Great Leader Edward - How can he help us?

Furiey

No Longer Just Lurking
During last nights eventful turnchat, in the battle of Avignon, Steve's Swordwsman fought to a heroic victory and Great Leader Edward appeared.

Discussions a while back indicated that we wished to build an Army with our first Leader, but a lot of time has passed now, is that still what we want? If we do want an Army, what sort of Army? Knights? or leave the Army unfilled until we get Cavalry? We can't rush Great Wonders with a Military Leader anymore, but we can rush Small Wonders.

Our options at the moment are:
Build an Army
Move the Palace
Rush the Forbidden Palace
Rush an ordinary improvement​
I think an ordinary improvement is a waste of the leader, but is an option so it's in the list. Rushing the Forbidden Palace may not be as silly as it sounds -although Oxford only has 4 turns to go, the Forbidden Palace could be rushed elsewhere, Oxford could then build Leos or Sistine in 54 turns. donsignia could build either in 35 however, so this is probably still not a good option. A Knight army would soon allow us to build the Heroic Epic, giving more chance of leaders and more Armies or the option of the Palace move then.

Or is the another way Edward can help?

I am for the Army. We still have some territory take over to do and a victorious army will allow us to build the Heroic Epic wonder which produce 4 cpt. In addition, we have a higher chance for leaders which can partial rush wonders.

Keep in mind that the Heroic Epic generates a decent amount of culture...

We really must move the Palace.
My preference would be to move the Palace to Husborne Crawley. We should change the build in Oxford from FP to Sistines (Leo's will be less useful since we will have completed expansion in 50 turns), and put the FP in a more "potentially" productive site, further from the capital and on the mountain range with a future leader. Sistines will be helpful for happiness and score. We will build 150 Cathederals by the end of the game. We could play most of the game with all cities in WLTKD with subsequent reduction in corruption.

I would hand build the FP in donsignia. Currently it produces 17 shields. This would drop to 12 if we move the capital (39% corruption). We may want it to accumulate shields for 5 or 6 turns before moving the palace. This would put 100 shields in the bin and leave us 9 turns to complete. Good enough in my view.

We WILL get more leaders in this game, as we will have many more wars. That means we have MORE chances for leaders for moving the palace. The quicker we eliminate our foes, the quicker we can get to 130,000 culture. Let's build an army of Knights - superb army. Then, we can use the next leader to move the palace.

I'm not saying the palace move isn't important - just right now, we need to stop the AIs, and an army will help us do that. Switching Oxford to Sistines in 50 turns is not a good idea - we'll be in the IA by then...or some AI will build it.

An army of knights seems to be only choice ATM. This will make us very close too unstopable because once we have a victorious army, we can build these SGW (Small Great Wonders): Heroic Epic, Military Academy once we get Military tradition, and once we have four armies, we can get the Pentagon. These are the reasons why we need to use Edward for a Knight Army, the best unit we ATM. Don't forget the increased power of Armies in {c3c} They can now blitz, which should have been there from the start, plus the extra movement means we can get to places that ordinary units could not get to before. An Army of knights is the only option we can have.

Army of Knights would greatly boost our offensive capabilities, first choice for me.

Very short sighted guys. :(

A palace move will greatly increase our ability to build EVERYTHING. Units and culture included. The sooner we do it the longer we enjoy the benefit. An army will do what exactly? Help us capture a city every four turns? The extra units we will be able to build will help us more.

I thought that we had agreed in THIS POLL that we wanted a more centrally-located capital. Using the Great Leader for this gives us the most bang for the buck. Armies are great, and I'd love to have several; but a well-placed palace makes more cities more productive which helps us create more military units and eventually more culture more quickly.

An army will be of very limited use once we're finished with our wars. The increased productivity from a relocated capital will benefit Fanatannia for the rest of the game.

I also recall that the majority wanted to move the palace. I agree with m-b that it should be done asap for the largest benefit, and thus it is high time to decide on the practicalities. There are 3 ways to move the palace: (1) use a GL, (2) abandon Camelot, (3) build brick by brick.

IMO option (3) is not feasible, option (2) is not my cup of tea but it is definitely the cheapest, option (1) is now possible but expensive.

If the palace goes to HC, then Oxford is probably the worst possible location for the FP. Donsignia or Provolutia would be better. It seems both will have less trouble building the FP before the palace is moved: a case of bad planning I guess...

A knight army is very useful, but a lower priority than our economy. I would guess that China can be taken by knights and MDI's, for opponents after that we'll be close to cavalry.

We agreed to move the palace a while ago. We had the motive, now we have the means. Rush the palace, in the winner of the "where" poll i guess, with our MGL Edward.

It is pretty irrelevant that we voted some time ago to move the palace. I'd hope we will see a poll on this topic in the near future...

We should build an army. The Heoric Epic allows a greater chance of GLs spawning...

hmm, im for the army, the palace helps our cities with production, but it wot make A LOT of difference, with the other small wonders, we will then be able to make our own armies and the heroic epic will get us more MGL's for later rushing, im for the army

Army. ANything else is a waste, because armys are so cool in conquests and because military leaders cant make great wonders

I checked using Civ assist. The increase of moving the Palace (when the FP completes in Oxford) is a mere 7 gold.
Roosting Tree & Warm'ogh are the locations then. If you ask me; not worth to waste a beautiful army-possibility on.

Remember; this is C3C and the distance between Palace and Forbidden Palace is -unlike vanilla civ- not important.

Rik Meleet said:
Remember; this is C3C and the distance between Palace and Forbidden Palace is -unlike vanilla civ- not important.

Less important, but not unimportant, as the FP makes its home city almost corruption-free. So an FP ar away from the palace is better than close to it.

RegentMan said:
Actually, you only need three armies for the Pentagon.

Once you have the Pentagon, you can have 4 units in an army, instead of the standard 3.

Top Bottom