Bjørn's Discount Art Emporium

Bjornlo

Deity
Like almost everyone here, I enjoy modding Civ3. As wonderful as the available units are, I haven't been able to find everything I wanted; and, sometimes I've downloaded units where the original artist was simply too busy to create some of the minor graphics file that make using the unit easier, such civilopedia icons or unit32 icons. So I was forced to drag out a few imaging programs and give a go at creating what I wanted for my mod on my own. Some of the following are new from the first pixel to the last. Some are derived from photos. Some are derived from the works of others. I tried to attribute the source within the zip files, when I could determine the origin.

I thought I'd share them.
If you would like to use or improve upon my work, feel free. As with the rest of the files posted here, they are all released into the public domain.

Previews follow sorted by type

Civilopedia icons
(no animation files, though I typically include unit32 icons)
Ancient Units
Ancient Units (Greek)
Industrial Units
WW2 Units
German WW2 Infantry Units
German WW2 Heavy Infantry Units
Italian WW2 Infantry Units
Japanese WW2 Infantry Units
English WW2 Infantry Units
Russian WW2 Infantry Units
USA WW2 Army Infantry Units
USA WW2 Marine Infantry Units
Modern Units
Fantasy Units

Complete Units
ME262
Jeep w/ MG
x303 Prometheus
Hummer Avenger
M80a - APC
m80lt -Missle APC
F302 - Stargate Fighter
x-47b J-UCAS (UAV)
Centauro - Tank Destroyer

You need to quit putting your self down Bjornlo; I think you do excellent work. And that bazooka picture, I have been looking for one that fits perfectly for a long while, Thank you.

I think your units look good because they don't look like everone elses and great work on the Civlopedia Icons!

CrazyAce,
I'm not putting myself down. I like my work too. But, compare my two units to Kinboat's Monk or Aaglo's melting slime monster. Those guys (and others) represent the best on this site, not me. I just do still images (of an acceptable, though not brilliant quality) and the occasional unit (again of acceptable, though not brilliant quality). Also, I haven't made a unit that is breathing creature. Just animating the flapping flag and the movement of the little guys on the jeep was about the limit of what I could do. I am getting better, but there is a huge difference between "doesn't suck" to "wow".
I took some art classes back in college; and, lets just say, I passed but didn't help my GPA. I have alot of amazing artists in the family, but I take after my dad more. Engineer that can appreciate but not create great art. My art, such as it is, is most often based on a drawing, image, photo, or model by someone else. I have a terrible time with a blank slate. I know almost all of the items on this site are based either on a model(2d or 3d), mesh, drawing, etc so I don't feel too bad about using them. I just don't want to be compared to the best the site has to offer.
My wife (in a weak moment) noticed how much I was enjoying creating these things, and gave me permission to go and pick up a couple of entry level render programs. So I bought Bryce and Poser. So, hopefully I'll be able to learn these cool tools in my limited spare time and raise the quality of my creations up at least a little.

----

CrazyAve and :)Civ2
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them.

Sounds like your wife and you have an understanding relationship that is very uncommon nowadays.

I have Bryce, Poser and other 3D programs and think as long as you have the necessary 3DS format models, you can produce some very nice animations with Bryce.

Poser I personally like its animation aspects although it is kind of hard to use for beginners.

You should take a look at Maxon Cinema 4D site that allows a free limited (not timely) demo version and start the 3d learning experience from that. http://www.maxon.net/

CrazyAce said:
Sounds like your wife and you have an understanding relationship that is very uncommon nowadays.

I have Bryce, Poser and other 3D programs and think as long as you have the necessary 3DS format models, you can produce some very nice animations with Bryce.

Poser I personally like its animation aspects although it is kind of hard to use for beginners.

You should take a look at Maxon Cinema 4D site that allows a free limited (not timely) demo version and start the 3d learning experience from that. http://www.maxon.net/
Thanks for the link. I've DL'ed it.
Is this easier to learn from theb Bryce/Poser? Or just better?

I made a mistake my latest unit, the WW2 Jeep w/ MG.

I got so focused on the animations and such that I forgot to check the palette of the civilopedia splash page.

I fixed the problem, and replaced the old files.

So, if you care what the splash page looks like, you will need to download it again. Or you can just DL the smaller zip file from the civilopedia icons section.

You can easily spot the mistake, in the game the small icon will have a blue background (instead of white) and the larger icon will have a pink one.

Sorry for the inconvience.

added updated viking longship civilopedia icon. It has better colors and is slightly different in shape.
Here
--------

related to this viking theme, I also added a new other graphics (not unit related)

Tech: Age of the viking (and an alternate graphic)
Here

Wonder: Leif's great voyage (and an alternate splash)
Here

The building icon for this wonder can be seen:
Here

Bjornlo said:
I added a few more Civilopedia icons. If anyone feel free to use them any way you see fit. For now, I'm using them to dress up my civilopedia/tech tree with some older units I've been using.
Looking good- if you could make some more PTW WWII icons like those two you already made- that'd be sweet ;) (hint hint)

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Looking good- if you could make some more PTW WWII icons like those two you already made- that'd be sweet ;) (hint hint)

hehe, ok I'll try and fit some in. The images I just posted was just me sharing some stuff I already had laying about on my HD. I just cleaned them up a tiny bit and posted them.

Is there a unit list anywhere of which icons for the PTW-WW2 units are MIA?
I'm not promising anything, as I'm spending most of my free time playing with some of these 3d toys (I stink at them so far).

Cool Stuff :D:

Hmm, AFAIK, someone made a German Soldier somewhere, now you got the US Flamethrower...

American Rifleman
American HMG
American Anti-Tank
(American Flamethrower)
(German Rifleman)
German HMG
German Anti-Tank
German Flamethrower
British Rifleman
Russian Rifleman
Japanese Rifleman
Italian Rifleman (though the one that came with PTW is wrong in its appearance)

edit: those would be the PTW originals (not counting my conversions)

Top Bottom