Help CivFanatics fight Cancer! Join our team.

dolby71

Chieftain
Our team currently have 17 members!
-Click here to join the team-

Grid.org is a single destination site for large-scale research projects powered by the United Devices Global MetaProcessor. From the Cancer Research Project sponsored by Intel and the University of Oxford to the Anthrax Research Project sponsored by Intel and Microsoft, the Global MetaProcessor @ grid.org has been put to use for research and analysis projects of groundbreaking scope. With the participation of over 2 million devices worldwide, grid.org projects driven by the Global MetaProcessor have achieved record levels of speed and success in processing data.
How it works
The Global MetaProcessor @ grid.org is a virtual supercomputer that can be harnessed to power computational research and analysis projects on a massive scale. By combining millions of online CPUs worldwide to work on extremely large computational projects, problems can be solved more quickly and less expensively than by conventional methods. Now any networked computer can help fuel research and projects that previously may have required a bank of supercomputers or a hundred years to complete.
Join grid.org and make a difference.
To become a member of grid.org and participate in these important projects, simply download a free, non-invasive software program that works as a screensaver. It runs when your computer has idle processing time. Your computer never leaves your desk and the project never interrupts your normal PC use.

Grid.org lets you make a real difference without donating money or time, with the system that you are using to view this site right now-your home or office PC.
http://www.grid.org/

Click here to download the UD Agent
It's only 1.5MB!
I really think this is much more important than running SETI and all those other grid software. I hope you feel the same way.

Once you download the UD Agent, all you have to do is install it, provide a username and password, and just join the CivFanatics team i created, by clicking on the link below:
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=BC5A27AD-975A-4AD0-BB36-DFEAACCEFE60

When you install the software and create your user account you will be included in all current United Devices projects by default. I would rather have you guys running only Cancer Project files. To do that, just follow these instructions:​
Follow these steps:
1. From any page within Grid.org, select member services.
2. Enter your Member Name and password in the corresponding locations: Password will be hidden with large dots. Then press the Login button.
3. From your personal home page, select My device manager.
4. From the My device manager page select profiles.
5. From the profile selection window select the profile you wish to modify. If you haven't created a different one it will be called Default
6. At the bottom of this window, you will find the projects you can select or deselect. Click on the check boxes to select/deselect them. As normal, a check mark indicates that project is selected. (Here, check the cancer project and uncheck all the others!)
7. Click the Save button
8. Any changes you made will become effective the next time you complete a work unit and return the results to the server.
I'm gonna edit this message from time to time, and add some info about the project. I hope you guys reply and sign up.

Thank you for your time.​

FWIW, I wouldn't have known about it if you didn't post it here, and I'm tempted to download it when I get home. Thanks :)

It's a good cause, and by the way grid.org is well regarded and legitimate (think SETI@home except for cancer), but you could do better by getting prior mod approval and also not putting statements like "If you read this message, and you think this is a waste of time, then I really do feel sorry for you, and I hope that you and your family wouldn't get Cancer" in your post, which if you'd been around OT a bit you'd know will only annoy people.

dolby71 said:
Cool! Maybe you can help me convince people that it doesn't have any spyware, and that it's completely harmless.

I might be able to help with that too. If The Register (among others) has a team, you can be sure that it is indeed spyware-free. TheRegister readers tend to be of the extremely tech-savvy, anti-spam/spyware sort and I have zero doubt that if UnitedDevices were bundling spyware in its application that TheRegister would scream about it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/05/14/reg_readers_devote_1600_years/

Edit: Finally found Team SlashDot as well: http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=772BA236-DEB5-419A-BCA5-36503363E69A

And if slashdotters haven't panned it, it won't be panned.

IglooDude said:
I might be able to help with that too. If The Register (among others) has a team, you can be sure that it is indeed spyware-free. TheRegister readers tend to be of the extremely tech-savvy, anti-spam/spyware sort and I have zero doubt that if UnitedDevices were bundling spyware in its application that TheRegister would scream about it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/05/14/reg_readers_devote_1600_years/
Nice info, Igloodude, for the spyware-free of this program.
Thing is that only users with broadband width can use it, as a 56k line costs way too much to leave it open/connected all the day.

dolby71 said:
No actually. It works offline, and you can configure the hours it's allowed to connect the internet to send the results and download a new work unit, so you can decide you want it connecting only from 9 to 10 when ur on the PC or something.
Thanks for this info, dolby71. With offline working, everyone could use it, no matter how he connects to the Internet.

I'll allow it. :) The program is not spyware and it's for a good cause.

Anyone know how much CPU usage the process uses when it does the computing?

Thunderfall said:
I'll allow it. :) The program is not spyware and it's for a good cause.

Anyone know how much CPU usage the process uses when it does the computing?
That is one of my main conserns is if it sucks up CPU usage.

I'm sure you can limit the amount of CPU it uses, so that it only uses CPU cycles when it is idle. IIRC that's the main idea behind it: you use your idle CPU time to help fight cancer, or find aliens, or fold proteins, or whatever.

Mise said:
I'm sure you can limit the amount of CPU it uses, so that it only uses CPU cycles when it is idle. IIRC that's the main idea behind it: you use your idle CPU time to help fight cancer, or find aliens, or fold proteins, or whatever.

Exactly. It is essentially like a screensaver except with some serious processing instead of just pretty pictures. :)

When I'm sober I'll give it due consideration, but I think I'll be all for it. To take all that unused potential of my self-built PC whilst I am at work and putting it to good use should help purify my blackened soul. Let us hope for cures for cancer, the discovery of benevolent aliens and a cure for hangovers, STDs and rap music.

Damnyankee said:
I propose the mods sticky this thread to help the fight against cancer :)

Pass me the sick bucket.

I signed up. :)

Top Bottom