eldar03: Playing Footsie (Monarch, slow units only)

eldar

ChiefTank
The technical bits:

C3C 1.22

Civ: tbd - see below
Difficulty: Monarch
World Size: Standard [Possibly Small, but with 7 opponents?]
Everything else: random

Variant Rules:
We may never build ground units with a move rate above 1. This means no upgrades allowed to Mech Inf (if the game gets that far) or Radar Artillery (again...), of course.
No Armies, no SoZ!

Standard SG rules/etiquette apply.

Roster:
eldar
Tone
Minute Man

This is the start chosen:

The actual save file, Save #1, is attached later on in the thread.

Choosing the Civ.
The following Civs are definitely out because their UU is land-based and has move > 1, or even worse (in the case of the Aztecs) their basic warrior unit has move 2:

Aztecs (Jag Warrior);
Incas (Chasqui Scout);
Zulus (Impi);
Egypt (War Chariot);
Hittites (3-Man Chariot);
Iroquois (Mounted Warrior);
Celts (Gallic Swordsman);
China (Rider);
Mongols (Keshik);
Arabia (Ansar Warrior);
India (War Elephant);
Japan (Samurai);
Russia (Cossack);
Ottomans (Sipahi);
Germany (Panzer);
Spain (Conquistador).

The other expansionist Civs (Portugal, America) are also out, as they start with a Scout.

So, we are left with a choice of:
Sumeria (Enkidu Warrior) <-- Not totally averse to it, but very early.
Greece (Hoplite) <-- GOTM40, too early for my liking.
Carthage (Numidian Mercenary) <-- Not totally opposed, but still a bit early.
Babylon (Bowman) <-- Earliness issues once again.
Maya (Javelin Thrower) <-- Same as Babylon.
Persia (Immortals) <-- One of the best choices, a unit that is good to go for a full 2 ages.
Rome (Legionary) <-- Not bad, but TR02 (still playing) is Rome.
Byzantines (Dromon) <-- Best sea UU there is. Only really effective on a 'pelago map.
Netherlands (Swiss Mercenary) <-- Great defense, great timing, but not so hot on killing stuff.
Scandinavia (Berserk) <-- Would be a top choice, but expensive and only effective on 'pelagos (or specially-constructed maps).
France (Musketeer) <-- I'm not a fan.
England (Man-O-War) <-- Getting a bit late in the day, but a decent enough boat.
Korea (Hwach'a) <-- Might be interesting - a much-maligned unit.

I've not forgotten anyone have I...?

Sumeria (Enkidu Warrior) UU:*** Traits:****
Greece (Hoplite) UU:** Traits:**
Carthage (Numidian Mercenary) UU:* Traits:***
Babylon (Bowman) UU:* Traits:**
Maya (Javelin Thrower) UU:*** Traits:*****
Persia (Immortals) UU:***** Traits:****
Rome (Legionary) UU:*** Traits:***
Byzantines (Dromon) UU:**** Traits:***
Netherlands (Swiss Mercenary) UU:** Traits:****
Scandinavia (Berserk) UU:**** Traits:**
France (Musketeer) UU:**** Traits:****
England (Man-O-War) UU:** Traits:***
Korea (Hwach'a) UU:? Traits:**

That would leave me with:
Sumeria (Enkidu Warrior) UU:*** Traits:****
Maya (Javelin Thrower) UU:*** Traits:*****
Persia (Immortals) UU:***** Traits:****
Rome (Legionary) UU:*** Traits:***
Byzantines (Dromon) UU:**** Traits:***
Netherlands (Swiss Mercenary) UU:** Traits:****
Scandinavia (Berserk) UU:**** Traits:**
France (Musketeer) UU:**** Traits:****

I would pick France, great UU, nice traits and good in all maps :)

Signing in BTW ;)

not a sign in but suggest to make a small map or you guys will get really bored moving foot soldiers around :)

regretably NOT a sign up.
but will definity lurk.
if youre short i could fill in sometimes.

i would go for persia, as the IMMORALS are, for lack of a better word.... immortal ;)

as for land, how about a 3 billion, wet, world? that would also slow the opposition.

I'll be away from the 14th to the 18th, but if that's not a problem, I'll sign up.

@Ville, veovim:
Welcome to the game :)

@dman:
Yeah, I did think that maybe a small map would work better. I also though that using a custom .biq to allow more than 5 opponents would be interesting, though I'm not sure how to pull that off and still get a random map. I'll investigate in the editor this evening, shouldn't be too difficult. If so, how does Small, with 7 opponents (as opposed to 5) sound?

Discounting all choices of Civ but 3:
Persians would be too easy, IMO.

Vikes, well, I like the UU, but if we wound up on a Pangaea, they're a bit expensive just for souped-up MedInfs.

Having seen what Bamspeedy achieved with Musketeers and bombard units in his Beyond Sid game, I like the idea of going with France. A stack of Treb/Cannon, MedInf, and Muskets would be dangerous indeed. Or we could make it even harder and say we can only use Muskets+bombarders once we get Gunpowder?!

@sw, regarding climate etc:
Warm/Wet/3billion is great for slowing down the AI, it's also great for terrain impenetrable by our artillery (jungles, swamps, mountains...). I generally always go with random climate and age, least then I can't blame myself for a bad choice :)

Sounds different. Good for practicing warring skills in games where ainwood has been stingy with resources in C/GOTM. ;) Can I sign up please?

I'll sign up. I've been getting rather addicted to the horse/knight/cavalry blitz lately, so it'll be nice to do something different.

As for the civ, Persia would get my vote, but France would be fine, too.

Okay, Tone and MM complete the roster. I'll roll a start or two tomorrow (busy on COTM10 tonight).

lurker's comment: I'll be lurking with random comments to send y'all back to the stone ages... ;)

well, I guess there's no room left. If there is I'll join, though.

btw, to get a random map with an edited game, just leave the map blank (all water). When you start, it will act as a random map.

Just uncheck custom map even if you have a custom map and it will be random ;)

I wouldn't like to play Persia because 1) Too easy 2) Overplayed
but I can play with them too if everyone else wants to :)

Attacking only with Musketeers wouldn't be too wise, they are excellent defensive UU with +1 def and def bombard. I would take MDIs and Cannons with Musketeers and we'd have pretty immortal stack :p

Just a check: everyone's alright with France, small world, modded for 7 opponents?

lurker's comment: When do we see some startup pics for us lurkers to discuss :lol:

eldar said:
Just a check: everyone's alright with France, small world, modded for 7 opponents?

Fine with me.

Top Bottom