AG15 - I dream of Dromons again - deity variant

Aggie

Deity
I like to try the theme of my first SG again (AG1 - I dream of dromons (deity)).

That game ended in the modern age and was big fun. However, the intention of the game was to win it before Magnetism. So I want to play this again with that goal in mind.

VARIANT RULES:
- We must build a massive fleet of naval units (starting with curraghs).
- We must get the Great Lighthouse. If we don't succeed in building it ourselves, we have to declare war on the civ that has it and capture it ASAP. But we are NOT allowed to break ongoing deals with a civ to achieve this.
- We have to go for Map Making (Writing is our first tech to research). A Philosophy detour is allowed, but then the free tech must be Map Making (if we don't have it by then via trade and can't get it in the turn we get Philo).
- We must constantly be in a genuine war (real fighting) with at least one civ in the Dromon era. So as soon as we have one Dromon we have to declare war on someone and stay at war with at least one civ until the end of the game. We may make peace with one civ, but have to declare war on another civ the same turn, unless we are already at war with more than one at that point (EDIT: I added the comment that this is meant for the Dromon era).
- We must use the bombardment-ability of our Dromon units while attacking coastal cities. The naval Dromons have to redline the forces inside a city before our ground forces are allowed to attack. The top defender must be redlined.
- We may not upgrade our Dromons.
- Our goal is Domination or Conquest.
- We are not allowed to learn the tech Magnetism.

SETTINGS:
-Deity
-Standard sized archipelago map, 80% water
-We start on our own island
-No barbarians (they were a terrible pain in the previous game)

BANNED TACTICS
These tactics are banned in my SG's. I got my inspiration from RBCiv, with a few slight differences:

"Phony Peace Treaty": Making Peace Treaties without having the intention to stay at peace, just to get cheap techs, cities or money.

"Palace Jump"; Jumping the palace by disbanding the capital. Rushing a palace or building it brick by brick is OK.

"Mass troop jumping": When you give away a city to another tribe, all the troops from that city are transported to your capital. This can be exploited. Especialy in scenarios where you need to take an important city (for example a possible 20K city) and after that want to get your troops home safely. It is OK to give away a city with up to two defenders in it.

"RoP Rape": Using Right of Passage to move whole armies into attack position.

"Throwaway Cities": It is possible to go everywhere by settling, moving a setter one tile further in, abandoning the old city, founding a new one, etc...etc... A city shouldn't be abandoned in the same turn as it is settled.

"Resource Piracy": Sitting on resources or deny a civ access to a tile inside the borders of the rival while at peace.

"Seed Corn": It is not allowed to buy the LAST TWO workers from the AI before 1000 BC.

"Negative cash research": The penalty of negative cash is only one unit. So there are cases where this can be worthwile. Science spending must be lowered when the cash would go below zero.

"Great Library slingshot": When you capture the Great Library city before you have Education and keep it one turn, you will get ALL the technologies known by at least two other tribes. You can get from the Middle Ages into the Modern Age with this tactic. The Great Library slingshot is not a valid tactic in my SG's. You are allowed to capture the Great Library city as one of a number of cities to weaken the owner. But it can't be a campaign to capture this city alone, hold it for a turn and then abandon it. THIS IS A BIGGIE IN THIS GAME!

Other tactics:
Things that I didn't name but are in the spirit of what I mention above I would like to have discussed.

PLAYERS
-Aggie
-CarlosMM
-Gaythaar
-grs
-bed_head7
-6thgentexan

24hrs to post a "got it" notice, and up to 48hrs after that to finish and post your turns. I will start with 25 turns. Next up can take 15/20 turns, and the next leader 10/15, then 10 each turn after that.

Anyone interested? I'm thinking about playing this one with a team of 6.

SETTINGS:
-Deity

The game is lost when we fail to win before the Industrial Age.
You always said you like insane variants. A deity win by the end of the Middle Ages? To crazy for my taste.

Is this the AI enteres the IA, or YOU enter the IA.

lurker's comment:
My schedule is too busy to play this, otherwise I would have. The previous game was fun.

I think a better way to state "you lose if you enter the IA" would be "You cannot research the final tech that puts you into the IA. I think the two are equivalent, since you don't want to lose you would turn research off at that point anyway.

Other possibilities might include:
You cannot research Magnetism (if you want to disallow frigates).
You cannot research Theory of Gravity (if you want to allow frigates).
You cannot research any IA tech (allows you to get that last tech to go IA and gives a free IA tech (IIRC, Byz is scientific?), but you can go no further and have to survive with what you have.

Have you considered trying it at demigod first to see how it goes and if it goes well, then go to deity? Straight to deity sounds hard.

Aggie said:
Thanks Lee, I changed it. We have to win before we enter the GA.
Then how are you going to use yorur dromons? :crazyeye:

Greebley said:
lurker's comment:
My schedule is too busy to play this, otherwise I would have. The previous game was fun.

I think a better way to state "you lose if you enter the IA" would be "You cannot research the final tech that puts you into the IA. I think the two are equivalent, since you don't want to lose you would turn research off at that point anyway.

Other possibilities might include:
You cannot research Magnetism (if you want to disallow frigates).
You cannot research Theory of Gravity (if you want to allow frigates).
You cannot research any IA tech (allows you to get that last tech to go IA and gives a free IA tech (IIRC, Byz is scientific?), but you can go no further and have to survive with what you have.

Have you considered trying it at demigod first to see how it goes and if it goes well, then go to deity? Straight to deity sounds hard.

Those are great suggestions. I will see what I will do with them.

I like to try on deity. If we fail, too bad. But I have a feeling that we can win this. Otoh if the team wants to go for demigod first, I will not hesitate to change it.

I would like to play. I will be missing a few days coming up, though (2/28-3/4).

Edit: Lethal bombardment by dromons will also cause a golden age. I don't know if microbe was discounting that when he said just bombard.

The start:

We have a river and wheat. I settle on the spot. We are close to the north pole. I start a curragh and go min science (10%) towards Writing.

Turn 1-5 (3950-3750 BC) I start irrigating/roading the wheat.

Turn 6 (3700 BC) Constantinople is size 2, lux to 10%.

Turn 7-9 (3650-3550BC) :sleep:

IT: curragh->curragh. Borders expand.

Turn 10 (3500 BC) Curragh goes SE.

Turn 11 (3450 BC) Constantinople is size 3, lux to 30%.

Turn 12-14 (3400-3300 BC) Curragh goes east, then north and doesn't find a route away from our island yet.

IT: curragh->warrior.

Turn 15 (3250 BC) 2nd curragh goes south.

Turn 16 (3200 BC) Constantinople is size 4, lux tax to 40%.

IT: warrior->settler.

Turn 17 (3150 BC) Warrior goes west.

Turn 18 (3100 BC) Warrior climbs a mountain. WOW!! We have nice lands to the west!

Turn 19 (3050 BC) Lux tax can get back to 30%.

Turn 20 (3000 BC) Curraghs meet each other in the west. We see green borders.

IT: We play vs the Zulu, Maya, Persians, Inca, Celts, Americans, Arabs.

Turn 21 (2950 BC) Warrior is back in Constantinople, which just grew to size 5 and now doesn't need more lux tax.

We meet the Celts, who have CB and Pottery. We have Alphabet over them. I decide not to trade yet. We might meet more tribes.

Turn 22 (2900 BC) The curragh again go their seperate ways. We see purple borders with our soutern curragh.

Turn 23 (2850 BC) We meet the Inca. They have Masonry, Pottery, CB and WC. Celts now have Pottery, CB and WC.

I buy Masonry from the Inca for Alphabet and 35 gold.
I buy Pottery, WC and CB from the Celts for Masonry, Alphabet and 54 gold.

IT: settler->granary(?)

Turn 24 (2800 BC) Settler goes west to a spot with 3 wheat. Lux to 10%.

Turn 25 (2750 BC) Settler is on the spot to settle. At least that's my choice.

Our island:

A curragh:

2750 BC save

I changed the rule 'We have to win before we enter the IA' into 'We are not allowed to learn the tech Magnetism'. This means the same thing. Our technological development stops at the end of the Middle Ages.

To be perfectly clear: I mixed up GA with IA a few posts ago and Tomoyo commented on it. I corrected that error in that post. We are allowed to use dromons anyway we want!

Pre: --
IBT: --
2710BC: Adrianople founded - warrior. Lux to 20%
2670BC: Contact the Arabs. They miss Alphabet - no trade.
2630BC: --
2590BC: --
2550BC: Chop forest for granary in Constantinople. Arabs and Inca now know Mysticism - no trade.
IBT: Adrianople warrior - worker.
2510BC: Lux to 30%.
2470BC: --
2430BC: Contact Persia. They know The Wheel and miss Alphabet, Ceremonial Burial and Pottery. We will check if Xerxes has any neighbours before trading.
IBT: Constantinople granary - settler.
2390BC: --
2350BC: --
IBT: The Celts attack Machu Pichu and take it after 6 battles (4 Celtic and 2 Incan losses). Go Brennus Go!
2310BC: --
2270BC: --
2230BC: --
IBT: Constantinople settler - settler
2190BC: --
2150BC: --
IBT: Adrianople warrior - worker. Arabs complete The Colossus.
2110BC: Xerxes is alone on his isle. Sell him Alphabet and Ceremonial Burial for The Wheel + 10g. We have 2 horses. Sell The Wheel for Mysticism and 84g to Brennus. Sell Mysticism and Pottery for Horseback Riding to Xerxes. The Inca have Iron Working, but won't trade it for The Wheel yet - we will have to watch this deal.
2070BC: --
IBT: Constantinople settler - settler
2030BC: Caesarea founded - worker. Lux down to 10%.
1990BC: --
1950BC: Lux to 20%. Caesarea is switched to The Pyramids to direct the forest chop to Adrianople for a granary. I would switch Caesarea back to worker after the chop.

Our core:

Dotmap (excluding some tundra cities to grab the game and with prio on coastal towns - we are seafaring afterall):

Is this a joke of the mapgenerator?

Attachments

• AG15-1950BC.zip
    63.2 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom