COTM11 Pre-game discussion

Karasu

Wanderer
GOTM Staff
COTM11 - Korea

Korea was requested, Korea it is :D
And what more could you ask for: a rich start, an easy Regent game... ;)

Civilization: Korea
Opponents: 7 preselected
World Size: Standard, 4 billions
Characteristics: (nominally) Pangaea, 60% ocean
Climate: Warm, Arid
Barbarians: Sedentary
Difficulty: Regent

Well, I'm looking forward to playing it.

No fresh water by the looks, and it seems we're on the end of a narrow peninsula. For me, settling options are NE or SE on the hills. Concern is that this will result in a capital on the edge of the empire - not ideal (although I'll jump it later anyway). As a random thought, I might actually consider the hill to the NNE - this will allow one or two cities to the south, sharing the cow and game in a nice ICS.

60% ocean? Makes me think that we are either on a very long peninsula, or we're on a short-one, cut-off by (say) greeks or carthage or something else with a strong early defender....

starting region seems to be very productive... a good place for 20k again. :)

Korea is on a peninsula. No surprise here.
As for the settling position, I have an intention to travel north. It is a regent game, so no worry about giving AI an extra time (even on predator). I may settle NNE or even go further north depending on what I will see.

davidcrazy said:

If going for 20k, does it make any sense to settle on the hills and jump the palace, I guess North? If so, when would one do this palace jump?

What is Korea's UU and civ characteristics?

Jonesy10 said:
If going for 20k, does it make any sense to settle on the hills and jump the palace, I guess North? If so, when would one do this palace jump?

Never played 20K, but my understanding that 20K should be started earlier. The earliest palace jump could be into the second city. But I do not see any sense in doing that. Why not simply build a capital where you want it instead of destroying the first one?

Jonesy10 said:
What is Korea's UU and civ characteristics?

here

davidcrazy said:

On Regent, I think an OCC 20k culture would be an interesting game. In that case I like the looks of N,NE for the start. I think a move to the mountain with the worker would be in order for that case to make sure of the start position.

If there's water to the north, N,NE would be even better. I don't like the idea of the palace so far south. The thing that could really turn this nice start nightmarish is if this is a smallish island off the coast of the large landmass. That would require settling a number of BG to get enough cities.
So, even though it will waste some time I think a quick look from the mountain with the worker is in order.

Jonesy10 said:
I guess I'll use my capitol as the 20K city this time and of course i won't jump the palace by abadoning it. if we can get a SGL (with this difficulty level, i'm expecting to do all the research myself), maybe we can do a jump after the forbidden city is built.

ionimplant said:
I guess I'll use my capitol as the 20K city this time and of course i won't jump the palace by abadoning it. if we can get a SGL (with this difficulty level, i'm expecting to do all the research myself), maybe we can do a jump after the forbidden city is built.

Only one problem with that. SGLs are off for all COTM games. You could jump the palace with an MGL though.

Xevious said:
Only one problem with that. SGLs are off for all COTM games.

That's too bad. I'm assuming this is due to their randomness and the fact they severely change a player's game with a single SGL.

As to COTM11 I'm thinking of settling my capitol N, NE and than founding my city S, S of the capitol (or SE of the starting position). I'll make the 2nd city the 20k city (or attempt too :) ).

After the mountainous start in GOTM#41, we face another one here in COTM#11.

Some would say that this might be a worrying trend but for me I like the idea. It's extremely easy to just settle in place normally and then scout 'round later, whereas with a mountainous start you are forced to have a quick scan of the nearby 'best spots' and choose.

Afterwards, when all the dust has settled, analysis will show that the starting locations for most players will have varied more than with normal situations.

I like it - you have to think more. :goodjob:

Methos said:
That's too bad. I'm assuming this is due to their randomness and the fact they severely change a player's game with a single SGL.

That's the general idea. With a lucky SGL on your first tech you could rush Pyramids and blow everyone away with growth.

I like the idea of setting N NE. I think I'll move the worker N and take a look. If there is good stuff, the settler will follow. The worker would start working the BG and cow. I'd like to pop out an early settler to head back to the spot S of the starting location. But, there might be better stuff to the north, so that first settler may take a different track. I've just started playing C3C. I'll need to refresh me memory of Korea's traits and UU. Sedentary barbs might give some early bonuses.

Xevious said:
I think a move to the mountain with the worker would be in order for that case to make sure of the start position.

North of that mountain there appears to be yet another mountain, which would obscure the view. Perhaps a move into the game forest would reveal just as much, and an early chop could also come in handy should we decide to settle within reach. Settler onto the hill NE to look in that direction.

ainwood said:
You sure? I thought MGLs can't rush the palace.
is palace considered a small wonder?

btw, can korean's UU trigger golden age? Can they kill? never used Korea before.

ainwood said:
You sure? I thought MGLs can't rush the palace.
It's a small wonder, so yes, MGL's can.

ionimplant said:
btw, can korean's UU trigger golden age? Can they kill? never used Korea before.
I could be wrong on this one, but I think C3C gave the H'wacha fatal bombard so that it could trigger GA.

Top Bottom