VD: Vanilla Demigod

floydmcw

Prince
I'm trying to make the jump to Demigod (I win all the time on Emperor and have won twice on DG). This is my first SG.

I want to play with a medium-strength civ on a standardish map (medium size, age, and climate). Continents or pangea okay.

Interesting choice of acronym there. I'll follow, but I can't join at this point.

I meant a "vanilla" start as in 70% land, moderately wet, medium temp, average world age, no special victory conditions or restrictions.

I'd like to give it a try. Anyone elase?

I am doubtful I can make the time committment to play this SG (because of my work I am almost exclusively a weekend player, and already in one SG). But I will DEFINITELY lurk. I'm only adequate on Emperor so far, but refuse to let myself plateau there!! Hope you guys get some high-level players willing to give detailed critique.

I'd like to sign up for this one. I have 2 SP wins and 1 SG win on Demigod. Continents are my favorite. Everything normal and any civ will be fine with me.

:bump: Just kick-starting this as floydmcw hasn't posted anything.

Roster
floydmcw
Gato Loco
Ginger_Ale
TimBentley
Open

Any choices on the civ? Perhaps something not overpowered or underpowered like the Romans, Koreans, Germans (haven't seen them in a SG lately). I'd go for the Germans -> if we can get some land and cheap libraries up quickly, we could end up self-researching quite well.

We can choose the civ and then we'll roll some starts, ok?

I'd vote for Rome, since I've never gotten around to playing them. Plus I'm dying to be on the right side of those legions for a change.

I was waiting for email notification that this thread had been updated. Glad I decided to post a message.

I vote for Rome over Germany, but I don't have a real strong preference. Ginger, what do you prefer?

Will need to upgrade my Conquests version -- think I'm still running 1.15. Is 1.22 still the latest version?

v1.22 is the latest version, yes. I don't mind Rome either, I haven't played them in a while. Anybody want to generate some starts with screenshots so we can decide on one, or should we just go with the first start? I'm for the first start, as long as it's not desert/tundra.

Let's talk early game strategy while we get ready to go.

1. Granary or Settler?

I usually build a granary first (assuming I can get Pottery), but have been told that is not best on higher levels. I am now inclined to start a settler first. What do you think?

2. Goody Huts?

We may want to ignore them so as not to stress our tiny forces. If I get the first 20 turns, as the roster implies, I will build 2 or 3 warriors, then go for settler or granary (see #1). Am I too cautious?

3. Research?

I think we should research neglected techs -- Wheel, HBR, Lit -- rather than minimum science and trying to buy them.

Hi, lurker here....setting too much preliminary strategy without seeing your start position sounds like it could be a bad idea. Settler vs Granary very much depends on your terrain -- there's a discussion by SirPleb somewhere I think giving details, but essentially if your 2nd settler will have a high-growth site to settle, it's usually good to go settler then granary, otherwise it's often granary first. Avoiding huts when you aren't expansionist on Demi certainly seems a reasonable call. Research -- your strategy could be influenced by who your opponents are, what they will start with, how many are scientific.

1. I like a couple warriors (2 or 3, depending on our land: if it's a peninsula with not too much land, 2 will suffice), and then a settler. Quick 2nd cities really help. It can produce the workers and warriors for MP we need. Then we can build a granary either after the settler or even more units, depending on if we need them or not. Of course, if we start with lots of food around us, a granary could help early.

2. I leave goody huts alone, unless I'm far from my cities or near another civilization's units so they can kill the barbarians. (2 or 3 warriors and then a settler is good).

3. Research plan sounds good. Currency, CoL and Literature are three good techs that the AI doesn't value a whole lot.

peacemonger is right though, thanks for chiming in. It depends on the start. I'll get 3 starts up if you don't get any floydmcw within a couple hours.

Everything normal, 70% continents, Normal/Temperate/4 billions years old, Standard Sized map, Sedentary Barbarians.

Blue arrow = floodplain wheat. Red arrow = a luxury, possibly furs or dyes.

Not a bad start. 2 BGs (we are on one) and a game.

I don't like this one due to no fresh water.

My preferred order: 2, 1, 3.

I'll upload the save of the one we choose for the starter to start off when we decide on a start.

Top Bottom