Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION III > Civ3 - Creation & Customization > Civ3 - Unit Graphics

Notices

Civ3 - Unit Graphics This forum contains all unit related files: unit images and animations.
Do NOT post unit requests in here.

Old Mar 30, 2005, 04:15 PM   #1
Orthanc
Shipwright

Thumbs up New Unit: East Indiaman

It's done!

Apologies for the horendous delay/ production time, I had a few issues with basic format that I wanted to have fixed with this unit. I FINALLY got the sails a little "dirtier" for this one, and the alignment is pretty much dead on. The death animation also makes it make this thing look like its made out of wood rather than lead while sinking.

I'm also attaching (hopefuly) my first animated preview along with the standard civilopedia pic.

As far as the next unit goes, there was a request for a type of Longboat, hopefully that shouldn't take ling (I know I said that about this too but meh), then I'm doing the Titanic (finally). After that one of two things will happen:
1) I'll stop making boats to do The Highwind and Metal Gears once and for all
2) I'll do a few more boat requests then move on to option 1

Which one happens depends on what I feel like doing after the Titanic is done.

Anywho, here's da file:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/East_Indiaman1.zip

Note: The spelling issue in the ini file has been corrected, if you downloaded the unit before April 1, 2005 either download again and paste it over the old version or just manually fix the ini. The mistake is pointed out on a post near the bottom of the thread.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EIndianmanRun.gif
Views:	1971
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	86033  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp East Indiaman.bmp (192.1 KB, 1261 views)

Orthanc's Units, Orthanc's To-Do List, Orthanc's Creation Thread, The POV Ray Tutorial Thread
Orthanc's Blog aka: why I'm on an extended hiatus

Last edited by Orthanc; Apr 01, 2005 at 03:01 PM.
Orthanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Bjornlo
Deity

Looks nice. A good unit.
Just a comment on the sails... they look better.. but the shadow has a slightly odd effect.. they look see through. I would suggest a yellow to yellow brown gradient on the sails.
---------------------------------------------------
I had amnesia once - maybe twice.
Bjornlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 04:36 PM   #3
GRM7584
King

Eeeeeeeextroardinary. If'n I should happen to patch Colonize any time soon, it shall be placed therein, so as though it might go to good use. Verily.
GRM7584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 05:06 PM   #4
Ares de Borg
Norman Knight

OMG! My wish has been granted! Thank you!!
Ares de Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Mithadan
Wandering Woodsman

That is a beautiful ship!

-----

"I'm not a fan of censoring history." -- gorn
Mithadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 09:28 PM   #6
Goldflash
Grumpy Old Man

Actually Orthanc, that unit wasn't very slow. It was about average. Don't let aaglo fool you, Unit making is hard.

That said, this unit is very well made? Whats next for you? another sailing ship, or are you going to try something esle?
Old Mar 30, 2005, 09:52 PM   #7
TopGun
258 kills

She's a beaut... ye ship!
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:03 PM   #8
GRM7584
King

My spider senses tell me that Orthanc will probably do a longboat next, then the Titanic, then possibly either more wooden ships, or The Highwind and Metal Gears once and for all.
GRM7584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:23 PM   #9
aaglo
Furioso!

That's a fine looking ship

BTW, is that intentional, that the banners in the top of the two main masts are flying foward, and the flag in the mizzane mast is flying backwards?
It's not an optical illusion - it only looks like it...
aaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 01:35 AM   #10
Rob (R8XFT)
Ancient Briton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRM7584
My spider senses tell me that Orthanc will probably do a longboat next, then the Titanic, then possibly either more wooden ships, or The Highwind and Metal Gears once and for all.
Hopefully he will do the Lodya (Kievan Rus longboat) .

The East Indiaman is looking excellent, Orthanc !!
Old Mar 31, 2005, 08:39 AM   #11
Ares de Borg
Norman Knight

One more time: Thank you. This one turned out great. One minor thing though: The Dutch also had East Indiamen (those of the VOC), maybe this should be taken reference to in the Civiliopedia text. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_East_India_Company
Old Mar 31, 2005, 09:53 AM   #12
Snorken
Emperor

Very nice, Orthanc!
Snorken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 02:26 PM   #13
Orthanc
Shipwright

It is intentionally like that aaglo, and I know it defies physics (its something that normally irritates me when all the flags point the wrong way on sailing ships) but its to prevent the flag behind the mizzen mast from flapping through the mizzen sail, which is a far greater insult to the laws of physics.

Seeing as the demand is more for wooden vessels at the moment, Longboat seems best thing to do. Some more images and perhaps civilopedia info would be good to get. Speaking of civilopedia, I know the Dutch were also trading in East India, partially why I made the East Indiaman a non-civ-unique-unit in the standard civilopedia entry.

Thanks everyone for the reviews!

Orthanc's Units, Orthanc's To-Do List, Orthanc's Creation Thread, The POV Ray Tutorial Thread
Old Apr 01, 2005, 12:16 PM   #14
Rob (R8XFT)
Ancient Briton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthanc
Seeing as the demand is more for wooden vessels at the moment, Longboat seems best thing to do. Some more images and perhaps civilopedia info would be good to get.

#PRTO_Lodya
^
^
^The [lodya] is a Kievan Rus warship of the ancient era. A lodya must end each turn in a $LINK<coastal=TERR_Coast> square - they are in danger of sinking if they end their turn in a $LINK<sea=TERR_Sea> or $LINK<ocean=TERR_Ocean> square.
If $LINK<The Great Lighthouse=BLDG_Lighthouse> is built, lodyas may safely end turns at sea, but never ocean squares.
#DESC_PRTO_Lodya
^
^
^For long voyages the Kievan Rus built a light, open vessel called a lodya. The Byzantines called it in Greek monoxile because it was made from a single tree, usually the hollowed-out trunk of an oak or linden. Layers of planking were secured to the hull to increase its height and oars were affixed to the planking. A single mast with a square sail made the lodya seaworthy, and it was light enough, when the need arose, for portage. Although it seldom exceeded twenty metres in length, a lodya often held a crew of forty.
^In the ninth century Kievan Grand Prince Oleg, with a fleet of lodyas, launched an attack against Constantinople, called Tsargrad by the Slavs. His victorious campaign proved the might and independence of Kievan Rus. According to the Chronicles, Prince Oleg "hung his shield upon the Gate of Tsargrad" and sailed back to Kiev with the treasures of his conquest.
Old Apr 01, 2005, 12:35 PM   #15
Ares de Borg
Norman Knight

Little correction for the ini-file:

Quote:
[Sound Effects]
BLANK=
DEFAULT=
WALK=
RUN=EIndiamanRun.wav
ATTACK1=EIndiamanAttack.wav
ATTACK2=
ATTACK3=
DEFEND=
DEATH=EIndiamanDeath.wav
DEAD=
FORTIFY=EIndiamanFidget.wav
FORTIFYHOLD=
FIDGET=EIndiamanFidget.wav
VICTORY=EIndiamanFidget.wav
TURNLEFT=
TURNRIGHT=
BUILD=
ROAD=
MINE=
IRRIGATE=
FORTRESS=
CAPTURE=
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
[Version]
VERSION=1
[Palette]
PALETTE=
You missed some "n"... dropped somewhere on the way over the ocean, I guess.
Old Apr 01, 2005, 02:51 PM   #16
Orthanc
Shipwright

Ahh, so I did. I'll edit the first post and attach the corrected file there.

And thank you for the info R8XFT, that'll work perfectly. Just to let you know the hull for this thing is already nearly done.

Old Apr 01, 2005, 02:53 PM   #17
Dom Pedro II
Modder For Life

This... is... hot! Great unit as usual.

One night I dreamt of wondrous things. When I awoke, I made a mod.
Dom Pedro II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2005, 07:03 PM   #18
WS78
Chill moan!

Good golly! Magnificent achievement. Looking forward to your Titanic. Might I suggest an industrial paddle/steamship?
WS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2005, 07:39 PM   #19
Aluminium

Another nice ship. Thanks!
Aluminium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2005, 08:05 PM   #20
Orthanc
Shipwright

Thanks, but as for your request WS78 aaglo has already made two, just check the link to his units in his sig. If you want another version, you might wait a while but send a pic and I'll see what I can do.