Balloon (Feb 12, 2005; my first unit)

Rhye

's and Fall creator
This unit is not new, as it was made during last September and was included in Rhye's of Civilization Expansion Pack (so it's available since December).

But I thought that making it available to everyone is nicer.

So here it is, don't expect anything particular as it is my first (and last) unit, made with 2D copy and paste

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/Balloon.zip

Attachments

• bal.jpg
    bal.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,844
Nice unit

I recently had the opportunity to go up in a mate's balloon and as we were peacefully floating over the countryside scaring the odd cow and kangaroo with the noise of the burners, I thought that during the Napolionic War era ??? balloons would have been an extremely useful intel gathering tool.

Anyone know if they were used in warfare?

BTW I hope that this is the correct place for this posting :)

I thought earlier ... oh well ... thanks :)

OT - The Balloon pilot :confused: was telling me some balloon trivia

Star Trek TNG captain Jean Luc Picard - the name comes from a family of adventurers - each generation set a record - one set world record for deepest dive in a bathoscope, another set some other speed, duration type of record and the third went up in a balloon into near space and jumped out in a spacesuit and parachute, his record was highest jump. :crazyeye:

Balloons were indeed used by the French army during the revolution (so even before the Napoleonic era per se) as man other new tools (telegraph,...).

They were no so widespread but they were an army of young officers ready to try new stuff and use engineers as important assets.

Nevertheless I have never heard of them allowing victory during any specific battle.

I really like this unit - unusual. Would make a good industrial-era explorer unit. :scan:

Top Bottom