the fragment of The fight at Finnsburg. Hengest and Horsa (the names meaning "stallion" and "horse") were also two brothers, leaders (possibly mythical) of the first Anglo-Saxon immigrants to Britain as mercenaries in the 5th century.

Teutonic mercenaries were already in Britain from the late third century, and the first Saxon kingdoms were set up after AD 450. Major immigrations came during the next century. It was not until after 577, when British resistance in Gloucestershire was broken by Ceawlin, that the Midland shires were open to colonisation from the south. Thereafter a large group of West Saxons, who called themselves Hwicce, settled in Worcestershire and west Warwickshire, making their capital at Worcester. From primary settlements on clear terrace sites beside the Severn and Avon later generations of landless men, younger sons and newcomers, pushed up the steep slopes of the Plateau rim, using two crumbling Roman roads.

"Encyclopedia of the Celts" this website on Celt.net looked pretty informative of the Celts thru the ages. At least full of authentic-sounding names and words.
From there:

BRIGANTIA

Titular goddess of the Brigantes, of the West Riding in Yorkshire. A dedication and bas-relief at Birrens depicts her with the victorious attributes of Minerva and wearing the mural crown of Cybele, which shows how the Romans adopted her into their own mythos. Natively, she was a goddess of water and of pastoral activities. She may be equated with the Irish Brigit. ># 454 - 523

BRIGHID (BRIGIT, BRIGID, BRIDE)

# 562: Irish Goddess identical with Dana and Brigindo, &c; She is daughter of the god Dagda "The Good"; Ecne, grandson of Brigit. (pronouncing: Brigit g as in "get" and Bride (breed))

# 454: In her triple aspect she was patroness of poets, healers and smiths. Her son by Bres, Ruadan, was slain by Goibnui. For him she made the first keening that was ever heard in Ireland. She was subsumed in the cult and person of Saint Brigit of Kildare (450-523) who founded the first female religious community after Christianity had been established in Ireland. The sanctuary of the nunnery at Kildare had a perpetual fire, tended by the sisterhood, which was not extinguished until the Reformation. Saint Brigit is the secondary patron saint of Ireland. Within Scottish tradition Brigid (the saint and the goddess) is associated with the lambing season and the coming of spring, when she ousts the winter reign of the Cailleach Bheur. The saint is further known as the 'Mary of the Gael' and is credited with being the midwife to the Virgin. A folk-story tells how she played the fool by lighting a crown of candles and wearing it on her head to distract Herod's soldiers from the Holy Infant. Traces of Brigit can be discerned in Brigantia.

# 628: LADY OF BRIGHT INSPIRATION. BRIGHID, Gaelic goddess of smithcraft and metalwork, poetic inspiration and therapy. The ancient FILID or bards were under her direct inspiration, and in folk tradition she is said to have been the midwife and foster-mother of Jesus. Her primal function is that of fire and illumination; in Romano-Celtic temples she was frequently amalgamated with the goddess Minerva. It was she who first made the whistle for calling one to another through the night. And the one side of her face was ugly, but the other side was very comely. And the meaning of her name was Breosaighit, a fiery arrow.# 136 - 166 - 267 - 415 - 454 - 562-628 p 66

BRIGINDO

Equivalents, Brigit and "Brigantia". # 562

This also looked like a website: Roman-Britain.org Check "brigantes"

Tribe: Brigantes
Capital: ISVRIVM BRIGANTVM
Extent: Whole of N.E. England with exception of Humberside
Notes: Built small, fortified hill crofts, and few forts. Probably a federation of states. Vast earthworks at Stanwick in N. Yorks. was possibly a moot.

And more:

Principal Tribal Sites
The Civitas Capital
ISVRIVM BRIGANTVM (Aldborough, North Yorkshire)
The nine poleis attributed to the Brigantes by Ptolemy

1. EPIACVM (Whitley Castle, Northumberland)
2. VINOVIA / VINNOVIVM? (Binchester, Durham)
3. CATARACTONIVM (Catterick, North Yorkshire)
4. CALACVM? (Burrow in Lonsdale, Lancashire) [Overborough?]
5. ISVRIVM BRIGANTVM (Aldborough, North Yorkshire)
6. RIGODVNVM? (Castleshaw, Greater Manchester) [Ingleborough?]
7. OLENACVM? / OLICANA? (Elslack, North Yorkshire) [Ilkley?]
8. EBVRACVM (York, North Yorkshire)
9. CAMBODVNVM? (Slack, West Yorkshire)

Other Tribal Settlements

BREMETENACVM VETERANORVM (Ribchester, Lancashire) - A number of Sarmatian veterans were settled here, probably by Antoninus Pius following a Brigantian revolt mentioned by Pausanias.

CALCARIA (Tadcaster, North Yorkshire) - Assigned to the Brigantes in the Itinerary and the Cosmography.

CAMBODVNVM? (Cleckheaton?, nr. Dewsbury) - South-west of Tadcaster, along the road to Slack and Manchester. Mentioned in the Antonine Itinerary. Roman name transferred from the Brigantian hillfort at Castle Hill, Almondbury, near Huddersfield

LVGVVALIVM (Carlisle, Cumbria) - Town; now thought to be the civitas capital of the Carvetii tribe.

CORIOSOPITVM (Corbridge, Northumberland) - Major settlement; possibly the centre of another administrative pagus, perhaps of the Lopocares.

Adel, nr. Leeds (West Yorkshire) - Small civil settlement.

Thornton le Street (North Yorkshire) - Posting station.

Whitby (North Yorkshire) - Sea-Jet for votive carvings and personal ornaments was collected from the beach here. No settlement has been identified.

Well (North Yorkshire) - An interesting villa, whose bath-house may have become a local shrine.

Stanwick (North Yorkshire) - This is the only known lowland site akin to the oppida of southern England.
Shrines to the deity Brigantia

* ARBEIA (South Shields, Tyne & Wear)
* BANNA? (Castlesteads, Cumbria)
* BLATOBVLGIVM (Birrens, Dumfries & Galloway)

The Tribal Name

According to Lempriere, the word Briga or Brica was used by the ancient inhabitants of Gaul and Germany simply to signify a town or settlement. Although this could be the root of the tribal name, the Briga- prefix in this instance probably refers to the Celtic goddess Brigit. This deity is often associated with the Roman Minerva, Greek Athene, and probably the Irish Morrigan, all fertility-curative-knowledge deities. She was perhaps also known by the name Brigantia.

The name Brigantes, then, should be translated 'The People of Brigit'.

There are several Briga- prefixed names scattered throughout Europe:

* Brigantes Major tribe of Northern Britain. Tribal capital Isurium Brigantum. (22CDb)
* Brigantii People of Central Raetia whose tribal capital named Brigantium was situated on the south-east shore of the Brigantinus Lacus. Another of their major towns was Cambodunum. (23HJd)
o Brigantinus Lacus A lake in Raetia in the Alps, now known as Lake Constance, through which the River Rhine flows. (23Hd)
o Brigantium Raetiae Tribal capital of the Brigantii situated on the eastern shores of Brigantinus Lacus in Central Raetia. Now known as Bregentz on Lake Constance in the Austrian Tyrol. (23Hd)
* Brigantio Roman settlement in the Cottian Alps. (23Ge)
* Brigantium Hispaniae also known as Brigantinus Portus, was the ancient name of the seaport of Corunna in north-western Spain. A major settlement of the northern Gallaeci tribe, was situated in the conventus Lucensis, part of the province of Gallia Tarraconensis. This seaport was the western terminus of a major trade route in tin, gold, lead and silver. (25aBa, 30aDe)

The codes within brackets refer to the maps and grid-references in Atlas of the Greek and Roman World in Antiquity by Nicholas G.L. Hammond.
Brigantian History from the Classics
A revolt in Brigantia is quelled by Ostorius Scapula AD47

After devastating the lands of the Deceangi in north-east Wales, Scapula prepared to assault the island of Mona, or Anglesea, off the north-west coast of Wales.
"... Ostorius was within measurable distance of the sea which looks towards the island of Hibernia¹, when an outbreak of sedition among the Brigantes recalled a leader who was firm in his resolution to attempt new conquests only when he had secured the old. The Brigantian rising ... subsided on the execution of a handful of men, who were beginning hostilities, and the pardon of the rest; ..." (Tacitus Annales xii.32)

1. Ireland.

Following this internecine struggle among the Brigantes, the clientship of Rome was conferred upon Queen Cartimandua, who, along with her consort Venutius, were to rule the Brigantes for the next few years in comparative quiet.
Cartimandua surrenders Caratacus to Ostorius AD51

A test of Cartimandua's loyalty to emperor Claudius in Rome came after the crushing defeat of the British warlord Caratacus in mid-Wales by the Roman legate Ostorius Scapula.
"Caratacus himself ... after seeking the protection of the Brigantian queen Cartimandua, was arrested and handed to the victors, in the ninth year from the opening of the war in Britain. ..." (Tacitus Annales xii.36)

Caratacus was led in triumph by Claudius through the streets of Rome some time in the autumn of AD51, and the ornaments of a triumphant general were conferred upon Ostorius, without him actually celebrating a triumph himself, which honours were reserved exclusively for the imperial house.
The Uprising of Venutius is Quelled by Didius Gallus c.AD55/56

Following the betrayal of Caratacus, all was not well in Brigantia, and dissentions were being voiced, particularly it would seem, from Venutius, the prince-consort of Cartimandua. Though unproven, it is thought that Venutius hailed from the Carvetii, an influential sub-tribe of the Brigantian Federation who inhabited the area in and around the modern county of Cumbria in north-west England, including parts of Durham and south-west Scotland; it is very likely that the lost part of Tacitus' Annals would have confirmed this assumption (see footnote below).
"... Since the capture of Caratacus, however, the Briton with the best knowledge of the art of war was Venutius, whose Brigantian extraction has been mentioned earlier.¹ He had long been loyal, and had recieved the protection of Roman arms during his married life with Queen Cartimandua: then had come a divorce, followed by immediate war, and he had extended his hostility to ourselves. At first, however, the struggle was confined to the pair; and Cartimandua adroitly entrapped the brother and family connections of Venutius. Incensed at her act, and smarting at the ignominious prospect of submitting to the sway of a woman, the enemy - a powerful body of young and picked warriors - invaded her kingdom. That event had been forseen by us, and the cohorts sent to the rescue fought a sharp engagement, with dubious results at the outset but a more cheerful conclusion. ..." (Tacitus Annales xii.40)

1. The previous reference in the Annals is now lost.

Following his domestic dispute and subsequent escapade with the Roman military, Venutius could not remain at the court of Cartimandua and would have been forced to retire to his own lands in the north. This is not documented in any of the classics, but seems to be the only logical conclusion. The Roman intervention led by Gallus was to see peace amongst the Brigantes for the next decade or so.
The Revolt of Venutius AD69/70

It is obvious that relations between the royal couple were to deteriorate significantly in the intervening years, for the ageing queen had a scandalous affair which rocked the Brigantian court, and eventually led to the Roman governor Vettius Bolanus being replaced by a more forceful general.
"Inspired by these differences between the Roman forces and by the many rumours of civil war that reached them, the Britons plucked up courage under the leadership of Venutius, who, in addition to his natural spirit and hatred of the Roman name, was fired by his personal resentment toward Queen Cartimandua. She was ruler over the Brigantes, having the influence that belongs to high birth, and she had later strengthened her power when she was credited with having captured King Caratacus by treachery and so furnished an adornment for the triumph of Claudius Caesar. From this came her wealth and the wanton spirit which success breeds. She grew to despise her husband Venutius, and took as her consort his squire Vellocatus, whom she admitted to share the throne with her. Her house was at once shaken by this scandalous act. Her husband was favoured by the sentiments of all the citizens; the adulterer was supported by the queen's passion for him and by her savage spirit. So Venutius, calling in aid from outside and at the same time assisted by a revolt of the Brigantes themselves, put Cartimandua in an extremely dangerous position. Then she asked the Romans for protection, and in fact some companies of our foot and horse, after meeting with indifferent success in a number of engagements, finally succeeded in rescuing the queen from danger. The throne was left to Venutius; the war to us." (Tacitus Historia iii.45)
Partly Annexed by Petilius Cerialis AD71-74

Since the legitimate monarch of the Brigantes, a client of Rome, had been forcibly removed from her throne, Brigantia for the first time was to feel the full wrath of the Roman military machine. Petillius Cerialis, recently victorious against the renegade Julius Civilis in Lower Germany, was sent to Britain with a new legion, the Second Adiutrix, and immediately launched a campaign against the northern tribe.
"When Britain with the rest of the world was recovered by Vespasian, ... Petillius Cerialis at once struck terror into their hearts by invading the commonwealth of the Brigantes, which is said to be the most numerous tribe of the whole province: many battles were fought, sometimes bloody battles, and by permanent conquest or by forays he annexed a large portion of the Brigantes." (Tacitus Agricola xvii.1)

The following governor, Sextus Julius Frontinus, focussed all his attention on reducing the Silures tribe of south Wales, the Brigantes were for the moment, given respite from attack by Rome.
Conquered by Agricola during his Second Campign Season AD79

The Silures were reduced by the campaigns of Frontinus, but the following governor, Gnaeus Julius Agricola, after finally conquering the supposed stronghold of the druids on the Isle of Mona (Anglesey), turned the focus of Rome once more upon the Brigantes.
"When summer came he gathered his army and was present everywhere on the march, commending discipline, curbing stragglers: he chose himself the camping-ground: he was the first himself to explore estuaries and forests: meanwhile he gave the enemy no peace from the devastations of sudden raids: ..." (Tacitus Agricola xx.2)

The estuaries mentioned were those on the north-west coast of England, above North Wales; Mersey, Ribble, Lune, Kent, Deddon, Esk and Solway. Perhaps also the estuary of the Tees on the east coast.
"By these means many states which up to that time had been independent were induced to give hostages and abandon their hostility: ..." (Tacitus Agricola xx.3)

The next chapter places Agricola the following year [AD80] at the Estuary of the Tay in southern Scotland, it would seem therefore, that the 'many states' mentioned were those of the Brigantes, including the Carvetii, Venutius' own tribe, who formed the north-western part of the Brigantes federation.
Other Classical References
"..." (Juvenal, xiv.196) "..." (Pausanias, viii.43)
An Error in Agricola?
"A woman could lead the Brigantes to burn a colony, to storm a camp; ..." (Tacitus Agricola xxxi.4)

The Brigantes took no part in the rising of the Iceni under Boudicca in the winter of AD60/61, and the only documented queen of the Brigantes, Cartimandua, was a client of Rome and would not have been involved in the destruction of a Roman Colonia such as happened to Camulodunum (Colchester). It is thought that the original manuscript of Tacitus here contained the word Trinobantes, and that the error was later introduced by some unknown copyist.
The Brigantian Nobility
Cartimandua One of only two British women to be mentioned in the ancient sources, namely the Annals of Tacitus, the other being Boudicca, mentioned by Dio. She was the leading noble of the Brigantian federation who was probably granted a clientship with Rome in AD43, along with her consort Venutius of the Carvetii. During the spring of AD48, political pressure from certain rebels within the Brigantian nobility forced Ostorius Scapula to abandon his campaign against the Ordovices in north Wales, and turn his attention to the Brigantes (Tacitus Annals XII, 32). In AD51 Cartimandua tricked and captured the Catuvellaunian warlord Caratacus, then honoured her agreement with Rome by surrendering him to Scapula, who was still governor (Tacitus Annals XII, 36). This action seems to have stirred up some resentment towards the rule of Cartimandua within the Brigantian nobility, which for a period, lurked beneath the surface of the seemingly calm tribal pool. In circa AD53, however, Venutius divorced Cartimandua and formed a faction of his own amongst his Carvetian tribespeople, attacking Cartimandua's power-base and causing the new Roman governor, Aulus Didius Gallus to send a number of auxiliary cohorts to her aid (Tacitus Annals XII, 40). Cartimandua continued to rule the Brigantes for a number of years with her own armour-bearer, Vellocatus, as her consort. However, the seeds of discontent were still germinating in the ranks of the Brigantian ruling houses for another rebellion occurred during the governorship of Marcus Vettius Bolanus around AD70. During this uprising, Cartimandua had to be rescued by an ala of Roman auxiliary cavalry sent specifically for this purpose by the governor who was occupied against the Silures in south Wales. This continuing Brigantian unrest caused the emperor Vespasian to annul the clientship of the Brigantes and for the first time, they came under the direct rule of Rome.
Vellocatus The shield-bearer of Cartimandua, who became her lover after her consort Venutius divorced her, some time around AD55. He lived possibly until after c.AD70 when another Brigantian revolution forced Cartimandua to seek the protection of the Roman governor, leading to the dissolution of the clientship and the advent of direct rule by Rome.

For further information on Venutius see the Carvetii tribal page.
GoTop

Top Bottom