MM5: One City Smackdown Redux: Greek Glory

Mark1031

Deity
Difficulty = Emperor
Civilization = Greek
Map = Pangea
Barbs = off
World Size = Standard 80%, Hot, Dry, 3mil

Variant AW, Soft OCC. We can capture cities and abandon before turn ends (for Armies).

This is a retry of MM3 where WE got smackeddown early as the Iroquois. We start in a very nice spot see below. We need some new players as RL has taken Greebley and Aggie.

Mark
Bed Head 7
Akots
LKendter
open
Romeothemonk

Here is our start.

If you put me at the end of the roster and do not expect an instant turnaround I could be up for it. I am not at your guy's level, but I am farily handy around civ.

Welcome Romeothemonk. This should play pretty fast with 1 city but there is no pressure.

With this start, I would advocate settling where the settler stands. Yes we miss the Colossus, but 4 cows, 1 sugar, 1 Ivory and at least 8 river tiles will be fine. Plus it will let us do the early archer rush. I would rather have 10 archers than the colossus in AW anyway.

romeothemonk said:
With this start, I would advocate settling where the settler stands. Yes we miss the Colossus, but 4 cows, 1 sugar, 1 Ivory and at least 8 river tiles will be fine. Plus it will let us do the early archer rush. I would rather have 10 archers than the colossus in AW anyway.

Trust me, you need colossus. Your unit support is the most critical thing. OCC conquest game needs commerce more than anything else. Going for 10 archers is certainly short-sighted. You won't win the game fast.

You won't start building Zeus until 2nd expansion anyway, so there is no urgent need to get ivory immediately.

Move settler SE.

romeothemonk said:

Well I probably shouldn't, but sign me up. One city isn't that big of a commitment. 10 turns may take less time then the city review in LK88.

Colossus is critical. If this game makes it to the Middle Ages income will be key to avoiding hopelessly behind in tech. Extra revenue helps avoid it.

Welcome LKendter. Well we have 5 and could use 1 more but I will start tonight in any case. I do believe that Colossus is important and I will found 1 SE. The beauty of this site is that we can get to 20 spt very quickly and can do 30 spt in Monarchy. The key I think is doing 1 turn units and not losing many. How many units/turn can 7 AIs produce? If we lose more than 1/turn we are falling behind :eek: . We need this to be mostly over before MAs. Lots of Archers/pult/Hoplite stacks. Swords after we are in Monarchy and can do 30 spt but before that I would take 2 archers over 1 sword and 15 wasted shields. I'd say we research WC 1st of course then on to Math for pults and AC. Slot Colossus in there somewhere when units are maxed out. Lots of pillaging Hoplites will be needed as well.

Edit: We need the coast anyway as there may be islands.

Just hope that WE are not on this island. Definitely, the settler has to be moved to get on coast. We also keep cane and all cows in the radius. May be less exploration in this game? We need the maximal aggression of the AIs to kick in before we meet them so that they can start wars amongst themselves. When they have some human to ventilate their anger, they might be tempted to live in peace with the other AIs.

4000: Pic above was one step for worker and settler.
3950: Settler steps 1SE, worker irrigates.
3900: Founding reveals wines that will be in our boarders. Start warrior, research WC @ Max.
3700: We have an army of 1 warrior. Start another.
3500: We have 2 warriors and are size 2.
3400: 3rd warrior in start Rax.
3350: Russian Spear appears. Trade alphabet+11 gp for Masonry. Declare. Switch rax to 1 more warrior.
3300 cover worker with 2 warriors. 4th completes start Rax.
3250: spear retreats.
3050: 2 warriors show up.
3000: Rax completes. Start Hoplite. WC Drops in price due next turn.
2950: Switch Hop->archer. Fortified warrior wins on defense loses 3 HP but promotes. Wins a second time but is redlined. Loses to spear. WC in start math at min (best we can do ATM)
2900: Spear pillages our irrigated roaded cow. Cover other roaded cow with warrior.
2850: Spears retreat. First Archer completes
2750: German spear appears. They are up Pot and CB no deals declare. They have 2 cities and 2 workers for sale (I think they are at war :D ).

Well this is a little dicer than I expected. 2 civs already coming at us with spears. I went with archers as I would like to delay our GA until we are a bit bigger maybe for Colossus build. Once we build up some archers I would pull some workers off at size 6 for faster improvement and reincorporation to size 12 fast. We should be doing 10spt at size 5. With 3 cows irrigated we can do 5fpt for a 4 turn growth cycle w/o granary. 4th cow can be mined if we can protect our workers.

I took 25 to deal with Russian invasion.

Bed Head 7 UP Take 15
Akots On Deck Take 10

Got it. May be able to get this back up tonight after some homework, as it shouldn't take too long.

2710 BC (1) - Meet America. They have the Wheel but we can't get it. We do get Pottery and 20g for Alphabet, though. Then we declare on America.

Then, for the rest of my turns produced archers, except upon reaching size 6, where I popped a worker. Lost one (?) archer and one regular warrior, while getting rid of quite a few more. There are some units up north to try to disrupt America, but I keep on attacking regular warriors as they poured out so I didn't have to deal with them around our home. Still no hoplites. By the way, if we ever are able to improve the other tile, we might as well irrigate it. It makes things more flexible for us, as we can work high food or high shields as necessary. Plus, mining won't do anything for us in despotism.

Good work. Looks like te coast is clear for now. I would say archers/workers now then a few hoplites. Merge workers back to size 12 after work is done and start Colossus and GA.

Akots UP
LKendter ON DECK

Hopefully, this one at least for now, looks more promising than the previous one. However, I’m not sure we can afford third worker. Not now imo. May be after a few turns. Hence, build switched to hoplite. We need to be on the safe side and guard our soon-to-be-hooked-up wines with this hoplite. Hopefully, he will not be attacked.

[1] Archers arrived at suburbs of Washington. Will be trying to raze it or at least pillage the area.

[2] Hoplite ready, building worker, 2 more archers take off in the direction of annoying Russian archer. Our warrior-scout detects another Russian archer on the move. Elite archer (3/5) wins against American regular archer on the cow farm near Washington.

[3] Worker ready, building archer. Veteran archer redlines but kills spear in Washington. Attack with 3hp elite or not? I decide to attack, we killed the spear, but there is another spear, third one and our archer has only 2 hp left now. Well, Emperor AI is way stronger than Monarch.

[4] American archer advances to lift the siege of Washington. We retreat with one archer and pillage cow with redlined another one who is hopefully sacrificing his life for good.

[5] Archer ready, making hoplite. Retreating from Washington to lick the wounds. IBT: Retreat not successful, enemy archers ambush us and kill all our brave soldiers. We need a hoplite up there certainly and the sooner the better IMO.

[7] Hoplite-hoplite. Two American archers chasing our wounded battalion which runs away in fear. But reinforcements are on the way! Beware treacherous Abe of the holy Greek revenge! Russia advances a spear and an archer towards our borders. Ain’t looking pretty at all. When Bismarck comes, his warriors will be only able to dance on the ruins of great Athens.

[8] We are making 14 spt and Athens is a city now. Time to start on Colossus since we are wasting a lot of shields.

[9] Russian archer cowardly runs away blinded by the shining armor of our glorious hoplites. Killed American archer lured in the open. We also come to the suburbs of Moscow. Where is this Bismarck hiding?

[10] Lose archer near Moscow to Russian archer. Here is Eastern front:

And Northern front with two hoplites advancing as reinforcements.

There are only two units in Athens: regular warrior and archer. If Germans show up, we are in trouble. And the more the Colossus build progresses, the worse would be the consequences of this trouble. Hence, it might be better to keep the second hoplite around Athens. One plus 3 archers should be sufficient to pillage few important tiles in American lands. The remaining hoplite will be needed at home to shield the workers which are supposed to start roading towards ivory since our border expansion is due in 12 turns.

Beware, there is an American archer near or inside Boston! And good luck which we desperately need. So far, RNG rolls were rather even. Need some good streak.

SAVE

Akots (just played)
LKendter (currently playing)

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/MM5-1500BC.zip

1750 BC
This is not the type of tech position I like for AW. Researching at minimum risks permanent tech hole.

1725 BC
Scratch a Russian archer. (1-0)

1700 BC
The Germans have horses as I see a Chariot.
Scratch 2 American archers. (3-0)

1675 BC
Our warrior can't even hurt an archer. (3-1)

1650 BC
This isn't the time for a sadistic RnG.
Archer dies attacking archer. (3-2)

1625 BC
This is really bad, as I know our wines will get pillaged. I up the luxury rate to 40%.

1600 BC
This time I kill the annoying archer. (4-2)
(IT) A Russian elite archer attacks our hoplite and wins. :cry: (4-3)

1575 BC
I kill the Russian spear. (5-3)

1550 BC
The German chariot is dead along with the archer. (7-3)

==========================

Summary:
With no new units on the way this turn was a disaster. Losing the Hoplite about to pillage Russia really hurt.

Top Bottom