COTM 12 Pre-Game Discussion

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
COTM 12 - Arabia

The ansar warrior was always one of my favorite UUs, so I figured it was about time to take them for a spin again.

Its Monarch, you have a great UU (IMHO), so do you really need a great starting location? ;)

Civilization: Arabs.
Difficulty:: Monarch.
World:: Standard, Continents, 60% Ocean, 3 Billions.
Climate:: Arid, Warm.
Barbarians:: Restless.
Goody Huts:: Workers, not settlers.
Rivals:: 7 pre-selected.

Starting maps:

Conquest class bonus:

1. Total Starting Cash in Treasury: 20 units of gold.
  2. Extra Units: An extra scout
  3. Knowledge: The knowledge of the Wheel (in addition to Pottery & Ceremonial Burial).

Predator class equalisers:

1. AI Unit Support: AI unit support increased to Emperor level.
  2. Barb Attack Bonus: Removed.
  3. Knowledge: Your people are backward. You thought they knew pottery, but that was just mud-hut building.

wow so much desert...

Too bad were not agricultural... :(

This is actually my favorite UU, if there are resources to use it (am I paranoid), so maybe another attempt at Fastest Conquest. Of course, 60% ocean means lots and lots of conquesting.

I can't see making a decision to move the settler until I move the scout. Before I even do that, I'd want to know if the water to the north is a lake or a coast. If lake I can see moving 1N, if not I can see moving 1E or 1SE. I think it likely that my worker will starting mining/roading the oasis right away.

I going to have my scout check out that SE water before I settle. Could be a FP maybe with wheat. If not I agree with A'AA, settle in place and start mine/road on the NE oasis.

Researching the Wheel to locate horses will be a priority if no Japan in the game. After that, trying for Republic slingshot, but that's a lot of techs to research to get it from where we start.

I, too, see something 2NW,W. There also appears to be something 2E,NE. There appear to be plains to the S,SE, which will be good for growth once irrigated. I think heading one or two steps SE would be best, assuming that is fresh water that way.

I don't think you're paranoid Ginger_Ale, I'm pretty sure that is incense. As for settling, I'm thinking of settling 1N, but I'll be sure to check what the water is first.

Not another desert start?! And another 60% world? Short of reliable options offered by the Scout, I'll be heading south-ish for those plains and that forest that are just visible. The oases will make a nice 2nd city location, but not much good for churning out settlers.

I think I will settle at the spot. The question is where to send a scout. Too many apportunities :hmm:
Most likely n nw.

Oasis is the same as bonus grassland, but the rest of the tiles are useless.

Judging by the minimap, we can expect jungle to the north and desert to the east & west. So the most promising land is to the south.

I will move the settler SE, giving my scout 2 turns to find better terrain before I have to decide whether to settle or walk.

You're getting progressively more sadistic, Ainwood. I like it. :p

Renata

@Xevious: I think that's just coastline 2E,NE. There are 2 Incense to the W/NW. I don't use this graphics mod, so I may be wrong, but is it marsh to 2N,NE? (so precious grassland beneath...) As long as the pond E,SE isn't a coastal extension and is actually fresh, I count 12 food available assuming irr deserts, mined oases, and using 2 freshwater. So it is possible to settle in place; after changing gov't, irr the oases and grow beyond 6. Maybe not the best option there, but food for thought. A lot depends on initial scout findings here.

Amendment to above: If the water to N and NW is fresh as well, there is sufficient food after irrigation to grow beyond 6, not counting the hills (mined, they're more productive than irrigated deserts).

Does anyone know if the workers from huts are Arab, or slave?

I am new to Conquests, but have been playing Civ a long time. This "Republic slingshot" is a new term to me. What is it? How does it work? Is there someplace here on the forum where I can read up on it?

solenoozerec said:
:blush: :nono: :love: :goodjob: :ar15: :cooool:
Anyway, what about Renata's second map?

Coming up in June or thereabouts, I believe. It's not sadistic at all. Well, except for one or two things. :cooool:

Renata

Nasty start, Ainwood. Besides the 2 oasis, there is only useless land... :(
I may go on a long trek with my settler, so the scout may prove to be very useful indeed....

On a sidenote...: This seems rather familiar to me. Wasn't the Arabs GOTM (number 23, IIRC) also a desert start?

Top Bottom