Math02: 100K with limited cities

Mathias

OCC Rocks!
I've always wanted to try this, but never got one going on my own. I'm thinking 8 to 10 cities. We will discuss and set the limit before we begin.

The Details
Version: C3C 1.22
Difficulty: Monarch
Civilization: Spain
Opponents: All Random
Map Size: Standard
Barbarians: None
Land Mass: Continents
Water Coverage: 60% Water
Climate: Normal
Temperature: Temperate

The Roster (in order of sign-up)
Mathias
MeteorPunch
Methos
pindicator
Obormot

I'm very tempted, but I'm also very busy at work. I think I should probably pass on this one. Good luck though, all.

Renata

Welcome, MeteorPunch and Methos. Yes, 8 to 10 cities total. I'm leaning toward strictly 8 cities - just enough to get a Forbidden Palace.

Well, I've been looking for a game to brush my rust off with, and this looks like a very interesting one. So if you have a roster spot open up I would love to join in.

commodified said:
This looks difficult. 12,500 culture per city? I will lurk.
That's based on 8 cities. Is this impossible or not? I would up the total to 12 or 15 if necessary.

lurker's comment: 20 cities might be doable with a great starting position. You will need many wonders and have to look out for not scoring a 20k win. Old temple + old lib + old cath + old uni brings in about 20 cp per turn, which is 500 turns to get your 10.000 cp at 10 cities, nearly the whole game. Of course those buildings only double on culture after a 1000 years.

Bamspeedy did it with 5 cities and some extreme micromanagement to make sure that they all reached 20K in 2050 AD. Link to thread. This game obviously won't be anything like that one.

I played a 2CC game on monarch and got both cities to 20K, one a turn later than the other. I believe 8CC 100K is definitely doable.

Welcome, pindicator.

Now then, what civ should we choose? Pick a religious civ and go for monarchy slingshot? Seafaring or commercial for alphabet, or industrious to quickly improve our cities?

What level? I'd be more comfortable at monarch, as we are pushing the difficulty with limited cities.

Map conditions? Barbarians?

Civ: 1. Babylon 2. Ottoman 3. Persia
These because of their traits.

Standard Map
No Barbarians
Monarch (if we're feeling dangerous :evil: )

This game is gonna take a lot of planning, especially for tech tree/wonders.

EDIT: If Monarch, 10 cities.

Scientific isn't my first choice in traits here. I think you are overvaluing the free tech.

Standard map: OK, Landmass/water coverage? Continents, 60% water?
No barbs and no huts - my preference too.
Monarch (I don't want to push the difficulty too much)

Lullaby: I expect an average of about 7,000 culture for each city from improvements by the late 1900s, or about 55K culture for 8 cities. That leaves 45K needed from wonders. We should get most of the AA wonders for about 25K, and all later wonders should be able to cover the last 20K.

MeteorPunch: Bamspeedy also intentionally delayed culture to avoid any one city getting 20K before 2050 AD. With C3C, we could set the single-city victory to 25K, and push for 5CC 100K on a lower level without worrying about the 20K mark.

Edit: Monarch, 8 cities. If terrain is less productive, we can consider up to 10 cities during the game.

Some thoughts on the traits. UU doesn't matter as we'll probably get Ancient Age GA.

With scientific we get 3 free techs which will be monopoly techs. Also, half price culture buildings. The main reason I like them is for increased SGL chances. We will be getting them, and they can be saved for later, unlike MGLs. Wonder rushing is nice.

With Religious we can go up the Monarchy tech tree, switch to Monarchy before GA, then a 1-turn switch and stay in republic for the rest of the game. Early culture doubling temples.

Industrial brings extra production, which will help once cities hit size 7. Any production advantage could help. The worker bonus will be nice at the start, but lose value mid-Medieval age.

Commercial would help with corruption, but will lose value in the Industrial Age with Police headquarters.

Seafaring would be good if we're going Archiapelago. In fact, I think this would guarantee a victory.

Expansionist is good strictly in the Ancient Age. I think it's too risky cause we might not get much out of it. Sometimes that happens.

My vote: SCI, REL, COM, SEA, IND. A combo of these.

Military is worthless. Agriculture isn't good for this type of game.

I think the better case for scientific civs is their reduced cost of scientific buildings. The quicker we get those out, the better culture -- of course. And scientific buildings are more expensive than their religious culture-producing counterparts.

As for civ, though.... It's tempting to go Babylon for the cheap temples and libraries. So I think if we play this on regent, then I say Babylon. If we play monarch, then probably Ottomans, just because I haven't played them too much and I like their UU. But I don't think we should dismiss Egypt either.

So if you were asking for a vote :lol: I'll think about it.

Edit: Looks like I took too much time writing this and you guys beat me to it!

Good point on half-priced libraries and SGLs, but free tech in IA and MT is mostly irrelevant. Of the 5 traits that are useful to us, I would rank REL first and SCI last. My first choice would be Spain - religious seafaring.

Edit: Babylon is overplayed for cultural victories. I avoid them for this reason alone.

Spain would be cool to me.

Can I suggest one rule? If the surrounding terrain sucks to a certain degree we should restart. IE: tundras and deserts. Possibly marsh and jungles.

I didn't want to join at first, cause i'm quite short on time and i'm playing in quite a few SGs already, but this looks really fun and i need a break from all that warmongering, so i think i'll join if there is still an open spot. Actually i think that's the way a 100k game was meant to be played. I don't think anyone in firaxis imagined that 100k will become such a whipping nightmare as it is usually played.
Nation? Any is fine for me. Babylon, Otto, Persia or Egypt sound good.
And what landform should we choose? Archipelago should be easier, but taking archipelago is a little bit of cheating to me. I would take continents or pangaea.

Spain sounds like a winner to me. How about Continents / 70% water / 4 mil so we can put our seafaring to some use without it being too much an advantage.

In truth, I'd play anything, but am just trying to give some helpful suggestions.

Welcome, Obormot.

Spain it is. Continents it is, but I'd rather go with 60% water. Middle options for climate unless we have reason to select otherwise.

I'll get some starts later tonight.

Top Bottom