UPCOMING MOD! Julius Caesar's Campaign in Gaul

Saturn6

Emperor Caesar
The year is 59 B.C, and you, Caesar have just gained the provinces of Cisapline Gaul, Transapline Gaul, and Illrycricum. The Helvetii are moving onto ROman territory and it is your duty to destroy them. After removing this threat, gather strength, before embarking on a Campaign that will make you reknowned thorughout the Roman World. Conquer Gaul, Germany, and Briton, and your name will surely become legend. For the Senate and the Roman People!

The latest edition of the map: (3.01) Map edition 3.0 removed after 261 views

Attachments

• Roman Gaul.zip
    66.2 KB · Views: 533
very cool; much of the needed stuff has been made already, and has been availible for quite a while; even the units in reguler civ lend themselves well, as the legionary, while not accurate for one of ceasars day, is almost "classic Caesarian" as its based off all those paintings of legionaries, and centurians, one finds in reanaissnace, and neoclassical art depicting Caesar. I can help, hopefully.

Here's what we're looking at for Units:
(Those Units that appear in italics are ones that will be custom-made)

Caesar's Army (Complete)
Centurion 2.3.1 Zone of Control, detect invisible - Crested Legionary by Kinboat
Legionary 4.4.2 Bebro's Late Republican Soldier
X Legion 7.7.2 Produced by wonder- Imperial Legionary by Kinboat
Gallic Allies 3.3.2 No penalties on Forests - Zulu's Roman Pikeman
Trieme 3.2.2 - Aaglo's Roman Trieme
Auxilary 4.3.1 - Aaglo's Roman Archer

Helveti (Complete)
Wagon Cart 0.0.3 Settles- LabMonkey's Wagon Settler
Spear Warband 2.2.3- Mr Will's Euro-Spear Line

Nervii (Complete)
Swordsman 5.2.1 - Chuchulainn by Kinboat
Beserker 6.1.1 - Scottish Warrior by Kindred72

Ubii (Complete)
German Calvary 5.2.3 No penalties crossing forests - Mounted Rohirrim by UtahJazz7

Germans
Dismounted Cavalry 4.1.2
German Warriors 3.3.1 - Beserk by Aluminium

British Tribes
War Chariot 4.3.3 - Etruscan War Chariot by Bebro
Hunters 3.3.1 Invisible, Treat All Terrain as road
Tidal Wave 8.8.3

Gallic Tribes (Complete)
Gallic Warriors 2.3.1- Gallic Swordsman
Gallic Calvary 3.2.2 - Bebro's Roman Auxulia Cavalry
Tribal Warrior 3.1.1- Kinboat's Belgian Resistor
Gallic Tracker 0.0.3 Treats all terrain as road - Scout
Bowmen 4.1.2- Bowmen

Venetii (Complete)
Warship 3.4.3 - Merchant Ship
Heavy Warship 4.5.2 - Sloop3 by Orthanc
Frigate 2.1.4 - Medieval Galley

Avernii (Complete)
Pillager 4.3.2 Treats all terrian as road - Beserk
Verc. Guards 3.5.1 - Kinboat's Germanic Spearman

Saturn6 said:
Velites 2.1.2 Has bombard ability
Hastiae 4.1.3 - Bebro's Early Republican Soldier
Principes 3.2.3 Extra hitpoint
Triarii 2.4.1 2 extra hitpoints -Bebro's Late Republican Soldier

Why do you have these units? Caesar's time was a while after the Marian reforms.

Well jobiwan, the game becomes a lot duller, when there is only one unit. Also, it will be a cool experience, using the manipular formation. This would prove to be the roman army's mainstay for quite some time. This means that you cannot pump out a unit, and have a "stack of death". It requires you to harness your prowness as a military general, to defeat the Gauls- just like Caesar did.

Have you read "Caesars legion- the history of Legion X"

That book has a fair bit on Gaul and also the repulse of the Helveti migration/invasion

It did suggest that the Helveti used large spear warbands........ a barb spearman unit maybe??

@jobiwan- Yes, I just don't know which unit to use..but I suppose I should've added that to the list, to let you know.
@James I- I haven't, but I'll look into it. I'll use the spearman instead, it is historicaly accurate, and would allow for a good looking unit.

Caesar III, interesting...I own that game, I they do have some good graphics. Thanks for looking into it.
@ Jobiwan, also, in addition to the auxilary, there is the gallic allies, which serve as the auxilary. However, having a base unit auxilary allows for us to demonstrate the great variety the roman army had, soldierwise.

A question for the group:
Should there just be the Gallic Tribes listed above, or should, there be more tribes. Personally, I believe there should be more, but I am interested about what othere people think about the matter. Also, I believe, that since Julius Caesar couldn't capture Britain, and Germany, I believe, that if a player does maintan control of these two areas, that they should get quite alot of VP. However, it'll be balanced out by how many troops you have to use to gain control of these areas. I am looking forward to people's suggestions.

I encountered a German Spearman, or something of the sort, about a week ago, and thought that it would work well as the Helvetii's Spear Warband Unit. I have tried looking for it again, and have not been able to find it. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would allow me to have the unit covered. As I look at how the game should start off, and the territories assigned to civs, I think it looks good. As Caesar, you have currently 3 provinces, Illyricum, Cisapline Gaul, and Transalpine Gaul, which you grabbed because the governor of that province recently died. With a relatively small force, you must halt the Helvetii advancement into Roman Territory, and destroy them. How does that sound? Caesar just has those 3 areas, with the SPQR, controlling all other provinces that Rome held at the time. AN alternative, would be to have each ROman province a civ, and thus Caesar could call on them for reinforcements, from time to time. My ear is opened to suggestions.

My advice would be to not add anything; be it a civ, city, or otherwise, unless necessary or interesting. Reason being loading times and waiting times. If you can include Germany and Britain on a map without making it too large, or too full of cities, by all means go ahead and add them. Britain would certainly be an interesting addition. IIRC the Atrebates (I think it was them) migrated to Britain after the destruction of the Arverni Confederation, and the Belgae revolted when a serious expedition against Britain was eventually mounted. I reckon that you should probably leave all non-Caesarean provinces as just Rome SPQR, and include the major tribes and players only.

The reinforcement idea, how would one ensure they would provide them???
Unless that was fixed, i would be against CPU allied troops!!!!

Will the Romans be able to have the Gallic Cav that Caesar used as a bodyguard as a special unit??? maybe just one special one.....

Yeah guys, I worked on adding Roman cities to the map. I'll upload soon, but since I'm don't have enough time to do it, I'll do it then. IT probably has some errors, but I'm expecting that. Once I have the map up, I'll be listening for fixes I should make. FOr sources, I used Tacitus' Annals of Imperial Rome, and Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

James I, could you get me some more information on those special bodyguards?
I realize that Gibbon starts later, but I used a map in the back to give me reference.
If a wonder produces a certain type of unit, and that wonder is captured by another civ, that doesn't have the ability to produce that unit, will the wonder still produce a unit? On the map, I only did Italy, and a small amount on Greece and Spain. And when I'm ready to post it, what is the best way to do so? I'll try to find the units for the Gallic tribes, by the end of the week, and I'm constantly searching for the units to use for the Venetii.

I will get my book back from a friend and post some detail here....

Top Bottom