Military Great Leaders and their uses

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
Since we will be continuing at war for a bit we should be prepared to handle any Military Great Leaders (MGLs) which might arise from victorious battle. In C3C there are two significant possibilities at this point. MGLs can form armies, and they can rush build any improvement or small wonder. The only small wonder which is available right now is the Forbidden Palace.

If we're lucky enough to get a MGL, should we hold him in reserve until we have enough cities to build the FP, or build an army which will make it easier to acquire the land that will allow us to have more cities?

Armies are powerful in C3C so it's hard to pass one of these up. However, if we get a MGL in our forthcoming war with the Dutch I'd use it either on the Forbidden Palace or on a new Palace.

We've had some discussions on moving our capital to a more central location, although we haven't come to a firm conclusion as to whether we should (opinion seems to lean that way); or more importantly, which city it should be (I'm inclined towards Rotterdam).

We can, alternatively, use the leader to form an army, from which a victory will allow us to build the Heroic Epic, thereby increasing the chances of getting future leaders. This is always something that bugs me when I play my own games. Do you use the MGL to rush the FP, or do you use the MGL to get an army, then the Heroic Epic so you can get more leaders to rush things?

I'd Hand build the FP in Provolutia and use an MGL to move the palace.

i think we hold in reserve until we get enough cities and rush the palace in a captured dutch city that way, their corruption goes down very quickly, and start produceing faster aiding the war. then we hand build the fp in camelot or provulutia. also, the palace build can compliment a wonder like sun tzu's that we might build. low corruption in all cities, high production, and producing vet units.

build the FP from scratch in Provolutia and then build the palace, with the MGL, somewhere in Dutch land.

DaveShack said:
I play tested this and a MGL cannot rush a palace.

Actually, you can rush a Palace. There was an interesting discussion about this recently in one of the COTM threads. Read posts 24, 25, & 28 in THIS THREAD.

Furiey said:
Interesting thread, I really must lurk in GOTM more often.
I think we need to make a little FAQ for people who came from the GOTM and SGV (Secsession Game Variants) games to inform them that were playing with default rules and no variants ;).

The only real use for a MGL now is building armies. There's really no need for a thread on MGLs anymore.

I just rushed the Palace in a game of mine, but then again it was RaR. I didn't think something like that would be changed from the original. I stand corrected.

The thread that Bertie linked to shows that you can rush a Palace with a MGL, you just can't directly mod the set-up to test it, you have to generate the Leader in-game. Read these 3 posts:

Post 24 - Ainwood sayng he set it up to test it and couldn't rush a Palace.
post 25 - Doc Tsiolkovski saying you caould rush a Palace, you just couldn't set it up to test it that way.
Post 28 - Doc Tsiolkovski giving an example of a Military Great Leader rushing a Palace (with a save if you want to try it).

Armies are much more powerful in conquests. They automatically get an extra movement point. A sword army would have two movement points. Armies pillage for free. For instance, my spear army could pillage the tile it's on, move to the adjacent horse tile, pillage it, then move to another tile. Additionally, their hitpoints heal much quicker than in vanilla/PTW. Build up our military power; build an army.

there has been only one time i wanted to join the gotm, i was ready and everything, but i couldnt find the save. so i decide to not do it .

Armies are good, but filled with swords or horses won't be useful for very long. A more central palace would be preferable IMHO.

Top Bottom