New unit: Carthaginian Pikeman (20th May 2005)

zulu9812

The Newbie Nightmare
It's finally here!

I'd like to thank utahjazz7 for his wonderful tutorial and continuing help. I'd also like to thank everyone who posted comments in the preview thread. I initially started this project merely as a 'proof of concept' to show everyone at CFC that utah's tutorial works and that now anyone can make units. Originally, my carthaginian pikeman was just going to be a simple colour change. But then I added the shield, and then the helmet, then I made new texture maps for the shield and kilt, then the longer spear, etc. and this unit was born.

As I said in the preview thread, I'm in 2 minds about how to use this unit. One part of me wants to use this as the Carthaginian ancient-age spearman, have a different UU and use the Numidian Mercenary as the Carthaginian medieval pikeman. The other part of me wants to use this new unit as the medieval pikeman (technically, that's why I made it). Suggestions would be welcome.

I don't have Civ installed at the mo, so I'd appreciate it if some kind soul could test it out for me in-game. Looks okay in CivIII FLC, though. I've included the Civ Spearman sounds in the folder, in case anyone doesn't know how to link to the sounds in the real Spearman folder. If anyone either wants to make some specific sounds for the this unit ore suggest some existing ones, be my guest (it would make the unit more unique).

Download Link (784 KB)

Nice unit..

Just curious to ask; on what did you base the unit? Did you have some historical model for it? Carthagians used phalangites, but the shield seems odd..

Not whining it still looks good ; )

Turek said:
Nice unit..

Just curious to ask; on what did you base the unit? Did you have some historical model for it? Carthagians used phalangites, but the shield seems odd..

Not whining it still looks good ; )
It is similar to other known African sheilds. I don't know if it reflects a Carthagian sheild or not. I suspec it is more Zulu then anything. But I think it works well as it helps differentiate the unit. If it looked just like all the other phalanxes of the era with the only differences so subtle that they'd be close to impossible to pickup on in game, would that really be better?

Oh, I say, that is very, very, VERY good for a first Unit! :thumbsup:
Excellent work Zulu! :)

It's awesome and a very welcome addition to my setup. Thanks zulu and utahjazz!

Excellent job. Shield is cool looking. My only critisizms: I hate the hat. It looks like it has bunny ears. And his head looks too large. The spear probably is a little thicker than it has to be (in the south default view, it looks 3 pixels wide).
Great first unit.

Nice debut, Zulu! :)

Really nice unit! Excellent for a first unit as well, this one should be useful.

Top Bottom