GOTM 41: Pregame discussion

I like it. I think I'm moving east and the worker is going to start by chopping the forest and then irrigating the flood plains. Irrigate flood plains do give 3 food in despotism don't they?

Moving east will get us away from the edge of the map without the river movement penalty.

MOTH said:
IIrrigate flood plains do give 3 food in despotism don't they?
They do and they also likely to bring deseases...

Whoa, interesting start. Got lots of food and production at the ready for Persepolis...and sedentary barbs, too. My initial thought is to settle on the hill NE to preserve flood plain tiles, get some early production, and send the worker to road and then chop the forest SE for a cheap second worker or settler head start as well as a very, very early lux. Second town will be S, SW of the starting location to grab the other two furs and access more flood plains.

There's got to be a catch. No Iron for the immortals on the home continent?

I'm planning to go with worker E to irrigate, settler SE to found on the furs. Unless I am misremembering, cities founded on plains/fur get two shields.

There is an outside chance that I may decide to move both the worker and settler SE, then move the worker one more SE before founding. I would lose one turn of irrigating, but if he revealed FP wheat hiding under the fog to the SE it would be worth it.

bradleyfeanor said:
There is an outside chance that I may decide to move both the worker and settler SE, then move the worker one more SE before founding. I would lose one turn of irrigating, but if he revealed FP wheat hiding under the fog to the SE it would be worth it.

You can always send the worker E in any case, E-S = SE-SE. :)

I too think the SE furs seem like a good town spot. Now I just have to finish GOTM 40 in time...

It looks like there is grass to the north. I think I'll move both settler and worker NE initially. This will uncover 3 tiles to the NE. After that, if nothing is revelaed, I'll move worker to the mountain. If I STILL don't see anything (I'm betting we will) then I'll probably move the settler north towards the grass.

I don't recall ever starting on a mountain before.

My fog-gazing magnifier shows at least 1 and possiblly 2 Wheat to the NW across the plains. It will take a while to get irrigation there but that could be a future settlement location.

Interesting start. Irrigated flood plain plus forest gives the same food and production as two regular grass tiles, and irrigated plains with furs are the equivalent of bonus grasses, so this start has good production as well as the potential of higher food when desired. If Xevious is right about settling on furs giving two shields in the city square, that makes SE settling almost a no-brainer for me (although I may be tempted to poke around with my worker); otherwise, NE looks good. It's on the wrong side of the river from the flood plains, true, but with so much obvious benefit to developing lots of tiles fast, I'd be giving serious thought to popping out a second worker anyway.

Looks like fun -- definitely have to find time to play this one. And COTM10.

Renata

Settling SE we have a perfectly (short of disease) fine 5-6 pop (3 irrigated FP, 2 irrigated plains furs, 1 irrigated plains, forest on growth and 2sh city center) settler factory.
And with industrous workers all the hacking necessary to get it to work will go quick.
So I see no need for scouting first. Just settle, irrigate the FPs, then hack and irrigate.

What a trendy map. I hear fur is so in this year.

I think I will move my settler too. I vaguely remember (?cotm5) that cities founded on fur plains get 2 shields. Flood plains can be very unpleasant though. I had 2 lots of disease (that's -4 population) in the last tiny map conquest game I played.

I was thinking of SE, but Moth's fog-gazing for wheat has tempted me to move the worker NE and see what's there. 2 NE for a city would be an excellent spot if there is wheat up there. That would leave SE as a fine spot for city #2.

As for research I'm thinking about Alphabet to Writing to Literature for cheap libraries. I should be able to parlay Masonry & Bronze Working into the rest of the first level techs and Writing into most of the second level techs (unless we're Gilligan'd again - Ainwood wouldn't do that to us 2 games in a row would he).

of course the opening build will be a warrior for scouting. Then either another warrior or a granary depending on what I see. Having industrious workers (on PTW) will reduce my needs for a lot of them, though I'm leaning towards making city 2 a worker factory.

I'm debating on what long term goal to have on this on. My COTM 10 is not going to be a very good finish (though I'm winning easily) due to a lack of focus. I'm going to try to pick a victory goal and focus on that from the get go. As of now, I'm thinking of a SpaceShip Victory (since it's been a while since I've seen the movie).

I like to settle where I am, and I think I'll do that here. :D :D :D

EDIT: Silliness aside, my early thoughts are to settle the hill. IIRC PTW (but not vanilla) would allow me to irrigate the western plains without clearing forest then. Plus all the other tiles look too nice to settle on. In PTW do you get 10 shields in the box for settling on forest?

What is the % of water?

To those wondering only a bonus that gives a shield and a tile that gives a shield will yield 2s in a town with depotism. So that amounts to fur or cattle on plains.

I think I would move southeast just for novelty of it, it being so rare, wonder how the industrious interacts, size 7 with 3 shields in the city?

I thought you could only get floodplain related disease (not jungle) from founding directly on a floodplain. In jungles, it just has to be in the city radius.

klarius said:
Settling SE we have a perfectly (short of disease) fine 5-6 pop (3 irrigated FP, 2 irrigated plains furs, 1 irrigated plains, forest on growth and 2sh city center) settler factory.
And with industrous workers all the hacking necessary to get it to work will go quick.
So I see no need for scouting first. Just settle, irrigate the FPs, then hack and irrigate.

Math...
Size 5->5.5, 6 shields (City, 3FPs, 2 furs)
Size 5.5->6, 8 shields (City, 3FPs, 2 furs + forest on growth)
Size 6->6.5, 7 shields (City, 3FPs, 2 furs, 1 plain)
Size 6.5->7(5), 9 shields (City, 3FPs, 2 furs, 1 plain + forest on growth)

Bada-bang, bada-bing!

I urge everyone to settle SE :D

However an early second Worker will still get this going quicker. Even if roading isn't done:
Irrigate 3xFPs = 6 turns;
Chop+Irrigate 2 Furs = 14 turns;
Irrigate Plain = 2 turns

Already 22 turns plus moves, and you need all those tiles improved for the factory to work. Without a second worker, that factory won't be running 'til well after 3000BC.

MeteorPunch said:
I thought you could only get floodplain related disease (not jungle) from founding directly on a floodplain. In jungles, it just has to be in the city radius.
No, it comes from working the tiles. Funny enough (although I'm not actually laughing at the moment) it has just happened to me this morning due to working a wfp tile (the town is founded on grass) knocking my capital from pop 3 to pop 1.

I wish Immortal could move a little faster and then maybe we could dominate the world even without knights.

Top Bottom