Portuguese Colonial War: Angola 1961-74

krazydude

Prince
Portuguese Colonial War: Angola 1961-74

Pre-War Historical Notes:

After the second world war, lots of african and asian european colonies claimed independence. From 1945 to 1960 lots of these colonies turned into independent countries.

Some governments however, denied this and guerrilla wars started all over Africa and Asia.
The cold war was rising tensions all over and soviets tried to have their power expanded, supporting lots of guerrillas.

Also in Cabinda, an Angola exclave separated from the main country by a small strip of Zaire and the Zaire river, rebel groups took arms to get the region's independence.
Even after the war it was not given independece to Cabinda, and it remained a province of Angola.

In 1960 Portugal was under a fascist regime, controling Angola, Mozambique, Guiné and three cities in India.
Rebel revolts are growing stronger, portuguese farmers attacked in the north and east and armed attacks in some core cities made the portuguese government take a stand.

"ANGOLA IS OURS! ANGOLA IS OURS!" cried thousands of men in the ships on their way to the african coast.

However, this was a long and devastating war. A small country as Portugal maintained 4 fronts of war thousands of miles away from the mainland!

Now it's with you to lead your people into victory, as Portugal you are to control the areas of guerrilla activity. As Guerrillas, you must fight to get your deserved independence!

Downloads:

I STRONGLY recommend that you play the Multi Player version when you have the chance. It is where the scenario realism is shown: Realistic tech-tree and unit timing.

File is posted again. Please click on "Free" and wait 60 seconds for the download link to appear.

- Main File

Don't forget that your scenario folder must be named "Colonial War" and not "Colonial_War"

- Single Player BIQ

- Multi Player BIQ

Attachments

• pv4.jpg
    pv4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 5,477
Post-War Historical Notes:

Most portuguese soldiers in the war were against it; they hoped that rumors of revolution in the mainland are true, although some attempts have failed.

The war was consuming the country: Soldiers continued to fight for 13 years and the economy was suffering dearly with it.

In the 25th April 1974, the AFM (Armed Forces Movement, MFA in portuguese), organized thousands of volunteer soldiers in a night and captured military HQs, mass media stations and other.
A civil war was nearly happening, but some commander's cold blood (Like Salgueiro Maia) avoided it, and threw down the opressing governors without a single gun shot!

Turbulent times followed as a new government was estabilished, some radical left-wing groups almost started a civil war again, but everything passed.

Angola remained in civil war for decades; it is now a destroyed country. Full of potential with all those natural resources, Angola hasn't yet got the stability it needs.

Picture from 25th April 1974, in Lisbon

Attachments

• 25abril.jpg
    25abril.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 3,762
Scenario Special Notes / Strategy Advices:

- Motorized units cannot enter Jungle or Mountains.
- There are no luxuries / resources. It just doesn't make sense in this scenario.

- Guerrillas can draft (maximum 2 per turn).
- Guerrilla's foot units can enslave into immobile, invisible Tripwire Mines.
- Marxist Guerrilla and Tripwire Mines are invisible.
- Use Flaks, RPGs and Motorized MG-42 to destroy enemy air units.
- Use your initial advantage to destroy improvements on enemy cities.
- Strike on all fronts, lots of enemy cities far from the capital have very low production. You have both Forbidden Palace and Secret Police HQ.

- Portugal cannot draft.
- Most portuguese units are auto-produced in many cities (consult civilopedia).
- Sappers can detect invisible units and have radar.
- Enemy does not have air units, but does have Flak, RPGs and Motorized MG-42, all having AA defense.
- Initially you may have some problems as hordes of Guerrilla's units invade your fiels, they are very week, but they will make their best to destroy improvements.
- Use your helicopters effectively to create surprise attacks on cities.
- Your cities suffer HEAVY corruption, you must get a strategy to supply your far front line cities.

Units & Improvements:

- Improvements are the same as regular Civ III, and some autoproducing wonders / improvements added. All in civilopedia.

- Portuguese Units:

- Mauser Kar-98 Infantry
- G3 Infantry
- FN-FAL Infantry
- Commando
- Sapper
- Madsen MG
- MG-42
- HK-21 MG

- Loose 60mm Mortar
- Precision 60mm Mortar

- Jeep
- Daimler Dingo
- Chaimite
- Panhard EBT
- Panhard AML

- DO-27
- Harvard T-6
- Fiat G91

- Guerrilla's Units:

- Musketman Infantry
- Thompson Infantry
- AK-47 Infantry
- CLF Guerrilla
- Marxist Guerrilla
- RPG-2
- RPG-7

- Motorized MG-42

- Tripwire Mine

Attachments

• angola.jpg
    angola.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,449
Credits / Thanks to:

- Very Special Thanks To El-Justo!

- Units and other Graphics:

- Christ2000
- Kinboat
- Balou
- Pesoloco
- Hunter
- J-S
- Doragon
- Wheel Gator
- hiddenpix
- utahjazz7
- smoking mirror
- CivArmy s. 1994
- ripptide
- Vuldacon
- TVA22
- BeBro

- Spyncrus
- Snoopy
- Zulu

Attachments

• terrain1.jpg
    terrain1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 3,118
Here are some suggestions:

- i played with portuguese and there was some invisible units attacking me. I hope those were not mines... :rolleyes:
- there was so many cool units, but i didn't think there was some real use of that bunch of helicopters i got by time. I only used two of them for few airdrops :undecide:

Fox Mccloud: Thanks! Hope you like it!

Crash757: Those are not mines, that's Marxist Guerrillas, they are invisible, I pointed that out in previous posts. "- Marxist Guerrilla and Tripwire Mines are invisible."

Use your sappers to detect those units.

Regarding the helis, maybe I should have fewer of them, although making airdrops is a very good strategy is this scenario. I will change that in future versions.

Thank you for your ideas :)

Top Bottom