New units: Hobbit Spearman & Gaffer (Mar 23rd, 2005)

aaglo

Furioso!
Hi!
Here are a couple of half-pint defenders - one with a spear and one with a "gaff" (sort of log-rafting tool). Enjoy :)

Here are the files:
Hobbit Spearman (415 kb)

Hobbit Gaffer (397 kb)

Attached is a preview of civilopedia images.

Attachments

• HobbitSpearman&Gaffer.gif
    HobbitSpearman&Gaffer.gif
    10 KB · Views: 1,865
Looks cool, I'm realy liking your hobit units, superb work.
I'm not sure about the name of the second guy though. "The gaffer" in TLOTR refers to the old man that sam lives with (not sure if he's his dad or what). But it generaly means a handy man with plenty of experience.

Not sure what it means nowdays, in fact you often see it in move credits, I would imagine its an old guy (or student) who lugs lights and things around.

Smoking mirror said:
Not sure what it means nowdays, in fact you often see it in move credits, I would imagine its an old guy (or student) who lugs lights and things around.

Oh dear, not quite! A "gaffer" in the film industry is basically the head electrician on a film and is therefore a very important person. I don't know where the name came from in this context, but I don't think it's essential that they be a wise little old man...

I think the spearhobbit with the cape is excellent. As for the other, I'm a little dubious about having a Hobbit in a metal helmet, but perhaps there's no reason why not, and he seems to look good, so fair enough!

or u cld simply call it an "Armoured Militia"

if you have a prob with the term gaffer

Haradrim of the East holding photo of Saruman the White after his death by Israeli assassination

Attachments

• Yasin photo00.default-380x300.jpg
    Yasin photo00.default-380x300.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 853
These will go perfect in the Mystara mod. D&D halflings do wear metal helms sometimes there. I don't see why they don't fit the Middle Earth theme either, why couldn't hobbits eventually start using metal armors after the return of Pippin and Merry? They were decked out in metal armors. Great work as usual aaglo.

Wow, those turned out awesome.

That spearman's attack is, um, the best I've ever seen!

And the hobbit in full armour seems just right for the sort that might have come after the Scouring of the Shire.

The name "gaffer" is such a multifaceted pun, I guess you could say, because it evokes rather quickly Samwise's father, but is a reference to the cool polearm, and, uh, has something to do with a guy on a movie set??? :crazyeye: Anyway I like it. It's "more better" than "Hobbit Pikeman" or something equally run-o-the-mill.

To be honest, I actually didn't know (or rather remember) the english name of Sam's father. The gaffer comes directly from the word gaff (the name was first thrown to the air by mrtn, so you can put the blame on him :p ).
...of course you can rename that unit in the game whatever you want :) (but I think that gaffer is a bit better than a log-rafter... :mischief: )

We now have a swarm of angry, incredibly well animated ankle-biters. All we can say is thank you aaglo again and again.

Here's today's thumbs :goodjob: :goodjob:

"Gaffer" was jast a spur of the moment pun, but I think it could fit as a unit name in the mod. :) Just have to explain it in the pedia. ;)

Great job Aaglo! :D Those look perfect in my eyes. You might want to stay away from Mrtn though, you two might end up eloping ;)
mrtn said:
"Gaffer" was jast a spur of the moment pun, but I think it could fit as a unit name in the mod. Just have to explain it in the pedia.
Darn, I knew I should have said "send money to PCHighway@msn.com" as a 'spur of the moment' joke somewhere in that thread. ;)
I could dig gaffer though, as I can see Aaglo got bored with some of our "Royal-Advanced-Armored-High Spearhobbit" names. :)

Again I must say BRILLIANT! :hatsoff:

I can just see it now, hordes of halfling gaffers marching on Barad Dur.

Steel General said:
I can just see it now, hordes of halfling gaffers marching on Barad Dur.
Yeah, that would be a sight! :)

Top Bottom