Constitution Poll - Nominations, Debates and Elections

Constitution Poll - Nominations, Debates and Elections Post a Poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
OFFICIAL DISCUSSION: Nominations, Debates and Elections

This is an official poll to determine what points we will take into the final ruleset for this option. This will be a multiple choice poll, so choose carefully! This poll will be open for 4 days.

Standard Election Cycle (noms 7 days before the end of the month, debates 5 days, and elections 3 days).

1 office per player, but leave Governorships and Mayors optional, unless these are contested.

Strict 1 office per player.

2 nominations per player (player can hold multiple offices).

2 nominations per player (player can hold one office per branch).

2 nominations per player (player must choose 1 if the player wins both offices).

1 debate thread per branch.

1 debate thread per office.

Debates continue through the elections.

Debates end when elections begin.

nominees win elections by simple majority of votes.

nominees win elections by getting 50% of the total vote.

Remember that there will be a final poll on the structure of this amendment.

this would depend on if alternate government wins... looks like we will have an awesome government!!!

Public polling on the constitution? That's as bad as public election polling...

My "Other" vote is I prefer debates in the nominations/election threads and there is no option for this. I think one thread per branch would just make it all too jumbled, and separate threads just create too many threads to look in. I'd rather see the debates where I'm actually voting.

Furiey said:
My "Other" vote is I prefer debates in the nominations/election threads and there is no option for this. I think one thread per branch would just make it all too jumbled, and separate threads just create too many threads to look in. I'd rather see the debates where I'm actually voting.

Thank you, Furiey. That's the reason for my Other vote as well. Nominations and Debates can happen simultaneously in the Noms thread -- perhaps we should change the name to the Campaign Thread?

And to clarify, my vote for "Debate ends when election begins" means that any meaningful debate should then be carried out in the election thread once it opens, not that it should be stifled at that point. So I agree that there should be debate allowed throughout the entire electoral process.

:rolleyes: Option 2 is useless! When have mayors ever been elected? How can you place them in the same catagory as a Governor? Option 2 nullifies or just plain ruins Options 3, 4, 5, and 6. What you want to say is that a person can be a Governor and hold any other Office too? That's absurd. Definitely a conflict of interest. But you had to include Mayors with that to really screw it up. :rolleyes:

You know, if we're going to have 1 debate per nomination, then we'll need to have a debate thread forum (or use the RPG or citizens forum) for it. Once we start getting a lot of nomination threads (atleast 10 from the start), that'll be the same amount of threads for debates, pushing perhaps empty nominations onto page #2. I doubt Thunderfall would create another sub-forum just for the elections.

I think the citizen thread would be the best place for the debates if we're doing a debate for every position. Most of the time, there's only 3-5 discussions going on at once out of maybe 50 threads in the forum. Adding 10-20 threads there won't kill off any discussions.

Chieftess said:
You know, if we're going to have 1 debate per nomination, then we'll need to have a debate thread forum (or use the RPG or citizens forum) for it. Once we start getting a lot of nomination threads (atleast 10 from the start), that'll be the same amount of threads for debates, pushing perhaps empty nominations onto page #2. I doubt Thunderfall would create another sub-forum just for the elections.

I think the citizen thread would be the best place for the debates if we're doing a debate for every position. Most of the time, there's only 3-5 discussions going on at once out of maybe 50 threads in the forum. Adding 10-20 threads there won't kill off any discussions.

Did you read the other comments here, CT? There is a third option for debate which is preferable to the two listed here. And that is to let the debate unfold in the each individual Nomination thread.

1. It negates the Main Forum clutter that has you worried.
2. Debates that take place in the Citizens Forum usually much lower participation. Not to mention that hosting debates there will overwhelm current policy discussions. Plus, each part of the electoral process should be confined to the same place --- the Main Forum.
3. Sorry, but the one-branch debate thread stifles discussion due to having so much going on at once.

I think that we should re-poll the debates part of this poll only, with this new option included. It's really the most efficient and economic way to hold the debates.

Keep it traditional

• I don't like a separate time period for debates, run them concurrently with nominations.
  • Debate in the nomination thread
  • Allow judiciary to hold another office, and require them to recuse themselves on matters touching their other office. Have a pro-tem justice, though this is necessary only when the other two justices disagree on the item.

Again, trying to use one poll to decide multiple issues is a bad idea. This should have been split into multiple polls, and allow each issue to be resolved in a clear manner.

This is just someone not taking the time to create the seperate polls.

-- Ravensfire

Agreed.

Nonetheless, I've participated in this horrible mess of a poll and would like to register a vote for "1 nomination per person" under the aegis of the "other" option.

classical_hero said:
I would also like to see abstain removed from election polls.

Why do you want it removed? What if you don't like either candidate and would like to make a protest vote? What if you like both candidates and don't care which one wins and still want to vote?

classical_hero said:
I would also like to see abstain removed from election polls.
abstain is a vital part to our elections... for a few reasons, one of which moth stated the other is the census. If you cant decide who to vote for and just dont vote then our census will be low and constitution amendments(and mayb CoL amendments)can be passed easier

Black_Hole said:
abstain is a vital part to our elections... for a few reasons, one of which moth stated the other is the census. If you cant decide who to vote for and just dont vote then our census will be low and constitution amendments(and mayb CoL amendments)can be passed easier
This is just another example of why Black_Hole should be in the Judiciary. :thumbsup:

I think this poll needs a redo, especially since I voted for options AND abstain, mainly because I wanted to get my voice out and still protest this poll.

blackheart said:
I think this poll needs a redo, especially since I voted for options AND abstain, mainly because I wanted to get my voice out and still protest this poll.
i did the same thing, plus voted other ;)
well i do believe we need to redo this poll, however it looks like either the moderators will move/remove the deadline or we wont have a constitution for the first few weeks of our 1st term(again...), now why wasnt this an option in the polls for why people left?

blackheart said:

Voted for same options, for the same reasons.

-- Ravensfire

Top Bottom