New unit: Dwarf Archer (Feb 22nd, 2005)

aaglo

Furioso!
Hi all!

Here's a fantasy unit requested for LotM (lord of the mod(s)?) - a dwarf archer. They do exist in middle earth - at least in "the Hobbit". Enjoy :)

Here are the files:
Dwarf archer ~495 kb

attached are some previews of the animations and civilopedia.

Attachments

• DwarfArcherDemo.gif
    DwarfArcherDemo.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,566
  • DwarfArcherLarge.gif
    DwarfArcherLarge.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 907
Excellent. The firing anim seems somehow really fluid and not just for a pov-ray unit.

Cool :D

Leapin Lizards!!! That's Cool! :D

The archer looks great, aaglo. I love your dwarven units!

The animation on this is superb. You do an excellent job at bringing life to your units. They're not just stiff moving skeletons, but rather very natural moving and believable. Great work. :)

Outstanding:)!
Thank you very much Aaglo!

It's all been said, but meh. Great job, that attack animation is EXTREMELY good. Perfect motion, this dwarf almost looks like he's as a good as an elf at archery!

:goodjob:

Beautiful! :) In green civ color he looks just like GW's LOTR dwarven archers...

mrtn said:
He look good in red too, which is good, as that's the LOTM dwarven archers... ;)
Someone's been tipping the happy juice ;). I barely could comprehend that, I doubt someone outside of the MOD could! :p

But I didn't just post to poke fun at you. I thought I'd explain the Dwarven Archer a bit, by using a direct quote from The Hobbit:

Thorin was the only one who had kept his feet and his wits. As soon as they had landed he had bent his bow and fitted and arrow in case any hidden guardian of the boat appeared. Now he sent a swift and sure shot into the leaping beast. As it reached the further bank it stumbled. The shadows swallowed it up, but they heard the sounds of hooves quickly falter and go still.

Before they could shout in praise of the shot, however, a dreadful wail from Bilbo put all thoughts of venison out of their minds.

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Thorin is a Dwarf, Bilbo is a Hobbit.

There has been some talk about the validly of Dwarves being able to use bows and arrows in Middle-earth, although I don't really know where that fear comes from. There are numerous mentions in The Hobbit of the Dwarves using bows. I 'm sure there would be some in LotR (instead of just The Hobbit) if there were more dwarven characters. It is also evident that Dwarves used bows in the defense of their buildings.

LotR takes place before the invention of crossbows, and certainly before cannons and pistols. If I were making a standard fantasy MOD, I would take Tolkien's idea that Dwarves used bows as orthodox to what Dwarves used before the invention of crossbows in other fantasy worlds (depending on how strict the history is). In other words, I'd use Aaglo's Dwarven Archer as a slightly more primitive Dwarven ranged unit. Later on it could upgrade to the Dwarven Ranger Aaglo made, then later it could upgrade to e-dead's Thunderer. Depending on the span of the fantasy MOD, of course.

Nice job, you are improving the graphix for my mod as well.

Top Bottom