GOTM 41: Spoiler 2

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
GOTM 41 Spoiler 2: Entering Industrial Age

Now is your chance to tell all about how Xerxes fared in the middle ages.

to qualify for this spoiler, you must have reached the industrial ages. You must have all contacts, and a full world-map. If you haven't, then play a bit longer. ;)

On the off-chance that you complete this game before the industrial ages, you can post your end-game summary (if you have submitted).

As always: Please - no screenshots with industrial-age resources.

Just finished this write up and the 2nd spoiler miracously opens..... here goes

I entered the MA in 450 B.C. free tech was engineering (well, at least my workers could now cross all those rivers normally…). In that year I also made peace with rome who had managed to escape with a settler.

I tried to maintain a high tech pace and shoot straight for the I.A.. No chivalry e.g as there are no horses around anyway. I hoped not to fight wars other than the planned one on Japan and build my core cities strong and prosperous.

Wars on Japan
After repositioning my immortals I declared on Japan in 90 AD, I forgot to give them republic so all their cities shrink to size 1 quickly. I managed to capture the biggest ones though and in the peace deal in 70 AD got Nagasaki (which has Ivory). We will be back, they are no threat anymore. I rushed several settlers to ICS the jungle zone and former japanese lands
In 360 I declared on Japan again and wiped them out in two turns, still using my immortals.

Rome
Oh, in 10 BC I found the last Roman city, which managed to see the new millenium before Rome was wiped out in 10 AD.

Other Civs
I met the other civs in 230 BC as a galley made it, they were still very much in the AA, and only one of them being scientific I decided against gifting them, I might win 4 turns towards space but have a harder time fighting them.

In 310 AD I managed to squeeze in a city on the other continent right between spain and england, having horses. Spanish troops immediately flocked towards this town and they declared in two or three turns. I had rushed walls and a spear or musket and killed off the first wave, also signed up the english and Iroqouis.

This war was very uneventfull as I built up forces and researched towards MT, while the spanish tried to fend off the english and Iro’s. Over the courseof two hun dred years I slowly worker towards Sevilla with my Immortals to capture the incense there, a feat accomplished in 530 A.D. in the same turn we entered the I.A.

All in all pretty uneventful, I should have jumped the palace much earlier maybe to have a second core (after roman war in AA), but forgot that as I had C3C in mind. I am pretty happy about the tech pace, but not sure I will be able to sustain 4 turn into Modern Age, lots of scientists will be needed for that probably because the core alone is not enough…So a few more wars to wipe out AI’s and “hug the domination limit” are foreseeable

Technology
350 Monotheism
250 Theology
130 Education
10 b.c Banking
90 AD Astronomy
From here on I managed 4 turn R&D
170 Navigation
250 Feudalism
290 Invention
330 Gunpowder
370 Chemistry
410 Physics
450 Magnetism
490 Theory of Gravity
530 Metallurgy, Enter I.A., steam power as a welcome free tech.
Before reseraching any other IA techs I did Military Tradition in 570

Wonders
I did build a couple of wonders aimed at the tech race mainly
GL, Susa 90 AD (pre build ran out, wanted to prevent AI from getting it
Sistine Chapel, 510 AD gordium
Copernicus, 420, Antioch
Leo under construction in Persepolis, Newton under construction in Antioch

Open PTW

I enter the MA in 70BC and get a free Monotheism. This map being continents I’m going to research towards Navigation. I’d manage to trade for Literature with my now departed friends. I used the interbellum to gain as much land and coastal waters possible by founding cities and hurrying libraries.

Upon completing the G-Light in 10BC I send out 6 galleys. After the first turn 4 sank and two went on. Next turn, one reached save waters, the other sank too. I met with the Iroquois who lacked Construction and Currency from the AA. They agreed to buy it for worldmap. The galley met up with everybody and of the MA-techs only Monotheism was known by the Ottomans.

Now that I know everybodies position I can plan for invasion. There is a war between Celts and Ottomans. I start another between Iroquois and England/Spain. The veterans (some 40) from the Roman/Japan-war stay in Japan for invasion of Iroquois. In the southwest I build a new immortal-army and a fleet. In 290AD Navigation is researched and the invasions begin. I only research Feudalism (for Sun Tzu) and Engineering (crossing rivers) afterwards. Then research is shut off.

The taskforce from Japan invades Iroquois and the taskforce from Persia/Rome attacks the Celts. The Celts had just made peace with the Ottomans but are in no position to take on the Persians. I only saw 2 Gaelic Swordsmen. In 460AD I trade for their last city, leaving them with an OCC at the far side of Spain. I continue the war with an attack on the Ottomans. The Ottomans own the G-Wall, but most their cities are above size 6. The first fights are fierce (some 2 dozen swordsmen/spearman against 2 dozen immortals), but slowly I win ground.

The war against Iroqouis starts slow. Spain backs out of the alliance and I’m suffering from Mounted Warrior attacks. But finally I’m gaining the upperhand and in 490AD the Iroquois move on to the eternal huntinggrounds. The war continues by attacking the English. I get 2 MGL’s against the Iroquois, resulting in an army and Sistine’s , and one MGL against England used for Magelhan’s.

In 550AD I’m peaking at some 136 immortals: this is getting obscene. The end must be near now, so I shut of immortal-production. In 570AD it’s all over: domination, 20 hours of play and some 11.377 Jason.
This game was by far my highest scoring one and it was relatively easy to play. The domination victory goal hardly requires any compromising or foreign policy.
At the end some AI had researched Theology and Engineering, but none had Feudalism. So I never had to face another 3-defense unit after the Roman legionaires.

Attachments

• GOTM41.JPG
    GOTM41.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 759
Predator PtW
Ancient Age

I was at war with Rome when entering the MA in 590BC.
A galley had already found the Ottomans and I had traded for all contacts and a complete world map.
Free tech was engineering. Ottomans got feudalism when I gifted them and I immediately traded it.
Then I declared on Ottomans and allied Celts and English.

I decided to clean up the home island and research up to navigation before going to the other continent.
If a leader would have shown up, I would have rushed the Lighthouse and rethought the situation, but no luck.

Rome was out of the game by 490BC and the immortals started the long march to Japan. In the same year the palace was jumped into the city of Rome.

The first Japanese city was captured in 410BC and the war progressed slowly but steadily until Japan was gone in 90BC.

Navigation was researched in 110BC already so it was time to set up an invasion force for Ottomans.
I didn't want to march all the immortals back from Japan, so I rushed also some caravels there, which would go for a second beachhead in England.

In 30BC Antalya was captured giving access to horses.
I had researched chivalry by that time, so soon some knights would reinforce the Ottoman campaign.
A leader showed up in 70AD and rushed Sun Tsu in Edirne.
The first attack on England failed so the second beachhead in Newcastle took until 170AD.
The last Ottoman city fell in 280AD, while the immortals also slowly progressed in England.

Then I made my usual mistake to give in to my cavalry addiction and researched MT before the final push.
Only in 300AD I started on the Celts autrazing 3 cities and capturing Entremont.
Even with cavalry it took until 400AD to eliminate the celts, because of the amount of jungle around.
England was reduced to 1 city by that time.
I then made a quick finish capturing one spanish and one iroquois town for domination in 440AD.

I somehow lost the focus on victory condition in this game and did a little bit of all, rushed a lot libraries and settlers, researched more than necessary.
So domination or conquest could have been quite a bit earlier when really concentrating on military builds.

PTW Open

After I finished of the Romans, I decided to research at max. for Astronomy to start the invasion of the other continent. The Japanese were weak and I could conquer them at any time, but at this moment they had mostly size one cities and I didn't want to autoraze them.
Here you see my invasion fleet ready just before the research of astronomy and the finishing of the great lighthouse.

War at the other continent made good progress. The Ottomans defended mostly with spearmen. I continued to research navigation and the feudalism and chivalry. One primary target were the ottoman horses. I connected them and rushed a harbour to be able to build horsemen and later knights at the home continent.

In the meantime I started also to eliminate the Japanese. Progress throughout the whole war was swift, most of the cities were lightly defended. I only saw a few pikes and 2 knights throughout the whole game.

I forgot to open a thrid front ot get to the Spanish quicker. This costed me about 5 turns, but nevertheless, I am quite happy with my conquest victory of 530 AD.

This was a fun game. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks Ainwood for the interesting map and game!

GOTM 41
Player: Grogs
Class: Open
Version: PTW 1.27f

Going for 20K Culture.

I entered the MA in 150 AD, having received the last couple of techs in the peace negotiations from the Roman war. A bit of trading drew me the 2 government techs and a couple of Roman workers. I waited 4 turns while Pasargadae (20K) completed the heroic epic, then we revolted and installed the new Persian Republic in 300 AD.

WAR!: I had almost convinced myself I should just play nice for the rest of the game and focus on infrastructure when a moment of extreme clarity hit me: Samurai+No horses on continent = Very BAD News. Luckily for me, the Japanese have been at war with Rome since 900 BC and show no sign of letting up. They send, on average, 2-3 archers/swords per turn against the elite legionaries in the last Roman city (Pompeii). This also leaves a very long chain (~20) of Japanese units strewn out through my territory as the advance on Pompeii. They should be easy to defeat in detail when the fighting starts. I begin making Japanese invasion plans in 510 AD. Scores of workers hack 2 roads through the jungles and 6 cities are built, allowing for a quick strike on Japanes iron. Just as my plans are nearing completion, Japan does something unexpected: They manage to wipe out the Romans! Japanese forces turn around and start heading for home, so I must strike now!

In 720 AD, after Emperor Tokugowa refuses my perfectly reasonable demand for his WM+25gpt I declare war. The Japanese forces strung out in my territory are quickly defeated with minimal losses. Luckily for me, the Japanese seem to invested most of their military budget into their navy (~25 galleys), so I am able to push through their territory quickly. By 760 AD, I control all of their iron. The Japanese actually *used* those ships a little bit, capturing Herat and Rome, but they are quickly retaken. In 840 AD, the last Japanese Emperor is killed (His last words? Arrrgh!) and I have the continent all to myself. After the Japanese were gone, I set about the task of ICSing the jungle and former Japanese lands to support my 'peaceful' defense forces.

There goes the neighborhood!: In 680 AD, I finally managed to get a suicide galley across the ocean. The new world was discovered and by 690 AD, I had met all 5 civs on the other continent.

Technology: I picked up 3 MA techs (Invention, Chivalry, Gunpowder) thanks to the GL. Other than that, it was mostly self research with a few trades for optionals. Because Pasargadae needed to be producing a wonder at all times, I had to keep the research pace quite brisk. I did slow up as much as I could researching education, but I never did get another free tech out of it. I ended up researching Education myself and killing my GL. After that, I beelined along the top path, trading with the AI's for the techs in the bottom path.

150 AD: Feudalism (Free tech)
490 AD: Monotheism (Researched)
580 AD: Theology (Researched)
670 AD: Engineering (Researched)
690 AD: Invention, Chivalry (GL)
700 AD: Gunpowder (GL)
~820 AD: Education (Researched :( )
890 AD: Astronomy (Researched)
920 AD: Chemistry (Trade)
930 AD: Music Theory (Researched)
970 AD: Banking (Researched)
1010 AD: Economics (Researched)
1060 AD: Physics (researched)
1090 AD: Metallurgy (Trade)
1100 AD: Theory of Gravity (Researched)
1140 AD: Magentism (Researched)
1140 AD: Steam Power (Free Tech)
1170 AD: Military Tradition (Trade - IA)
1220 AD: Navigation (Trade - IA)
1385 AD: Printing Press (Researched - IA)
1405 AD: Democracy (Researched - IA)
1425 AD: Free Artistry (Researched - IA)

Pasargadae (20K) Builds:

210 AD: Heroic Epic
310 AD: Colosseum
650 AD: Sistine Chapel
660 AD: Cathedral
890 AD: Copernicus's Observatory
920 AD: University
930 AD: JS Bach's Cathedral (MGL Rush)
1200 AD (Estimated): Newton's University (Due in 6 at the beginning of IA.)

Pasargadae seems to be coming along nicely. I haven't been fighting too much or really trying to farm GL's, so the finish date won't be particularly exciting. Still, I do still have some peaceful builder in me and seeing on of my cities grow like Pasargadae has grown makes happy.

Pasargadae (20K) in 1120 AD.

Minimap of my empire in 1140 AD

Bah

Much to slow i see looking around
I've now given up just before the industrial age, behind in tech and the attempt made at the second continent being steamrolled by balkan dragoons. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

[PTW] - Open

At the end of the Ancient Age, I was in the middle of a war with Rome that had started in 370BC.

By 10BC, I had captured or eliminated all the Roman cites on the mainland. I had built my first galley shortly after the beginning of the MA. I rushed 2 more in the east to begin the invasion of the Roman island. As the war with Rome started to wind down, I had redirected all my production north. I had sufficient unit in the east and I wanted to prepare for the leap across the jungle toward Japan. By this time I had build up 10 immortals in my northernmost cities.

While it took until 250AD for me to eliminated the last Roman city, I was not totally idle. I had continued to build Immortals, if at a little slower pace. I had more than half my 42 Immortals across the jungle and/or next to several Japanese cities.

I stated the war with Japan in 290AD. As I clean out the Japanese, I had work gangs following building roads I captured the last Japanese city in 410AD. In 390AD, a galley from my west coast found the Ottomans after two turns at sea. I rapidly traded around getting all contacts and maps. I kept mine to myself. Having found the other continent, I saw that the shortest route was from my SW coast towards the Ottoman. I started preparing by building galleys and marching my immortals to the coast. I didn't negelect fill my continent. I was build galleys or settlers almost everywhere. Cash rushing where I could.

My first thought was to wait for Navigation to continue my expansion. The gap would require 2 mid-ocean relays which would be extremely costly. In the end, I decided not wait. By 580 AD, I had assembled an armada of 21 galleys with about 50 of 57 Immortals standing by waiting to be transported. In 590AD, with my two relays positioned (each starting with 6 galleys), I declared war on the Ottomans and allied all the other civs against him. I wanted to encourage him to move his spare units north away from his core.

I then moved 4 loads of units across to safe water off the coast. My first target was a city next to horses. By 630AD, I pretty much exhausted my supply of galleys. I had transported about 16 units. I was extremely lucky the first few turns. My counts of galleys was 21, 19, 17, 15, 11, and 4. By that time, I had finished education and was 4 turns from Astronomy. I had captured two cities and had 14 Immortals and 1 Pikeman on the other continent. With Astronomy and Navigation so close I didn't try to rush galleys to replace my loses.

The Ottomans were probably not the best target. They were a cultural monster and had the Great Wall and pikemen. Combine slow moving Immortals and the need to both heal outside the cities and keep a unit or two near each city to ward off flips, you can see my conquest was going to take a long time.

I finished Astronomy and Navigation in 4 turns each, in 670AD and 720AD respectively. Meanwhile, I had captured two more cities including Sogut (with GLib and Oracle) and a MGL in a galley waiting for safe transport home. I wanted to do a place jump, but I had not built the FP. So the first order of business was transport Darius home to do that near the capitol. I also needed to build a habor to get horses back to my productive core.
Of my the 50 Immortals and 2 Pikemen I had marshalled for transport, I had lost 11 and still had 27 to transport. But with upgrades of my existing galleys to Carvels and new contruction, I planned to take care of that. By 780AD, I had the 6 of them on the way and had turned back on production of Immortals. My plans to build a habor we still unfullfilled due to resisters. The risk of flips was just too high to station MPs to deal with it. In 820AD, I finally produced a habor in a city that had flip enough times to reduce the pop to only 1. I immediately converted immortal production to Knights and rush the first 5 the following turn.

By 950AD, I had captured the next to the last Ottoman city leaving them with one city on a small pennisula north of the jungles. Since war weariness was beginning to be a big problem, I gave them peace. (My closest unit were 5 turns away and were blocked an Iroquois spearman. That didn't work out too well as the next turn two cities flipped back. So I had to break the peace treaty and take them back. It took me until 1010AD to march a few units through jungle and mountains and take the last Ottoman city.
960AD was also the year I researched Military Traditon and turned off research. I switch production to Cavalry upgraded my knights. I had continued to produce settlers to fill in territory gaps and was shipping the to the other continent as fast as I could. Iwas also rushing Libraries in any city where it would increase my territory. I went from 97 cities (46%) in 960AD to 105 (53%) in 1010AD. There were a lot of coastal tiles I hadn't expanded to get. I probably would have scored higher had I done something about them earlier.

A few turns later, in 1040AD, I started my final push to domination by declaring on the Celts. The Ottoman had reduced them to only 3 cities. Everything that could move was walking, slowly through the jungles. I auto-razed a Spanish city in 1060AD along the way. (I allied the English and Iroquois against the Spanish to keep them busy.)

I took the first Spanish city in 1080AD, bring me to 117 cities (62%). It took me until 1140AD to acquire enough territory to pass the domination limit.

I came up short of a 10K score once again. There were many opportunities to shave a few turns off my date or increase my territory quicker. The early war didn't help. All in all a very enjoyable game. I will be interested in seeing how others dealt with the lack of early horses and all the jungle along the way.

MA Research
130 AD - Engineering
350 AD - Invention
390 AD - Monarchy (Trade)
420 AD - Monotheism
510 AD - Chivalry
570 AD - Theology
620 AD - Education
670 AD - Astronomy
720 AD - Navigation
800 AD - Gunpowder
850 AD - Chemistry
900 AD - Metallurgy
960 AD - Military Tradition

Like I mentioned in the first spoiler thread, this was my first GOTM. I have a problem generally with not focusing on one victory condition. I had crushed the Japanese and Romans somewhere around the 0AD mark and was building up my culture. Shortly thereafter I made contact with the other continent and found I was pretty far ahead. I basically just made tons of money trading off my luxury goods while I focused on building up culture. I made a stupid mistake towards the end of the game. I never really hurried the United Nations as much as I could have (i.e., by building it in my most-productive city), instead focusing on space race. This cost me probably a hundred years or so. I was actually pretty close to launching when I completed the UN and had the election. Because i had been selling goods so long to everyone, never been at war with any of the civs on the other continent, and they had never had contact iwth the romans or japanese, I won in a landslide in 1792. Score was 3569/4790. I guess I'm just happy that I got a victory in my first attempt. I know there were tons of places for improvement, though. Focusing on one victory condition (the right one, next time!) would have made a huge difference.

I enter MA in 470BC. The goal is milking. Middle Ages is mostly about expansion, but also with an eye on research and building improvements like marketplaces and libraries.

Research
Get Monotheism as free tech. Research Theology in 5 (350BC), Education in 8 (170BC), Astronomy in 7 (30BC), Navigation in 8 (130AD). Turn off research some turns to rush harbors. Engineering discovered in 230AD (4 turns). Invention discovered in 280AD (5 turns). For the rest of MA I have 4 turn research and reach Industrial Age in 560AD.

Warfare
I get my first GL against Romans in 190BC after numerous elite wins. I rush the Great Lighthouse to have free access to other continent.

The continent is totally mine around 70BC when I remove the last trace of Roman culture. I start my first overseas wars by attacking Ottomans in 30BC. They have incense and wine that I want.

In 130AD I give Ottomans peace for a split second just so I can trade for their free tech Feudalism. I turn off research for a couple of turns to get money to rush a harbor. I have a couple of new world luxes that I want to share with the mainland. Keep'em happy.

After about a million other elite wins I get a second leader in 330AD. I build FP on Ottoman soil. BTW I I destroyed the ottomans by mistake, the only other scientific civ. Arghhh!! The leaders come in clusters and in 370AD I get a third. I send him back to the home continent to rush Newton's.

After Ottomans it is Celt turn to die and in parallel I have sent a fleet carrying immortals to Spanish lands to get last two lux. In 400AD I have all 8 lux connected.

I got very close to domination limit around 540AD without extreme determination. I stopped producing immortals rather early when I saw upkeep was getting high with 60 bloodhungry nutcases running around. I wanted to keep research reasonably quick and get railroads and hospitals as soon as possible. Difficult to know exactly how to prioritize things, think maybe I should have been more focused on grabbing land earlier, and delay population a little later.

Next steps
Get railroads and hospitals to max population. Will use ToE to get sanitation and replaceable parts.

I didn't take great notes for game after I entered the Middle Ages. But, as I remember it, I moved the Romans off the continent and established a second core around Rome and its Forbidden Palace rushed by my only GL. I pushed a bit into Japan's territory, but basically left them alone. I only sent 2 galleys to find the other continent and met all the Civs. I traded with them to feed by appetite for luxuries, but that's about it. I easily outpaced them on tech, turning most in 4 or 6 turns. Got the wonders I wanted: Leonardo, Smith, etc. Set myself up for a race though the Industrial Ages.

I entered the MA concentrating on building up infrastructure to really build my culture. I also wanted to re-position my military for an assault on the Japanese. I had a big stroke of luck when Japan decided to take on the remaining 2 Roman towns located on the Peninsular. As his forces were concentrated on the peninsular I decided to take advantage and fight a limited war to take some of his borders and do some damage. I managed to force him off the jungle before accepting his kind offer of technology for peace.

As a result I could now trade with the other continent, and duly purchased some Horses. I started building some Knights in preparation for the coming war, and also build the MA wonders in my core cities, my culture was coming along nicely now. I resumed the war against Japan, but it took a while before the stubborn Jap left the continent and was banished to the small island. By the end of the MA I was in control of the entire continent, and getting ready to finish off Japan’s remaining towns on the Island.

My game went almost exactly like Denniz' game, and ended about the same date. Rather than focusing on the Ottomans - who were culturally dominant and also more well disposed to Persia culturally - I went after the Celts first on the western continent first in 520 AD.

The Battle of Entremont was one for the ages. I lost 4 of 10 starting Immortals, 3 to a Gallic Swordsman who will truly be written into the ancient lore of the Irish. Captured Entremont, but received a host of GS in response - they killed 4 more Immortals, leaving me with a scant invasion force - made peace in 590 AD.

Lost a whole bunch of Immortals (10 or so) on suicide galleys. Clearly, this cost me 10-15 turns as I had to eat peace with the Celts. Getting screwed by the RNG gods (one veteran Celtic knight on grass and with 2 hp killed a 4/5 Elite and two 4/4 veteran knights) didn't help either. Finally reduced the Celts to a steaming pile of garbage OCC in 870 AD.

Once I got MT in 830 AD, it was game over. I stopped researching and pummeled the Iroquois from 980 AD- 1080 AD (eliminating them), then pulled an ROP slaughter on the English, taking all but 2 of their cities and hitting the domination limit in 1210 AD. Jason score just below 10,000. By far my best XOTM effort, but clearly capable of improvement.

(1) Sent too few Immortals (8) in my first war on Japan. Cost estimate: 10 turns. Sending 12 immortals would have cost me only 4 more turns of building (in GA) and would have done the trick.

(2) Not GL-rushing Forbidden Palace in Rome. Estimated cost of 10 turns due to lost productivity.

(3) Science mistake - not making B-Line to Navigation. (10 turns wasted)

(4) Not going right to Republic - Monarchy was largely a waste and cost me a 7 turn anarchy. Ugh. (15 turns wasted).

Other than that, I thought I played pretty well. My continuing problem is being too passive and only attacking other civs when I have a clear advantage (Immortals vs. Spears, Cav vs. Pikes or Muskets). Need to just get better numbers and attack in greater quantities.

Also, my core cities could have used a little help in turns of shield production. Will have to study to figure that one out.

Civ3 1.29 Open

I'm going for a Cultural victory.

I did not expect to enter the Industrial Ages in this game, but I made into it in 1170ad.

After reaching the Middle Ages in 610bc I quickly researched towards Education (390bc) and then switched off science. Around the same time I started my GA. The Romans were not a big threat and the Japanese were easily destroyed too. By 170ad the continent was mine.

I made a phony war with the Spanish and got a city (Sinop) in the peace deal. I built some more cities in that area after this...

This was possible because Spain and Ottomans were at war for almost the entire game and they totally neglected cultural buildings in most of their cities..

At a certain point the Keltoi attacked me, and I was forced to research Navigation. I brought the spanish and the ottomans to fight with me and quickly the keltoi were destroyed. And as a result, I got more land to settle :cool:

In 1050ad I realised that by no way I could get the cultural victory 1 turn early, so I started researching again, and in 12 turns I got Physics, Magnetism and Theory of Gravity and entered the IA in 1170ad.

My culture at this date:

:D

open, going for 20K

nothing special. eliminate Roman and Japan and started a war on the other continent while doing everything I can to grab all the wonders in the culture city.
i'll post the culture building date in the final spoiler.

below is a very bad note i kept. it's the first time for me to keep notes. i find it helpful in slowing down the game and so that i can make better decisions; it does take part of the fun of the game away from me since i cannot be totally absorbed into the game. :)

420AD, two immortals died of disease.

440 AD, met Celts and Ottomas, I finish the great light house, it isn’t very useful since its culture value is only 2. but it does seem to help my suicidal galley. All my galleys sank before its construction while all survived in ocean after it.
Entered the MA due to the great library. Got engineering as the free tech. Ottomas has monotheism.
After a round of trading, everyone’s treasury is depleted. But all AI were really poor to start with.  only Otmmas is on par with me tech-wise. All other are way behind. The AI on the other contient don’t even have literature. :p no wonder the slow pace.

I am thinking about waging a way against Ottomas together with Celts and England, since they’re the tech leader besides me. But I’m afraid that may make it stronger since Celts seems to be weak and England is separated from Ottomas by the giant jungle. I, of course, won’t be of much a help…
But I did it anyway.  figuring I’m in Monarchy and they’re in republic.  England and Celts didn’t ask for much and gladly went to war with me against Ottomas.

and also Iraquois… it seems everyone is waiting for a way and all they need is a push, or a map. 

I would really like to hear other’s thoughts about how many allies are necessary…. To slow down tech pace.

560 AD, discover theology. Traded to England for 32gpt. The same turn forbidden city finished in culture city. Leader rushed the Sistine Chapel.
Research education, due in 6 turns at 90%

640AD. Roman destroyed

Palace jump 660AD
Before: from city 386, -246 science, -140 corruption, -58 unit costs
After: from city 375, -246 science, -129 corrutpion, -53 maintenance

The new palace city isn’t far away from the forbidden city and is by no means an ideal jump. But since the all the old cities having libraries, market can benefit from such a short jump, I decided to do it anyway.

700AD, my elite immortal walked into Japanese capitol. :o they must know that I’m fishing for great leaders and so didn't even use a warrior to defend it!!!!!
760AD, destroyed Japan. Unfortunately no great leader generated, which was the purpose of the war.

800 AD. Built Corpenecuis observatory. Traded astronomy to England for 42 pgt and 63 gold and invention; traded to Ottomas for 18 gpt. All the AI seem to be very poor.
I decide to wage more war to get more leaders. It’s just too slow to build the wonders brick by brick.

I decided to research navigation so that I can reach the other continent to get more great leaders. Chivalry isn’t researched yet and I guess since I’ll be fishing for leaders, immortal with attack 4 will be as capable as knights.

820 AD research printing press, 70% due in four turn
started to rush caravel to send my 49 immortal troops to the celts land. Since I’m the only one who has astronomy and navigation, I don’t even need to defend my homeland.

850AD landed several elite immortal on celts land, glad to find they only have spearmen

Open, PTW, 20K

My middle ages were helped along by 3 culture flips to me, one of which was the only city where Rome had iron connected. They did eventually get another source connected, but it was too late then.

Wars:
In 310 AD I declared on Japan. In 1030 AD I finished them off. They were never very powerful, and I took them out slowly, farming for leaders. Evidently the northern lands weren't very fertile, as I didn't get any.

In 630, after Rome loses its iron, I declared on Rome. Here I do get a GL, on defence when an immortal on a mountain deep in Roman territory is attacked by zillions of units. He survives 4 or 5 attacks before creating the GL and 2 or 3 more, but he dies long before its my turn again. I take a few cities and then make peace. 2 turns later, though, Rome declares on me, just because I ask them to move their troops out of my territory. This time I take all their continental cities and get an island city in the peace deal.

In 1020 England declares on me and razes a city on the other continent. I ally everyone else against them and then ignore them for a while.

Culture:
Pasargadae builds:
Sistine Chapel (420 AD)
Cathedral (460 AD)
University (540 AD)
Copernicus' Observatory (740 AD)
Bach's Cathedral (1010 AD)
I got three more middle age wonders during the industrial ages, so wonder-wise the middle ages went okay. I didn't do a good job with the cathedral and university, though. I dilly-dallied on learning education in hopes of getting something useful from the great library, learning printing press first, but delaying the university wasn't a good idea. Despite this, I've got a win date before 1950 when I leave the middle ages. Considering my lack of leaders, I'm reasonably happy. Usually I blame my lack of leaders on my lack of war, but I was at war constantly here, and I remained focussed on getting easy elite wins. This game was just unlucky. (In a conquests game I'm playing during this same time period, I'm getting leaders all over the place, including 2 in 1 turn, just 2 attacks apart. I'd have rather had the luck switched.)

Vanilla civ, open class

With changed plans, going for the total destruction. So war, war, and some more war.

I did not reach the Industrial ages in this game. In fact, I only researched three MA techs, wich were feodalism (to get Sun Tzu's) and Engineering (to pass rivers faster) and Chivalry (to speed up the last phases of the war).

After finding the other continent with my second suicide galley, I noticed, thet with the Great Lighthouse, it was possible to cross the sea safely with galleys. So, after getting a GL from our war with the romans, I rushed the Lighthouse and startet to rush galleys.

Immortals, cheap as they are, were being built several each turn, so I started to sail them to the other continent as fast as I could. And as I got them over, I fought with them. First the Celts, then the Ottomans, then England, Spain and finally Iroques.

There's not much to report about the war, but that I was very slow. The Immortals of course, were literally immortal, as they were fighting against spears. Jet I felt that I needed to have very much of them before advancing, so pretty much destroyed one enemy at the time (with some exceptions) and that really slowed me down. Finally I captured the last Iroques city in 640 AD and achieved a Conquest victory.

Being my first military victory in Gotm, I can't say that I'm dissatisfied, but on the other hand I feel, that It could have been done quite a bit much faster. Anyway, the score was wery nice, much higher than whet I have been used to. Also when I started to play Gotms I thought that it would be nice to first try to achive one of each victory type, and before I already submitted Space, Diplo, 20k and 100k, so after this I need to win by domination, and that goal is reached.

Thanks for the staff for another very nice game. I enjoyed it very much.

Conquest victory 640 AD
Firaxis score 7159
Jason score 11040

1.29 [civ3mac] Open still going for 20K

First post is here. Ancient Age 4000BC - 190AD

Contacts
210AD we met the Ottomans, 250AD the Keltoi. The backward bunch gave contacts and wm for some out-dated tech.

Wars (1)
The war against Rome ended with their destruction 270AD. Since some turns, most of our forces already started to move north towards Japan.
The Japanese war started 350AD and our immortals conducted a fast and furious massacre. The final fighting on the mainland produced Great Leader Darius 640AD, who built an army. Next turn, the immortal army wins and enables Heroic Epic. The last Japanese settlement on the eastern island is destroyed 670AD. No contact was ever made between Japan and the other continent tribes.

Research
In order to get to the other continent, I researched towards navigation, which I learned 540AD. But there was no harbor on the backward continent. In-between education voided the Great Library, which did not give a single tech; the AIs were busy fighting each other.

Wars (2)
Immediately on contact, I started to instigate permanent wars among the AIs to keep them busy and slow in tech. This worked very nice. In 700AD 4 pikes, 3 catapults, and 8 immortals landed next to Antalya, capturing the city with horses next turn. Resistors were quelled, harbor hurried, and 740AD we started to build horsemen. In 830AD Great Leader Cyrus appears to hurry a Great Wonder. After building 23 horsemen, chivalry was learned and our knights finished the Ottomans 880AD.

Next on the menu were the Keltoi. Now fighting was motivated more by getting Great Leaders than by fast progress. Catapults (later cannons) were used to weaken the victims, before our elite knights and immortals attacked. This gave 5 more Great Leaders, i.e. 5 more Great Wonders hurried. :D

20k Pasargadae
The city got a great push. I always planned to have enough cash for hurrying non-Wonder builds.
290AD Forbidden Palace
300AD cathedral
610AD Sistine
620AD university
720AD Heroic Epic
930AD Shakespeares's
940AD Bach's
980AD Sun Tzu's
1010AD Copernicus's
1070AD Newton's​
The Iroquois got The Great Lighthouse 850AD, 3 turns before us. Leonardo's was built in Persepolis 930AD to break the AI builds and prevent a cascade.

PS: 20K target date is roughly 1800AD.

tao said:
1.29 [civ3mac] Open still going for 20K
PS: 20K target date is roughly 1800AD.

Oh, :mad: :king: it seems my humber quest for 20k award is again just a dream. i feel i had a better start but didn't get as many GL as you did. i got 4 in total and 3 of them hurried wonders. i don't remember my exact finish date, it's before 1850AD but after 1800AD.

Predator and
Ancient Age Conquest (AAC, see rules here )

I did not plan to play GOTM41 because of RL schedule. But, I had a few free evenings at the end of March and I decided to spend them for GOTM41 even if I won’t finish it. I did not keep notes, I did not do any micromanagement and I did a lot of mistakes during the game (including forgetting to move lux slider and overrunning tech expenses).
Since I played in a rush I decided to make everything primitive and went for ACC. I own all my continent in earliers AD, and when both Japaneese and Romans were eliminated I found myself in a stupid situation of being along , knowing nothing in terms of geography and tech. It took a few suicidal galleys to find a second continent. When I found it I started a war with Celts who were in a war with two or three other civs, later I did ROP abuse towards Ottomans and wars against England and Spain. Below is a growth of my ignorant (I never researched construction) civilzation.

Interestingly it was my second attempt to play AAC and it was a second time my Jason score was over 11K. Though, I am sure it is a coincident. This game was the easiest game since COTM5, when I made my first AAC attempt. I am sure we will have a solid 11K club for this game.

The biggest problem in this game was unit support, I had way too many immortals (shouldn’t produce that many, I was not able to use most of them anyway).
It was my fastest game in terms of RL time, but it is not a match for our masters of fast playing, just a personal achivement.

Top Bottom